[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm worried that I don't have what it takes to go through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

I'm worried that I don't have what it takes to go through college.

I am diagnosed with a learning disability. I'm going to explain to you what learning a new concept is like for me. I want you guys to relate my experience to how it is like for you guys to study and tell me how big the difference is. Because if i'm only a little worse at studying and just getting in my own head about it that would be good to know.

If I open a page in a book and look at a paragraph explaining a new concept i'll usually understand what it's trying to tell me. However after I read it and I give myself some time, I can't verbally explain what that paragraph was saying later and I have to read it all over again. Even if I put in effort to remember it after I read it the first time.

After about 15 to 20 minutes of reading, I burn out and it doesn't matter how many times I read a new concept. It doesn't stick then.
If it's something I can actually practice like math then even if I do 100 examples of the math problem i'm learning, I will forget what that math was in a few days.

I can't tell if it's because my studying methods are just really poor or what. But making a new concept stick is really hard for me. If this is just too much of a handicap to have any chance at college I need to know now so I don't go into debt on a wild goose chase of higher education and do something more practical like trade school instead.
>>
Most (decent) universities have some sort of learning support service where they can help you if you have a learning disability. You could also take a smaller course load so you can spend more time on the material
>>
>>17888374
You're fucked, college is mainly about regurgitation and explaining what you learned.
>>
>>17888378
Hit post too soon.

It also depends on what you study. If you study something that's more holistic and less skill based, then you might have an easier time. Your disability sounds like it mostly affects things that can be separated into discrete concepts, like solving a particular type of math equation. You might be better at something that's perhaps more essay-based
>>
>>17888380
If that's what you're finding, then you're doing college wrong.
>>
File: 1482133977921.jpg (86KB, 737x700px) Image search: [Google]
1482133977921.jpg
86KB, 737x700px
You sound a bit like me. Unless you're willing to put the huge amount of effort in to learn what you need to learn and study (you will need to learn a lot) college/university will not be worth your time.

I tried a physics degree. I didn't put enough effort into my studies, so despite attending every lecture in my course I flunked my first year exams and my retakes. It was a waste of a year and several thousand pounds.

You will not be able to have nearly as much fun as your classmates.
>>
I'm the same way, OP. I have a hard time learning stuff by reading. Try this: once you read a paragraph, summarize it in 2-3 sentences on paper. Once you're done with the chapter, read what you wrote. You can also try another method, which depends on the format of your textbook. For the chapter you're reading, write down all the titles and headers of every paragraph and such, but leave enough room between them to write your 2-3 sentences there. You could also draw diagrams and stuff instead of writing sentences or a mix of the two.

I hope this helps
>>
Find your student disability center. Look up accommodations for learning disabilities online and propose them if the ones the disability center proposes would not be helpful for you.

If there's a learning mode other than reading text that works better for you, you could try to find out how to get your study materials in that format.

Theoretically there's supposed to be help to even the playing field for disabled people in college, but my experience and that of other people I know is that you will still have a harder time, especially if you don't advocate for yourself. I got my BS in a STEM field at least, though, and I have multiple disabilities that affect energy and cognition and focus.
>>
By the way, if you decide against it or you drop out, don't feel bad. College is set up to physically and mentally torture even nondisabled people.
>>
>>17888391
It's what I've found too. Universities are corrupt conglomerates that exist to promote the failed Pearson education guidelines.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.