[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I start college in about 6 months and I want to study Computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: troubledHifumi.png (735KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
troubledHifumi.png
735KB, 1280x738px
I start college in about 6 months and I want to study Computer Science, but I want to get a bit started on programming.
I already know some sql, html, css and just a tiny bit of js, what should i get into now?
>>
>I start college in about 6 months and I want to study Computer Science, but I want to get a bit started on programming.
I already know some sql, html, css and just a tiny bit of js, what should i get into now?
>>
>>17873498
>>
>>17873498

i wouldn't worry. do any recommended reading that comes with the course, but if you got 6 months why not enjoy it before becoming a slave to class
>>
File: 1452712143809.png (219KB, 784x783px)
1452712143809.png
219KB, 784x783px
>>17873498
>sql, html, css
those are baby easy mode languages, Learn some C, C++, Python and some form of bash shell command.

Learn about data structures and algorithms. learn some basic assembly and how a cpu, ram and the like interact. go fucking learn some calc 1-3 and diffy q you are gonna need that shit.

Learn about the different paradigms like functional programming OOP and the like. Start making some hobby project that you can show to employers when you start looking at interships.

have fun and don't do this >>17873557
when I was in college for comp sci a bunch of people did that and were behind the curve, struggle and if they finished had hardships finding a job
>>
>>17873560

>people who did the recommended reading were behind the curve

okay.
>>
>>17873574
the people who only did the recommended reading and didn't do anything else were behind the curve.

why said person only did the readings the rest of the class was ahead of the game learning and applying newer and better programming practices and because of that they get the better internships and they get them sooner and they get better jobs and just go way ahead of the people that only do the recommended and don't go the extra mile.

this isn't like a liberal arts degree, Uni only teaches you the theory and you are responsible for learning the application of said theory.
>>
>>17873593

OP alreay knows sql, html, css, and a little js.
doing the recommended reading on top of that is just fine.

im sure you're really dumb and struggled to learn with classes alone, but they're designed so that normal people like me take the class, and actually understand the material.
>>
>>17873607
>im sure you're really dumb and struggled to learn with classes alone, but they're designed so that normal people like me take the class, and actually understand the material.

and the material alone won't get you a job or an internship. the market is super competitive and from the 1st class there will be that group of guys that do more than the recommended material and will catapult ahead of the other classmates.

you can be a shitter and just do the bare minimum but don't complain once you graduate and don't find a job because companies don't want to hire dead weight since most of what they need isn't taught in the classroom.

all the white boys that had your attitude are working at starbucks or shoprite since they couldn't be arse to actually learn how to program and got demolished by the competition.
>>
>>17873498
stop learning languages and start cranking code

get a webpage from your ISP and put some projects on there

code some small projects like - forum board, easy enough to do with databases & gui stuff, doesn't need to be complex

you need experience designing, writing, coding, debugging and documenting programs - this is what computer people do

if you go into computers rest assured after 10 years you will be totally sick of learning new stuff, it never stops
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.