[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in getting a job at bartending. I currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (251KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
251KB, 1920x1080px
I'm interested in getting a job at bartending. I currently have a full-time job at a hardware store. I get paid $8/hr and have worked there for 2 1/2 years. A few pros about the job: it keeps constant non-changing hours, I get holidays off, and I learn as I work. The cons? No outlook to any raise anytime soon, boss wants to cut hours in the future, and just being disinterested in learning anything there now. The one I am interested in will be opening New Years Eve, offering $9/hr from 4 to 12 PM on weekdays and Saturday 4 to 2 AM. I'll be starting off as a barback but can work my way up to a bartender.

My problem with this is that I feel like I will regret making this decision. Maybe the hours and payment are a lie to get me to work with them. They don't know I work full-time and they don't know I get paid the amount I do, so they are not bribing me with that. I also feel like it will be a very shitty job in general and I will be treated badly. If it's important, I've had four jobs total and am 22 years old.

And yes, I have considered working both jobs and refuse to do so. Working 8 AM to midnight nonstop does not sound fun.

So, help me please. Am I being paranoid? Should I stop being worried? What would you do?
>>
Bumping before I get groceries.
>>
>>17882967
Bartender here, I never leave work without $300+ a night

Do it. It's worth a shot
>>
id say take it for the learning experience, you'll learn the ins and outs of that first then move on up if you show incentive
also you mentioned it was a new place,so im sure they will train you from the get go
starting as a barback isn't so bad and most likely you'll be making some extra tips along with the bartenders
if you're serious i would find a way to schedule both jobs without conflicting issues it can be done hope this helps
>>
>>17883236

Hah. A shot.
>>
>>17883241
>if you're serious i would find a way to schedule both jobs without conflicting issues it can be done hope this helps
I considered it like I mentioned in the OP, but I am not up for those hours. I work at the hardware store 8 to 5, then I'd have to come in the bar at about 6 to closing.

>>17883236
What state? I live in a small city in the south, so tip amounts may vary.
>>
>>17882967

Bartending ain't a bad job, but you HAVE to have charisma, charm, and be a good listener because for the most part, you're a drunken psychologist. You're mostly there to pour people drinks and listen to their woes and bullshit that happened to them throughout the week.

If you're not a sociable person, and can't fake emotions, don't bother doing it.
>>
>>17883252
I am very bad at faking emotions. Never really saw a male bartender pretend to show a mask. It was always a girl if they did.
>>
>>17883261

Well if you can't fake it, then you just simply have to have an extremely high tolerance or genuinely enjoy the company of others. Theres also a lot of preparation and cleanup. Even though a shift is like 8-10 hours, always show up early (unless your bar is very low profile), and it's very common to stay 1-3 hours after your intended shift purely for cleanup.

You gotta know things as well, because most people trust you a lot because you're serving up their drinks. They'll be asking you questions, general advice, and other crazy things. I was never a bartender, but I've worked jobs where I've interacted with many bartenders. It's also not all fun and games because your main job is to see and make sure everyone else is having fun before you can have fun, but like I said, if you enjoy social interaction, you'll enjoy being a bartender.
>>
>>17882967
>but can work my way up to a bartende

that will take years ? you have to learn how to make all the drinks

they have classes for that

otherwise can you breath all that gdamn cigarette smoke 40hrs/week ? yuck
>>
>>17883261

dont do what>>17883291
said. Classes are mostly a waste. You can learn all you need to know from books, videos and shadowing and it really doesn't take long. I learned how to do a few drinks from simply interacting with the bartenders at my job.

oh and one more thing, if you decide to work as a bartender, say goodbye to your weekends.
>>
>>17883291
https://www.quora.com/How-many-months-years-are-you-a-barback-before-you-become-a-bartender
>>
>>17883295
I live in a dry county for Sundays, so the bars are closed Sundays and Tuesdays. Not too bad.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.