[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is snapchat? This girl I'm dating asked if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: 1409543002345.jpg (16KB, 250x238px)
1409543002345.jpg
16KB, 250x238px
What the fuck is snapchat? This girl I'm dating asked if I had one, so I decided to make one. Is it just taking videos and pictures? I don't get it. I'm retarded when it comes to social media.
>>
By this rate it's the number one app for sending messages.

It's basically less intimidating than exchanging telephone numbers, and you can come off as more interesting to girls, since the pics you take don't have to be directed to her, but she'll still see them in 'my story' (it's up to you if you send pics to just her, a bunch of people, or publicly to anyone who got your @username.)

Also, and more importantly, you can chat - swipe right on the user you want to private text with. Hold down on whichever text you want to save, if you care to have a log of the conversation.
>>
>>17872990
It's one of the better social media apps

You send pictures directly to another person and are able to attach messages, but the gimmick is that the photo disappears based on a timer you set from 1-10 seconds so it makes people care less about looking perfect in their photo

There's also stories, just download it
>>
>>17872990
A group of ten year old kids made fun of me recently for not being on Snapchat. Little fuckers, they don't even need cell phones.
>>
>>17873707
These are the good ol' days, Uncle Grandpa
>>
>>17872990

I hate social media, but snapchat is actually an app I like. I'm also into videography, so it is an interesting concept for me. It is the most immediate form of documentary we can partake in. But that is my personal association with it.

Essentially yeah, just take pictures and videos of whatever you're doing through out the day. Don't stress about it too much.
>>
>>17872990
I like it for an excuse to take pictures and selfies without them being permanent. They don't need to be masterpieces.
I like snapchatting my boyfriend because I can see him. I enjoy doing the short videos and just saying a couple sentences in reply.

I personally don't use the chat feature except to react to someone's snap when I don't want to take a picture back myself. It's best for that. The replies disappear, so extended conversations are hard when you can't remember what you said last.
>>
I usually feel weird taking selfies. It seems like a really narcissistic act, but on snapchat its great sharing an experience/joke/mood/whatever with a select audience
>>
What's your snap Op?
>>
I'm 28, and I just don't understand stupid apps like this. Your phone has a camera function. Why don't you just exchange phone numbers instead of using some weird redundant shit?
>>
File: 1448670885642.png (5KB, 239x258px) Image search: [Google]
1448670885642.png
5KB, 239x258px
>>17874494
>Why don't you just exchange phone numbers instead of using some weird redundant shit?
It's all about taking and sending selfies. You have those weird filters, pictures last only 10 seconds or whatever when opened, and it alerts you if the other person screenshots the conversation.

I don't like it, but it's not surprising its popular with people especially since it reduces the risk of doing shit like sending nudes.
>>
Is it stubborn of me to purposefully avoid apps like this?

Not only do i not partake, but I also look down on people who use that stuff even though I know I'm the odd man out. It just seems to me like everyone who is into social messaging platforms is self absorbed and trying to dramatize their life.
>>
It gives the attention whores/voyeurs what they want and you can be a super creep and just view the stuff that gets sent out. I remember when it first came out the only people who had it were down to trade nudes. These days it is 99.9% redundant posing and wannamemes. As much as i hate what it is today. There is absolutely no downside to having this app. Its super cringe when you are with female friends and people are literally asking them out via snapchat after only creepin on them for a few days though. There are worse things in our culture today you can roll with though so just grab it.
>>
>>17872990
>so I decided to make one
Don't do this you stupid cunt. Only do something if you want to do it. Snapchat is for vapid retards.
>>
>>17874507
That's a big generalization
I use snapchat just for my girlfriend and close friends
Would you look down on people that text each other?
>>
File: coke in cone.jpg (29KB, 526x521px) Image search: [Google]
coke in cone.jpg
29KB, 526x521px
>>17875316
It depends but probably not because I feel the way texting is used now is different.

Before all these messaging gimmick apps existed texting was basically the platform everyone used, but I think since then most people have shifted towards the more expressive apps, and it's those people who I have a problem with.

Basically, if you're using texting as substitute for face to face conversion, then I think that's fine, but if you're using it as a platform to express yourself then I'm against it.
also side note: I think emoji's are a cancer
>>
>>17876015
What's wrong with using it as a platform to express yourself

The sharing of ideas and feeling is what we're doing on 4chan as people do on Twitter.
>>
>>17872990
its basically pictures that you wouldnt post on facebook or instagram because youre FAKE AF
>>
File: selfie stick claymore.jpg (13KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
selfie stick claymore.jpg
13KB, 640x406px
>>17876116
well like I mentioned earlier it's my personal prejudice against people who do that.

The difference is that on 4chan we're sharing anonymously. We aren't making these posts because we crave attention or want people to like us (aside from people trying to get (you)'s). I feel like the idea of expressing yourself without an audience or reward shows a more genuine person, that's why it's different.
>>
>>17872990
Top tip I can give is to be very open about how inept you are at social media. Girls like that for some reason
>>
>>17872990

thats basically it. its exactly like texting but it has a few benefits.

they can create one story that everyone sees (making it less personal than just sending you the pic) and the big benefit of it is that you can only download the pics and vids through internet instead of mms.

i personally dont like it. if i like someone ij ust text them pics and the occassional video (though i do understand why these arent as popular).

but for most girls, they just use snapchat as a way to feel popular. they can post their 'story' and feel like a celebrity without having to have one on one interaction.

i saw a guy hitting ona girl at the beach. she was not having it.
>phone number?
>email?
>instargram?

the girl finally lit up and turned around. she said she didnt have a phone number (new to country) and didnt have her email handy. but she was willingto pull out her phone and give her contact information so hed follow her on instargram.

and its just like snapchat. girls do it to feel popular, they can say they're hotter and cooler than their friends cuz they have more followers.
>>
>>17872990
it's like a texting app with the built-in charm of ms paint
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.