[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ I come seeking the wisdom of your wisest sages. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1432493754291.gif (171KB, 267x199px) Image search: [Google]
1432493754291.gif
171KB, 267x199px
/adv/ I come seeking the wisdom of your wisest sages.
I've heard that it takes about 8 years to get your doctorate. I'm going for my master's degree because I want to teach at the college level and eventually get tenure.
My question is this: is it possible to teach at the secondary school level or at the community college level while I work on my PhD?
If these are not options, I am going to go to the career fair my university is holding this spring and see what options I have.
>>
>>17907090
What program are you going for? I'm going for a psychology PhD so what I can speak to are those programs. I'm sure there are similarities.

>I've heard that it takes about 8 years to get your doctorate
Not even close. Even clinical PhDs take 5-6 years, and that's including the year-long internship. A non-clinical PhD can take around 4 years.

>is it possible to teach at the secondary school level or at the community college level while I work on my PhD?
For the secondary school, absolutely not. Any teaching in K-12 requires a license and thus and education degree. For the CC, depends on the school. For "regular" universities there are assistantships that are usually teaching and the programs themselves may have "teacher-track" options (basically prep for university-level teaching after graduation).
>>
>>17907247
For the timespan point I made, I'm assuming you've already completed undergraduate. From undergrad to PhD is about 8 years.
>>
>>17907252
Yeah let's see...I'm going for English literature
I'm glad you set me straight on the time frame. So once I get my masters it will take me about 4 years, that is a much better estimate than what I looked up on the internet.
I currently have an assistantship at my program, but my school does not offer doctorates in my field so I am going to apply to a nearby grad school that does when I get closer to earning my masters.
Did that give any better info?
>>
>>17907274
I can't help much with anything specific to English. The only thing I'll add is if you're going into doctoral school with a Master's, you can usually get your new school to drop the time commitment even further. This is usually 1 year, so kind of a bad deal considering the Master's probably took 2, but it's something.
>>
>>17907310
Hey any time is good I guess.
Thanks for the advice anon, I feel pretty confident again. I wasn't feeling too great about my decision and beginning to doubt myself. I'm looking forward to being able to teach.
>>
>>17907090
yes you can teach while working for your masters. most cases your work pays your tuition for masters.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.