[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I tell people that I'm 25 with no job experience and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: malcamore.png (943KB, 634x623px) Image search: [Google]
malcamore.png
943KB, 634x623px
When I tell people that I'm 25 with no job experience and share that it's a concern that no one will ever hire me at this point when I'm unable to explain my gap between highschool and work, people often tell me to build experience by volunteering.

I'm starting to think that everyone that says this has never actually volunteered. Everything I'm looking up are 2-3 hour a week positions, nothing is really any significant amount of time, also, wouldn't I need to volunteer at these places for like, at least a year for it to even look relevant on a resume?

Do I up play volunteer work, and simply lie saying I've been dedicating myself to the community or what.
>>
I also just googled "What do you do on a resume when you have no achievements to put on and got answers like

"Of course you have, you're just downplaying your achievements!"

This is such a head ache and I feel completely fucked desu.

I feel like only lying would deal with this massive anxiety im facing at this point.
>>
>>17871688
>i was in school
>i volunteered at X from X to X
you're unhireable because you're retarded, not because of your resume

are you 12?
>>
I don't know why but if I were handling a hiring process, volunteer work would look.. sad. Quilting people into free labor only works on family. If you do it for someone who isn't paying your rent or whatever, you're basically a willing slave.

"Yeah, I'll spend money on food and travel for a year or more 'helping' this company but not actually working for it. It has nothing to do with my future career or aspirations. Aren't I so smart? Hire me".

Uh, no. Sorry.
>>
>>17871688

I'd say you'd need to voluneteer at least for six months before it becomes "relevant", but the thing is that unless you specifically state, the job won't know how many hours you put into volunteering. Some positions require you to state the average amount of hours, but most wont. They'll just assume that you volunteered for 20-40 hours a week.
>>
>>17871688
Have you actually been doing absolutely nothing for the past 7 years? No clubs, no activities, no sports, no learning or picking up skills?

Look online for a template for a skills-based resume, to see how things you can do, even though you were never paid to do them, can be presented as qualifications.

You may still have to explain the missing years, but that can be put off to an interview, where you can put the best possible spin on the story.
>>
>>17871688
Volunteering is probably one of the only ways to build up your job history unless you know someone, like a family friend or something, who can trust you are a good worker and hire you without prior history. Either way, you'll probably be working retail or Fast Food as your first job, not much else for your age range (+lack of experience) unless you know people.

Even though the Volunteering positions only appear to be 2-3 hours, you can always try to find more stuff to do. Food Banks, homless shelters, local non profits ect. Also, redo your resume. If you haven't gotten much yet, it could never hurt to try to take a look at fixing some of it.

Good luck anon. Just keep trying
>>
>>17871719
Yeah I was weighing suicide as a proper option myself.
>>
>>17871726
Since I graduated high school I've essentially been in stasis. Yes I have no skills, and no friends. I have a good knowledge of PC hardware, but the jobs I've applied to over the last month related to that haven't even called me back. I feel like everyone has a bachelors degree.

Recently I've heavily been applying to help desk related jobs, and even phone support jobs, but nothing seems to be coming back to me. I went to 4 interviews and not a single one has called me back.

I had an A+ certification during high school, but its expired, I still list it on my resume though.

I don't want to be a burden on society anymore. I'm sick of hating myself.
>>
>>17871750

Contact some tradesmen and ask them if they are looking for apprentinces.
>>
>>17871771
Is that still a thing? I thought there were schools that had to certify people before they were even allowed to touch the profession or shit like that.
>>
>>17871780

it is if its a small/local business.
>>
Construction. Most fields require little to no training because it's going to be grunt work but the pay is typically more than minimum wage. The hours and the work can suck but there's always upward mobility if you're good and happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I throw this out there but I highly doubt any of you faggots here could cut it but it's a good option.
>>
>>17871878
I've got a weak lower back that is easily thrown out with too much lifting, Ill throw out applications anyways.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Just lie
Lie about everything
I lie, you lie, we all lie
Lie, and you can do anything

Post an ad on Craigslist hiring for the position you want and take the best resume, change the name and change the numbers to your friends or your # if you're good at voice acting and you're good to go
Fuck the corporate world
>>
>>17872028

This doesn't work.
Do not listen to this person.

Your resume is what gets you called in for the interview. They will know you're full of shit once you turn up and grill you about your experience. Let's say you get the job and they expect you to actually deliver on what "your" resume says you can do.

You're fucking yourself over by lying.
>>
>>17872299
This works
Do not listen to this person.
Your resume is what gets you called in for the interview. They will know you're full of shit once you turn up and grill you about your experience. That's where your intensive research on what you bullshited about comes in. Unless you're applying to some kind of specified field, the answers should be easy. If you don't know a certain answer be able to guide the conversation away from it through confidence, comedy, and redirection, Let's say you get the job and they expect you to actually deliver on what "your" resume says you can do. That's when you just ask the people that work there to help you out because you're new here and coast until you pick it up.
I've done this 5 times during college so I didn't have to clean bathrooms at McDonald's.
You're fucking yourself over by not lying
>>
>>17871688
Do you have any family members or friends that can put in a good word for you

This is the easiest way to get started
>>
>Everything I'm looking up are 2-3 hour a week positions, nothing is really any significant amount of time,
Yes, that is standard. No one volunteers full-time, why would you think they did? People do it on the side while they have other things going on in their lives

>also, wouldn't I need to volunteer at these places for like, at least a year for it to even look relevant on a resume?
For at least 6 months, I'd say. Which means that the sooner you start, the sooner you can use it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.