[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal to feel like an outsider in your own family? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1481505317764.png (189KB, 406x564px) Image search: [Google]
1481505317764.png
189KB, 406x564px
Is it normal to feel like an outsider in your own family? I have almost nothing in common with the majority of my family and have differing viewpoints on many topics. I feel more comfortable and a stronger relationship with my friends than I do my parents. I love em, but It's more like I have to cause I'm their son and I lived with until I turned 20
>>
>>17917256

thats normal. its often an edgy teenage behavior thats out grown when the teenager realizes that part of making a relationship to wokr is appreciating someone.

to me it doesn't sound like you love them (or at least that you dont realize you do). it sounds like you say that cuz you dont want to look like a bad person, even to yourself. as you say, its only because you're their son.

you may just be right though. when i look at my family i dont love them except for maybe my mother, and i look at her and i say, why do i love her? do i appreciate her as a person, or simply certain memories that stand out.

its hard to say. maybe im just the edgy teen described.

being an uncle has changed me a bit though. with being an uncle you have to make an active choice to be part of their lives, and you ahve to put up with the changes they will have independent of you, especially since you arent around as much as say, a parent. and thats what made me realize what love is.

looking at a person and deciding if you appreciate who they are.

its harder when you move out i think and you have so much history.

in the end, you are normal. many people feel like you do. some are just edgy. some are legitimate.

if they don't offend you just keep on keeping on and visit once a year.
>>
>>17917256

Yes, absolutely. Has a lot to do with generational gap and simply your personal interests, values, and beliefs you've acquired growing up.

I've found that the older I get the more I relate to my family. There's just some things you wont understand until you age a little and grow and gain experience. Then, you will have at least some common ground with your family and it won't feel as awkward/bad.
>>
Personally, I can see why you are asking this question. And it seems a lot of people have been since the begining of time. A lot of people would just think blood is thicker than water but that is wrong. The original version is the blood of the covenant is thicker than the waters of the womb so I just go with that
>>
>>17917282

holy crap, its amazing how that got bastardized and completely flipped meanings. im researching this now and loving it.
>>
>>17917266
Met my current gf while at uni. A bit into our relationship, she tells me how she's so attracted to me and feels like we have really good chemistry. I thought she was crazy, never had a chick tell me this before her. Anyways a few months pass and we're laying in bed. I look at her and she's smiling alseep in my arms. I mean, any chick could do that, but it made me think. She's fucking right, I never clicked with someone this well before and I enjoy being with her, even outside of sex. Next day she tells me she loves me. Told her I felt the same, fucking starts tearing up. Great fucking feeling man, been dating for a year now. I feel more connected to my gf and the guys I grew up with when I was kid. Maybe it's me man, I dunno
>>
My dad's side of the family are very... traditional and yes, I feel like I have nothing in common with them. Which leads to me not talking much around them, which leads to them thinking that I'm super shy and quiet, the complete opposite of my actual personality
>>
>>17917346

it sounds like your first experience of the sort, and it probably wont be the last. not that your other relationships will (or are meant to) last forever, platonic or otherwise. but its like you said. any girl could do that. is she special, or are you looking for special, or just excited that special seems to be happening to you?

obviously one year later your relationsihp has evolved beyond the fling logic and im happy for you. just take a trip down memory lane sometime and see if what you say really holds up.
>>
>>17917256
Yes.

My family holds some very traditional (and some outright absurd) views, and this can make conversation at the dinner table a bit strained.
For example, my grandmother thinks that Muslims are going to take over the world, and my aunt/uncle feel the need to monitor their 18 year old's phone.
My other uncle is a 45 year old baby that has no car and his laundry done by his mom.

In the end, we only want the best for each other, and would help each other out if/when we need it.
That makes a family.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.