[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a B.A in Communication and now I'm having a tough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Take me away.gif (662KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
Take me away.gif
662KB, 800x528px
I got a B.A in Communication and now I'm having a tough time finding work, I don't even know what I can do with it and I have no aspirations or dream jobs either. All I can tell you is I enjoy talking, I have a motor-mouth and I also speak really loudly sometimes as well.

Any jobs I should look for? I really just wanted some basic office job or something making like $30,000 or even $40,000 at the most that was full time and gave benefits. My mom is pressuring me to go back and get my M.A but I really, REALLY don't want to go back to school right now. I just wanted to get a decent job, and move out on my own but I didn't realize finding work was so tough. I live in Texas and there is NOTHING here, like the job market in my state is slim right now.

I can't afford to live in Austin or a big city because the cost of living is high there, you'd have to make a lot of money to survive in Austin, figured the same was for Dallas as well. I can't even find entry level jobs in my state, but any suggestions? I know getting an M.A might help my chances in life, but God am I sick of school. I just recently got my B.A and that took me 5 years, and I didn't even enjoy my college experience.
>>
>>17880588
what mind of communications degree? Like public speaking and linguistics?
Idk what kind of jobs that would even specify for? I guess a public relations position for a company, do you have any other degrees to help boost your resume?
>>
>>17880643
Well it's called Communication Studies but I focused on Interpersonal mostly. I know you can do PR work with a Communication degree, also what other degrees would I have to boost my resume? I don't have anything else just a B.A, I thought that might be good enough. I mean, what else could I do? I know you can get some certifications to do certain kind of work like Human Resources or something like that.
>>
Try copywriting
I did journalism and I got a job as a copywriter
I suppose journalism is similiar to comms?
>>
>>17880588
You can totally live in Austin for 30-40k and there is lots of work there. Might need a roommate if you can't be frugal enough though. How many applications have you sent?
>>
>>17880588
I had this exact problem, and I solved it by becoming a stripper.
>>
>>17880951

post tits
>>
>>17880588
Sales
Customer service
Editing
Tech writing
PR
Retail
Any job that involves dealing with the public

You don't need an advanced degree. Just build your resume around skills rather than experience - there are templates for skills-based resumes online - and sell your self as just the guy they want rather than just a comms major.
>>
>>17881023
I know PR makes good money, I don't have any experience with it though. I'd need to find ENTRY LEVEL stuff though, also I want to stay away from blue-collar stuff. Like retail to me is blue-collar unless you're upper management and even then that's stretching it. Saying you're the manager at a pet store isn't really that great.

>>17880904
Well I haven't looked around Austin area much, I've sent quite a few resumes to Dallas though but no look really. I'll start checking the Austin area, but I really need the company to have a relocation package or something. I live in a small east Texas/rural town, and it's about a 5 or 6 hour drive from where I live to Austin. If a company did hire me they'd have to give me time to relocate, also it'd be nice to get a relocation package.

Sad thing is a lot of companies probably want local applicants, that's what sucks. They'd probably rather hire someone already living in Austin, then hire someone who lives 6 hours away, but I don't mind relocating.
>>
File: logo.png (18KB, 600x308px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
18KB, 600x308px
>>17880588
Hey OP, I know you're in a tough spot, I will pray for you

I volunteer at a homeless shelter and assist in findings jobs, there are many job openings out there. Since you have a B.A. in Communication Studies, why not look into a teaching job. There are many ISDs that need qualified teachers and there are many openings

Also, instead of looking to Austin, why not try someplace smaller like Waco instead? It's only about a 90 minute drive away from Austin or Dallas
>>
>>17881036
You'd be suprised man. Everyone who I've known who has a degree and found work out there from my area has gotten a some cash to help move. Never hurts to ask if the interview goes well. Your full time job is to find a job though. Tailor your resume to each job (aka just make specific skills more visible depending on the job requirements) and send out several a day.

If bums and non educated people can make it out there so can you.
>>
>>17880697
perhaps another Comm. in something more hands on? Like im going to be taking communications courses this fall for film making, like editing, camera work, marketing ect.
I also have a friend who majored in communications with a minor in art, so he does graphic design now. He works for some company that sends him all over the country making designs for things from websites to book covers
My advice, if you start to have trouble finding work go back and get a minor in something slightly different but still in the same realm to give you more options and look more appealing. You might not get exactly what you want right away, but you could network and make connections for later on
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.