[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to check out an apartment tomorrow. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_lkd3w42deB1qc8fef.jpg (39KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lkd3w42deB1qc8fef.jpg
39KB, 500x375px
So I'm going to check out an apartment tomorrow. It's about 15 minutes walking from my campus so I'd really love to get this place if I can (I have a long commute right now). Just wondering if there are any questions I should ask the landlord tomorrow. It's my first time doing this. I already know I should ask about utilities cost.
>>
>>17881976
Really there isn't too much to ask.

Make sure all the door knobs & locks work from both sides, make sure all the windows open and close, and can be secured, check all the electrical outlets, and light switches. Toilet flushes, hot water works in all sinks and shower, all appliances are working, and then read your entire lease package before signing the contract.

Why ask about utilities, that's all based on your own usage, and it's not like he lives there and could tell you.

As far as his utilities are concerned, when noone else is paying them, shit is turned off.
>>
Read the contract. Make sure you take a video of every fucking square inch of the place before you move in. Flush the toilet and test the water pressure and temperature in the shower, and read the contract twice.
>>
Ask about bedbugs
>>
>>17881980
Well I found this on craigslist, and almost always see posters mention utilities (either its included in the bill or they mention how much extra it'll be).

But thanks for the tips. I'll go with everything you guys said.
>>
>>17881976
From experience
>check for mold on walls, especially behind any furniture
>if the heating is electrical you can just walk out, shit costs a fortune and barely works
>ask about the internet, some landlords provide on their own while others force you into signing a contract in your name
>never trust anything that isn't in writing
>>
>>17882015
Thanks, didn't think about that with heating but I'll find out tomorrow.
>>
>>17881980
You can check if the electric outlet work by bringing with you a nightlight.

For anyone who will be paying for their own utilities, know the local rate, as e.g., hydro monthly delivery charges differ WILDLY in the province of Ontario.

Check that the lock is a dead bolt and that the strikeplate isn't wore out (make sure there is a strike plate, if there isn't, ask if you can install one). Who will have the keys to your apartment unit? (in addition to landlord/super)

Check the LAUNDARY room! Check the basement floor even if you don't live on that floor as if there is a cockroach problem, the basement is usually the worse and where you might be able to smell it.

Ask about methods of payment (usually cheques, but some landlords now accept direct deposit), and if you don't see a box in the building where you can drop off cheques, ask about HOW.

Ask about the noise policy so you don't make your neighbour mad, and so you don't suffer from noisy neighbours who keep you up at night.

If you are viewing a still occupied unit, ask what actually comes with the unit, I found out the hard way that the curtain rods weren't included when the last tenant took them with her. If the curtain rods aren't included, "Oh, do you know what type of curtain rods I should get and where? Thank you!"

Be very polite and thank them for their answers, treat this like a job interview. If you love features in the apartment, tell them so, out of their list of people to call back, they will likely spend their time on someone who is interested enough to commit.

Arrive early in the neighbourhood so you won't be late, but also so you might have time to talk to a wandering would-be neighbour about the building/
>>
>>17882644
...and...what internet providers will service the building?

The reason you should check the laundry room is because you want to see how many machines there are per tenant, is there a line-up when you went down to check it? Is it dirty? How much is it?

Make a checklist of what you want, what you don't want, what are absolute dealbreakers or what could add up to being dealbreakers so you don't get pressured into something wrong, and think of what is going to be problematic but is something you can handle. Do you know a laundrymat near your school? Cause if the apartment is GREAT except for laundry room, then you have that option.
>>
Switch lights on n off. Doors have locks. Questions you might genuinely have like is parking included, pets allowed, first n last months rent security. Will they paint before you move in. Can you sublet.
>>
>>17882644
Thank you. Half of these things didn't even occur to me.

>>17882672
If the laundry room sucks, I can probably get a friend to let me into their building and do laundry there. There's probably other places not far, but I don't drive so my options are really limited.

>>17882678
No car/pets allowed and she has a last month rent security.

I'm also under the impression that she wants someone to move in ASAP but I'll ask about the paint anyway.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.