[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How far would someone need to fall to shatter their skull/neck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: building.jpg (12KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
building.jpg
12KB, 300x227px
How far would someone need to fall to shatter their skull/neck (assuming head first and landing on a hard ground)?
>>
>>17916986
The top of a building like that should do quite nicely, especially if you make sure you go headfirst. Good luck, OP.
>>
>>17917016
The building was a random-ass building from Google images. I want to know a distance.
>>
>>17917034

three stories is the safe minimum. from that height there is no way to survive unless you're the main character.
>>
according to google:
2300 newtons of force would be needed to crush a human skull
average weight of a human is 62kg

For height in meters h, the gravitation potential energy is 62kg * 9.8m/s^2 * hm = 607.6h joules

Force of impact is 607.6h/d where d is distance traveled after impact. lets assume a height that's just enough to break the 6.5 millimeters of human skull.

2300N = 607.6hJ/0.0065m
h = 0.0246

surprisingly, not that high
>>
i'm no scientist but 4+ stories is generally lethal

the actual force is super low though, if you were really fucking hardcore you could standing backflip straight onto your neck and kill yourself, it's that low.
>>
>>17917061
So... about 1 inch (2.5 cm)?

I don't believe it but I can't see anything wrong on first glance. I'll try it step by step like you did (but I'll use my mass instead).

52*9.8*h=509.6h
F=E/d

I think there's an issue with substituting .0065 in for d. Can you explain that choice?
>>
>>17917073
That's the thing though: where I live, it's hard to get a 4+ story building but obviously, as you bring up, people can die from just above ground level in certain circumstances (i.e. head first, extra force from another direction, etc.). What I want to know is the minimum for a... relative guarantee of death when simply "diving" headfirst, preferably with a weight attached to the neck to prevent repositioning.
>>
>>17917085
probably a poor choice actually. in reality, the gaps between the spine and the elasticity of the skull can probably cushion the impact before any bone fractures. So d can probably be much more than 6 millimeters, which computes a bigger h.
>>
>>17917100
Yeah the issue is I'm not sure what the proper value to plug in is.
>>
>>17916986
Does anyone have a reasonably conclusive answer, or range?
>>
>>17916986
599 US meters
>>
>>17917452
If you're going to kill yourself by jumping off a building and are too afraid that the buildings in your city aren't tall enough, then maybe drive to another fucking city with taller buildings?

Jumping off the roof of a standard 2 story home onto concrete headfirst will likely have a very very high chance of success.
>>
>>17917555
>drive to another fucking city with taller buildings?
I'm not retarded. Of course I would if I could drive.
>Jumping off the roof of a standard 2 story home onto concrete headfirst will likely have a very very high chance of success.
>>
>>17917592

Take a bus? Taxi? Hitchhike? Walk? Take your parents vehicle?

You're apparently wanting to kill yourself. You shouldn't be concerned about inconveniences.

But you don't have it in you, so you can just fuck off.
>>
>>17917592
>what is Uber
>>
>>17917061
>Force of impact is 607.6h/d where d is distance traveled after impact. lets assume a height that's just enough to break the 6.5 millimeters of human skull.
>2300N = 607.6hJ/0.0065m
>h = 0.0246
>surprisingly, not that high
Lol, that's only if your head doesn't get moved back from the impact, your neck doesn't absorb any of the impact, or you are going faster than the speed of sound of your skull. Not realistic.
>>
I think you want to make sure the building is tall enough so you die of a heart attack before you even reach the ground.
>>
>>17916986
>assuming head first and landing on a hard ground
Don't assume that, unless you have a 100% way to ensure it. Once you're falling there is a lot shit that can go wrong.

Better pick a damn high building to be on the safe side. 100 meters is a good start.
>>
>>17918107
How does Uber even work?

>>17918270
Myth. Doesn't happen unless you're old af and anything will give you a heart attack.

>>17918342
As I mention in >>17917092, I plan to have a weight tied to my neck which would pull my CoM toward my head and help prevent flipping.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.