[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like the path I'm taking in life is being guided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1475730444496.jpg (57KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1475730444496.jpg
57KB, 604x604px
I feel like the path I'm taking in life is being guided by the expectations my parents have on me, rather than my desires. I am 21, and currently studying film, because I don't see myself having a conventional job and striving for a succesful career on any other field (I do know making it as a filmmaker is very hard, but I believe I could do it, if I put the effort into it). However, this isn't what I truly want, but something much more simple, a life in or near a small town, working an honest, stable job. I don't need any luxuries, just some comfort, time to do what I want, a small social circle and perhaps a family one day. Its important to say that I've never lived like this. I was born and raised in a big city, middle-high class. The closest I've been to it is when I visit my aunts, who live in small towns in the US. I have always felt much more comfortable there.

My problem is that I don't know where to start to get there. Although it would be tough for me to talk to my parents about this (since they've invested considerably on my education), I believe I can get them to support me. I was thinking of maybe staying with one of my aunts in Texas for a prolonged time, see if I truly enjoy living there. But after that, how do I transition my life completely? I'm just feeling lost.

TL;DR how do I drop my city life and move to a comfy small town? How should I prepare?
>>
File: 1474600025655.png (494KB, 480x829px) Image search: [Google]
1474600025655.png
494KB, 480x829px
Self bumping because I can't sleep
>>
You just get a simple job as a bartender or some shit
Rent is lower is small cities so you don't need a lot of money to get by

I'm kinda confused what you're asking
>>
>>17898289
>because I don't see myself having a conventional job
>working an honest, stable job
Huh?

Also it sounds like the typical grass is greener shit, you idealize the simple life because it was a temporary switch from your current one, having a decent relationship with your aunts probably helped too.

I'd be best to at least finish your degree so the money and time isn't completely wasted and then start with the "living with aunt for a while" plan. Gap year and all the shit. Ideally also getting a job there so you experience the real deal.

IF you happen to really like it, which is a big if, explaining the situation to your parents shouldn't be a big deal. Besides you could pay them back for college later if you feel that guilty about it.
>>
>>17898374
Isn't it kinda pointless to finish my degree if I am sure it won't make me happy? I'm only really doing it because I have a great interest in film, and am sorta good at the skills required. But it doesn't truly give me joy. Its another 2 1/2 years of time and fees I could save if I drop it early.
>>
>>17898398
Can you really be absolutely sure that you won't want to give it a try in couple years and know what will and what won't give you joy in say 5 year or a decade?

Perhaps there is an option to take a semester long break or something.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.