[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did I fuck myself over by failing community college courses and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Did I fuck myself over by failing community college courses and can I still get into the Universtiy I want to go to?

To start off, I started taking college classes in High school through a "middle college" program, basically taking courses needed to satisfty an Associates of Arts degree. My first year at college I only had like 2-3 more classes to get that degree. Although even while in college I knew nothing on how to be a college student, so I signed up for a bunch of science courses, took the one math class and wellness credit required. Dropped the math and another class, failed Chemistry and the wellness, I lost my motivation and realized I didn't want to study chemistry(I originally wanted to be a chemist) and just kinda stopped going.
I got a 24 overall on the A.C.T. (which was a huge letdown personally)

Now I have found a new purpose, I want a CS major and a minor in Game Design, so that I can one day create and program videogames. I'm slowly getting my motivation back, and I know I want to do this. I have this semester, and possibly another semester if I take summer courses.

Specifically I want to go to Michigan State University (michifag here) their acceptance rate is nearly 70%.

Will the classes i've passed and will pass in this coming semester outweigh what i've failed? Should I apply now, or should I wait until I finish this coming semester. If I simply explain why my grades were poor last semester in my application letter will that help (friends dieing, going to prison, family sickness, etc.) Also, i've passed around 9-10 college courses already, even though it was in highschool, which i feel is my best redeeming factor.
>>
What is your college GPA?
>>
>>17917271
Depends. What is your GPA?
>>
>>17917271

You will just have to apply and see what happens.

Please know that the gaming industry is not only notoriously hard to get into, but also notoriously stressful. The odds of you landing a job even a few years after graduation are going to be very very slim. Also, the vast majority of independent developers are unsuccessful. You should only pursue if you're 100% dedicated and willing to go through some tough times.

If I were you I'd be more concerned about the money side of things. Do you have a scholarship or are you taking out loans? There is a limit on federal loans and once you reach that limit it's either out of pocket or you have to take out a private loan. Depending on how you financed community college, that federal loan money can potentially run dry during the course of your degree program.

Regardless, expect a lot of debt upon graduating and a long time to pay it off.
>>
There is almost no point to taking a CS degree to the Master's level. No job requires it, and let's be honest, if you go for a CS major and a GD minor, you're wanted for your CS major by any company.
>>
>17917276
>>17917278
Attempting to check, i'm having a hard time finding it because I forgot a certain log in info, but I have it written down somewhere.

>>17917304
Yeah I understand the difficulties that come with it, althougn my mind and heart are set on it, regardless a CS major is still extremely useful out of the gaming industry. My current courses thus far have been free. That ends this coming semester. I plan to take loans and work, I also have a good sum of cash saved up from my illegal-doings days.
>>
>>17917327
If your GPA was >3.5 you have a good shot.

Something interesting to consider:

I'm in community college right now and they have a dual-enrollment program with a state university. It costs no extra money and I didn't even need to formally apply to the state university. Even though I'm in my first year of comm., I'm still technically enrolled in the state. See if you have a similar program.
>>
>>17917344
My highschool GPA was around there, which included the grades for my college courses.
I still can't access my transcript, but I know I passed around 8-10 courses, and failed 4 total. And I know failing a course is abysmal for a GPA. So I don't think its near 3.5.

If my current GPA isn't good enough then I can just take more courses, or retake the courses I failed, and reapply right?

And yeah, I see no reason not to look into that.
>>
>>17917368
Yep. All those things would help.

Research the transfer rates from your comm to your desired university. They might have a program that will just let you transfer right in.
>>
>>17917376
I'll look into it. For a guy in college I have no clue how being in college works.

Anyhow, semi-related question, there is another closer university that I have my eye on (the acceptance rate is 78% there) they have a Game Design and Digital animation program that teaches all the skills for game design, creating stories, 2D and 3D animation and design, programming for games, and it's a bachelors program. I've thought about taking this route, but fear that a bachelors in game design wouldn't be as good as a degree in CS with a minor in game design. Especially since the state university i'm interested has a higher ranked program for game design than the bachelors program. Is a degree in game design as useless as it sounds?
>>
>>17917418
It's like playing life on hard mode.

Game Design is only desired by game makers, and that is a very competitive industry. Not to mention, someone who has made a popular game immediately trumps any degree you would have.

Comp. Sci is not as competitive, has the highest project growth rate of any industry, and has a lot of carry-over into other fields. If you take CS, you'll pick up at least some programming and that is valuable on its own.

The University you go to has very little bearing on anything. Do whatever is cheapest/makes you happy.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.