[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ is there a good martial art to relieve built up anger?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

/adv/ is there a good martial art to relieve built up anger? Or should i just see a therapist?
>>
>>17901381
acting aggressively doesn't help "relieve build up anger"
go running instead
>>
>>17901385
I do run but it always comes back. I just had a meltdown at work and im about to take a jog soon
>>
I play bioshock 2. Hitting mental challenged people with a drill makes my anger dissipate.
>>
>>17901391
I don't have bioshock 2, but games are usually my go to when i need to relax
>>
>>17901385
That's not true. Traditional Karate that follows some modified version of the Bushido actually teaches you self control and calmness. Kata and the like can be almost like meditation
>>
>>17901398
Is this what you would recommend to someone you know personally? How useful is it for self defense?
>>
>>17901400
It's pretty good for self defence. It really depends on your body type and gender; women should go for something like Aikido as it's about manipulation, but if you're a guy something like karate is good. I mean, you learn a lot of kind of useless moves, but the base moveset is good.

Most Japanese martial arts are good for self control, but if you want to just beat the shit out of people Muay thai or boxing is good.

I suppose if you want something harder than karate then Judo or Jujitsu could be okay.
>>
>>17901411
I mean i cant fight but id like a good mix of meditation and self defense. So i guess i should start with some kind of karate. Im male btw, 23
>>
Do jiu jitsu

Moves are not contundent and raw strength is nothing in most occasions. You have to learn to divert your strength and anger to tought and techniques

If you just want to vent, do muay thai, very straightforward and tiring. But if it's anger management that you seek, go for BJJ
>>
File: 1482299686678.jpg (30KB, 804x446px) Image search: [Google]
1482299686678.jpg
30KB, 804x446px
>>17901435
BJJ it is. You da best anon
>>
>>17901411
>women should go for something like Aikido
I'm a guy. I used to practice aikido. And this is bullshit and sexist. Aikido is super helpful for life in general, and helps to stop conflicts from escalating.
>>
>>17901451
It's not sexist to say that women are less strong than men in general. I know it's helpful. I am a woman. I'm simply pointing out that however much boxing I do, I'm not going to be able to take out a guy on brute force alone, unless they're small.
>>
File: kendo.jpg (129KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
kendo.jpg
129KB, 1280x853px
>>17901381
Kendo you faggot. Hitting people with swords is very therapeutic. Source: 20 years participation.
>>
boxing op, therapists are all dirty jews.

just remember these wise words: the shittier the neighborhood the better the boxing gyms.

>>17901385
>acting aggressively doesn't help "relieve build up anger"

lmao, yes it does. do yourself a favor and go to a boxing gym
>>
>>17901488
But he wants self defence as well. Kendo isn't useful for that (unless you carry a bokken or katana around with you). It's fun, and pretty therapeutic, but about as useful as fencing.
>>
>>17901479
Aikido operates on a completely different mindset than other martial arts. Aikido is not for fighting but for terminating conflicts. I could've picked a more aggressive martial art, but I like this pacific point of view better.

It has nothing to do with strength but with mindset.
>>
>>17901514
Did you even read what I said you moron?

I said that things like Aikido that are -not about strength- are better for women because we're generally weaker and won't fare as well with something like boxing, which tends to rely on brute strength.

Absolutely nothing in my reply contradicts what you said. You're just insecure or something.
>>
>>17901381
Just out of interest ( and sorry to sort of hijack your thread OP) , I also want to learn a martial art but dont want all the dojo stuff that goes along with it. What is the most practical and less ceremonial?
>>
>>17901526
>Did you even read what I said you moron?
Pretty clearly. You said

>women should go for something like Aikido as it's about manipulation, but if you're a guy something like karate is good
I'm not saying that Aikido isn't good for women. I'm saying that suggesting karate over aikido (explicitly) to someone on the sole basis of them being a guy is sexist. And that you cannot compare specifically aikido to other martial arts because it's too different in mindset.

>Absolutely nothing in my reply contradicts what you said.
I'm calling you on your point.

>You're just insecure or something.
>projecting this hard
>>
Martial arts don't release anger. At least no more than any other workout.

Any good cardio and strength training will do a better job.

Meditation is about the best thing you can do as well as fixing lifestyle to include

>Regular sunshine
>Regular exercise
>Regular social interaction with peers
>Good diet
>Good sleep

The mind is merely an extension of the body- treat them well.
>>
File: wyrm2.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wyrm2.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>17901550
>I'm saying that suggesting karate over aikido (explicitly) to someone on the sole basis of them being a guy is sexist.
Not her, but I'm a strong man with a brief history in Thai Kwon Do and this is the most retarded thing I've read in a while.

Recommending Akido for women makes perfect sense because it's fantastic for controlling and manoeuvring the body as well as the mind- which evens or turns the table when you're against someone with more strength than you, which most women in an uncontrolled fight might be.

She's right, you're an insecure manchild or something.
>>
>>17901544
boxing if you're a normal person, muay thai if you're a weeaboo. wrestling(not the wwe kind dumbshit) if you're gay.

these are the most down to earth, tough, and practical combat sports there are. they're not a jack of all trades either so you'll be able to focuse on on area and learn it well.

everything else is fucking manchild tier.
>>
>>17901738
wrestling is far more practical
boxing is one of the most practical for fists-and-stance-only and great for cardio but otherwise is sorely lacking
muay thai is also great for cardio and learning direct impact and point impact, but otherwise pretty poor choice in the west unless you have something specific in mind

>>17901544
>What is the most practical and less ceremonial?
Jujitsu. 0% ceremony and bullshit, 100% practical demonstration and understanding of fighting.
Krav Maga is also 100% practical and 0% woo-woo but it's more for defense by offense
Almost no martial arts in the west come with ceremony and bullshit these days though, unless you specifically look for it or oldschool tutors and the likes
>>
>>17901550
I suggested it because they wanted something harder hitting that Aikido or Tai Chi.
>>
>>17901750
Or do Kendo. I've only seen it at tournaments and seminars, but they are really, really intense about ceremony.
>>
>>17901729
Some forms of martial arts have a meditative element, so you get both.
>>
>>17901381

Being violent doesn't help "release anger" any more than drinking until you black out helps you with alcoholism. All it does it train you to associate anger with violence. Anyone claiming otherwise is an idiot and can be ignored.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.