[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel guilty for taking time away from work. My workplace has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 08_11_2014_DMC0305.jpg (95KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
08_11_2014_DMC0305.jpg
95KB, 480x640px
I feel guilty for taking time away from work.

My workplace has 25 days annual holiday but I only took 15 days off this year.

I've worked there for three years and haven't taken a single day off sick. I asked the HR person if I could take off the first two weeks of January and she allowed it, but I feel guilty for being out of work for 21 days since we break up for the holidays on the 23rd (although I will have some work to do over the holidays from home).

Another of my colleagues left for his holidays on the 6th of December and will have taken 28 days off at one time by the time he gets back in January, although he has been here for much longer and tends to stay for longer hours.

Am I being stupid / paranoid?

I am a very guilt-prone person and I hate the idea that I will be viewed as a slacker or as selfish.

Thank you.
>>
You work to have money to live you don't live to work. It's no big deal to take time off work
>>
>>17879798
I just feel so guilty, especially since I'm quiet at work and tend to keep to myself rather than engage in gossip and so on. I feel like I'm being a punk kid or ungrateful for taking advantage of the holiday period to extend my holidays.
>>
>>17879788
I met someone who was like this before. They had days off each year that they never ended up taking. I lost all respect for them due to this.
>>
>>17879820
The reason I didn't take them was because I've been looking for another job and was thinking about quitting too. Also from what I've read online it's very common for people in Western countries not to take up their allotted holidays due to fear of being fired or mistrusted by management.
>>
>>17879832
Yeah, it is very common, but it just shows how useless those employees are. I always take all ofy days off because I am not a crappy employee and I know it. My boss would never question it because my boss does not want to replace me. Also, you look week not taking all the days off. If you were the manager, would you respect one of your employees if they didn't use all of the vacation days they were given? I certainly wouldn't
>>
Eh, it really depends what sort of job you're doing. I had a job where quarterly bonuses where given out according to amount of raw production you pushed through. Not using up all free days kinda made sense, because you would make more money.

If you have a McJob though, then you might as well use them.
>>
I have three weeks of PTO saved up, taking a few days off between Christmas and New Years but don't know what to do with it otherwise..
Don't really have any friends to travel with either so I'd probably have to go by myself. Maybe I'll go to Star Wars Celebration in Orlando this year, though that's only a few days.
>>
>>17879843
I'm not sure. The thing is when I joined the company had 5 people and I joined as entry-level but it has grown pretty big since then with like 30 staff. But my job is still pretty entry-level and I think my boss knows it's not really a job I enjoy, since I'm still doing pretty much the same work despite other people joining and doing more senior work than me (although they have worked in the industry longer). Also there are no skills involved with my work besides being familiar with the software we use, which I guess is a skill.

I don't know, I just feel like I'm being this selfish person, although maybe that's because of other things (like my personality and so on)
>>
>>17879788
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>17879788

some people are naturally guilty. i have an unlimited PTO policy at my wokr and its HELL.

at least when they give a solid restriction you can stay ahead of it by saying 'well im allowed 3 weeks off, so if i only take 2 weeks off im still a good employee :)' but when you have unlimited PTO just asking for two days off for a trip to vegas wtih some friends felt like HELL.

I told my boss this and he offered me two weeks off (not including the big holiday breaks i get) and insisted that if i need more its there.
>>
>>17879862
OP, it sounds like you are know you have to look for a new job. It seems like that's he best option for you. Of you truly don't want to feel guilty about taking the time off, spend a lot of time looking for a new job. If you take it off and just waste it, then feel guilty
>>
>>17879847
It's not a McJob. I work for a start-up company in a major city. Have worked there straight out of college for three years, in which time it has grown pretty big in the industry. I work from 8:30am to 5:30pm and had 23 days holiday for the first two years (although we didn't have to work over the Xmas week either). This year holiday was extended to 25 days and I took 15 days so far. There are bonuses here but they are just quarterly bonuses which are earned providing you meet targets.

The work itself isn't difficult and much of my colleagues and I spend a few hours each day reading clickbait and the usual time-killing stuff associated with office work. It's just since it's not a huge corporation there's a sense of loyalty or personal trust between the boss and I, and I don't want to seem like more of a slacker than I already do.

Sorry for the long posts.
>>
>>17879865
No idea sorry.

>>17879879
I don't intend to waste it all, and I will be looking for a new job during my holiday. It's just in my workplace I am a pretty quiet person and just get on with my work and avoid gossiping, banter, and so on. I think this makes people suspect I am trying to fly under the radar and get away with doing nothing all day or that I'm childish for not just smiling and being more of an outgoing guy.

If I had marketable skills I wouldn't mind so much, but it's the fact that my work isn't necessarily difficult it's just I do it well because I've been acquainted with the software we use for three years now, but I can be replaced and I'm sure one or two people are wondering why it is i am still hanging around.
>>
>>17879788
You've earned that time off. Don't feel guilty. That's how than Man wants you to feel. Take your time off.
>>
My goal is to never sacrifice my personal life for work. I'm not always successful, but I think it's a good attitude to have. Companies don't really care about you, even startups.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.