[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I perpetuate my boyfriend's drinking problem. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: alcoholic1.jpg (14KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
alcoholic1.jpg
14KB, 600x434px
I think I perpetuate my boyfriend's drinking problem. I am sort of emotionally unstable and need a lot of comfort and affirmation, but this stresses him out. I am sincerely working on it - after a productive conversation with him and finally setting up a psychotherapy appointment, I am hopeful that I will cause less stress in his life. However, I did not know that I affected him to the extent that I do. After getting drunk last night, he confessed he did it because life is so stressful because of work and responsibilities to me. Since he only works part time, that means I am a big contributor to the issue. He drinks or does weed regularly, so this is not a one-off instance.

I can't deal with causing someone so much pain. How can he love me if I make him do this? What if I can't become more secure even after taking steps to change? Would it be "for his own good" to leave him and let him find someone more independent? I don't want it to come to that, as I love him very much.
>>
As someone with a drinking problem and a gf: I like to blame my problems on others because I know deep down that I'm the problem and it hurts.
Unless you're actually abusing him or something of that nature assure you that you are a very tiny slice of the pie that contributes to his problem and that while seemingly noble it would be to leave him so he can get better, it will not contribute to much change

My suggestion is to have a talk about the relationship and ask him if he really feels that way
Be completely honest like you were here just say it to him
>>
>>17900463
Do you think I'm doing some positive in his life and making him happy? I do talk to him about this and he assures me that I am a net positive. I am worried that he's deluding himself when he says that, though, (maybe my low self-esteem is contributing to that), because he is also lonely and wants someone to care about him. What if he is just trying to make it work with me while he secretly resents me? I really hope not.
>>
self-medication is extremely common in those with above-average IQs or any kind of stress or anxiety disorder

This sounds less like problem alcoholism (binge drinking, having 5+ drinks in one sitting every day, blacking out, etc.) and more like self-medication alcoholism (1-2 drinks a day, no desire to black out).

"Drunk words are sober thoughts" is bullshit.

If you think leaving him wouldn't make his drinking worse you're wrong.

On an unrelated note it also sounds like you have some extremely serious self-esteem issues to work through.

If you're worried about how he feels about you the answer is to ask him, but that won't work very well if your self-esteem is so low that you don't believe him when he says he wants you around.
>>
>>17900519
You're right. I will trust him when he says this. However, sometimes he does drink to the point where his memory of what happened while drunk disappears, (his memory is naturally bad already though), and he has more than five drinks, like the time that I mentioned. Is it considered binge drinking if he does this occasionally, like one or twice a month?

Why is that quote bullshit?
>>
>why is that quote bullshit
because while inhibitions are absolutely removed, so is the ability to coherently string words together. Diction choice in the very drunk is poor, and even the completely sober are prone to misspeaking.

>is it considered binge drinking
binge drinking is defined by BAC, most men reach that level at 5+ drinks consumed in a short period (~2 hours)

>Once or twice a month
Binge drinking ever is a bad idea, but once or twice a month isn't the kind of horrible drinking problem that tends to ruin lives. Still, you should both probably try to ensure he doesn't reach that level of intoxication. Fatty liver and kidney stones aren't fun. If there's any non-alcohol method of stress relief you guys can work out that'd be for the best.

t. functional alcoholic and panic-disorder-haver
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.