[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 18 and highschool is soon coming to a close, but I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1459317579602.jpg (42KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
1459317579602.jpg
42KB, 600x476px
I'm 18 and highschool is soon coming to a close, but I have no idea what I'm going to do once it's over. Everyone I know has a set plan already, but I haven't even applied to any colleges because I don't know what I want to do with my life. Is this normal or am I fucked?
>>
Go to a trade school for a year or two and get certs to be an electrician or heavy equipment operator, that way even if you never figure out what you want you'll always have money in the bank.

Also if you're a male what you want is to be a father if you're a woman what you want is to be a mother. You may doubt me but you'll realize this in 8 years.
>>
No, the least you can do is go to a community college of some sort. Just apply bro, everyone has done it. It doesn't even matter what you do just find something you are okay with handling so that in the mean time you can figure things out.
>>
>>17898439
Hmm I never considered a trade school. Would becoming an electrician be the best bet? Doing something health related sounds a bit interesting, but I don't know if it's the most viable
>>
>>17898440
>community college
Don't listen to this, Community College is a waste of time if you don't know what you want to do,

TRADE SCHOOLS, you don't spend much money and you gain a lot of skills you can use outside of the job they train you for.
>>
>>17898450
>Hmm I never considered a trade school. Would becoming an electrician be the best bet?
Sure, you'll never be without a job and it won't ever be phased out by robots.
>Doing something health related sounds a bit interesting, but I don't know if it's the most viable
Its not, unless you're already extremely skills in chemistry and biology and have family that can get you started at their private practice once you leave Med School. Anything other than a doctor has pretty shit pay compared to most trade school jobs.
>>
>>17898434
>dat santa hat placement
>>
>>17898453
That's helpful to hear, thank you. Any other good trades to look into?
>>
>>17898458
I don't know the title but people who do maintenance on the water system, there are some not so glorious jobs in there like Sewer stuff but the Sewer guys get close to 200k because the work is so shit.

I've heard Appliance Repair is pretty good too.
>>
>>17898460
Alright, thank you again. Gotta do my research now and see if it's for me.
>>
Don't go to university/college if you don't know what you are good at/want to pursue, it's a waste of money, and a whole lot of my friends dropped out in 1-2 years because of this.
>>
>>17898458
The world will always need plumbers, mailmen, bus drivers, barbers, electricians, construction workers, file clerks, truck drivers, auto mechanics, HVAC techs, cops, firemen, paramedics, salesmen, etc, etc.

All honorable and well-paying professions.
>>
>>17898451
>no trade schools near me
>only community college
Fucking kill me already I've been out of hs for almost 3 years and still can't think of anything to pursue. Already tried the military which was my last hope but that didn't work out.
I thought of trying CC (don't know for what) but the thought of having to go through bullshit tests and essays like in hs is a huge turn-off.
>>
I'm in community college and I still don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do when I transfer. Then again I'm only there to play a sport. It's pretty sweet seeing people get into thousands in debt while I pay $40 per semester at my school
>>
>>17898434
Study a topic that opens a lot of doors or learn a trade.
It's better to have opportunities/income than be NEET.
>>
>>17898646
>Honorable
That's stepping a bit far. Sure, they're always needed, but they're also the jobs for people who have no passion/ other choice. To say being a lemming is honorable deeply diminishes where honor should properly be given.
>>
File: untitled0004.png (85KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
untitled0004.png
85KB, 279x181px
>>17898434
If you are really unsure, join the military for a few years.
>>
>>17898434
Everyones right. Trades is your bet.

>is this normal.

Nope but its best. Most of your friends will fail, or pass and then not be able to get good jobs and theyll be saddled with massive debt.

Your hs teachers failed to mention the millions of other opportunities. I still dont know if its unintentional or if theres a tinfoil hat level government conspiracy to make sure people fill high education jobs.

You could literally go buy cleaning supplies and advertise a carpet cleaning service or mobile car detail. People would pay 80+ an hour for you do do that simple shit.

Youll be fine man. But seriously get a trade skill.

Source. Im a carpenter with a moderately successful side business.
>>
>>17898434
I have a few suggestions:

Tell your parents.
Get a part time job.
Take a few community course classes
Go to a trade school.
Join the army reserve.
Help your parents out, if you live with them.

After doing any of these:
Wait a few months and see if anything interests you.

No rush, plenty of people don't know what to do next.
>>
>>17899733
You clearly arent in the trades.

Its not an assembly line or labour job. It requires good math skills, engineering knowledge and moderately High intelligence to make it to journeyman.

We dont deceive or step on fingerd on our sites. We come, we build your roads highways bridges skyscrapers and go home, then yoy use them without thinking about us. And were fine with that.

It is highly honest and honourable. And youd be surprised how many people with bachelors join up.
>>
>>17899733
>>17899784

Also it requires four years of schooling, which involves math most people dont see in highschool, on the job training, and since when was being able to build things not a passion?

Carpenters have been around for 12000 years. Our skills are sought and respected across cultures and generations. How is that not a thing to be passionate about?

Sorry to go on and on man. Its just youre definitely thinking labourer. There is a huge difference.

Its like calling all scientists interns because every time you pass a lab you see the guy bringing coffee in for everyone.
>>
>>17899784
I actually am an apprentice electrician and my father has been in the business his entire life. The fact that you said "they do all the hard work and no one acknowledges them" is the same thing as saying "its not an honorable job".

I get you should feel pride in what you do but don't start getting high and mighty about it. You're a 21st century Egyptian slave, whoopdee-fucking-doo.
>>
>>17899806
Oh. Well thats a poor attitude mang.

The honour starts in yourself. It is an honour to be proud of your work, and its an honour to be able to serve people with unique skills no one else has.

You should be honoured to be an electrician. Youre incredibly necessary to the entire framework of society. Without you and your skill, think of all the people who would be killed by shoddy work?

And honour also lies in not having to inconvenience others and step over their faces for your own gain. Nah just come in do your work and go.

Thats honourable mang. Share in it with us.

>slave

Wouldnt call myself a slave at 30 bucks an hour..
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.