/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm writing personal statements for phd programs and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: personal 1.png (44KB, 813x574px) Image search: [Google]
personal 1.png
44KB, 813x574px
So I'm writing personal statements for phd programs and one of them ask for the reasons I wanted to get a phd. This is the personal statement I wrote, and I have a few questions. First one is that should I include the 2nd paragraph or should I replace it entirely? I don't know how personal they want these letters to be and if this is too much. Also I just want to know what I could do to improve it, you know more eyes doesn't hurt.

The bold part is their prompt
>>
The reason I'm so iffy on the second paragraph is two parts.

I don't know if mentioning a close family members death would make the commity reading this feel akward. I'll openly admit I have a hard time understanding how people react to shit.

Secondly I the last thing I want to do is sell my fathers death to get pity points and this kind of feels like its what I'm doing, even though it really is a huge part of what motivated me go to graduate school. and hes huge reason I am where I am right now.
>>
I'll bump a few more times.

Also is it too short, only two paragraphs and they're small on top of that. They also previously asked me to talk about my teaching experience so I can't talk about that again.
>>
>>17869027
"Throughout life, my now-deceased father..." is a nice subtle option here. Then you can remove any other mention of his passing.
>>
The mathematicians that read this shit honestly skim over this stuff and don't give a shit, all of these statements sound exactly the same and are equally unenlightened.

Basically the first part of Pete L. Clark's answer here:

http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/81486/what-should-one-look-for-in-a-statement-of-purpose-from-the-admissions-side-in/81493#81493

Your statement should amount to "I want to get a phd because I love math, I'm good at it, and I'm eager to learn more of it"
>>
>>17869371
Thanks a lot that really takes most of the awkwardness out.
>>
>>17869392
meant to say equally unenlightening*

Not as an insult, it's just that there's really nothing you can say other than the standard shit, as long as you don't set off any red flags
>>
>>17869392
>>17869395
Also read this:

http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/55077/answering-why-do-you-want-to-become-a-research-mathematician-type-questions-i?rq=1
>>
>>17869395
I saw that when reading about do's and don'ts but they also say "answer the damn questions asked" and this one wants reasons (i would guess?) I chose math and these are pretty much the only reasons I can give, I don't want to be fake.

On the other places I apply I'm sure ill be more fake with the "i love math i want more math ----" like you said. Just I'm very touchy about mentioning my dad in these circumstances because like I said it makes me feel like I'm profiting from him dying.

Also you saying that I know isn't an insult, it does make me feel more relaxed because these personal statements are going to the worst part of my applications its a relief they dont matter too much.
>>
>>17869027
>when I was young math
>opionion

Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>17869468
This is also the responses I want. English is by far my worst subject. I may actually be retarded if math didn't exist and I was somewhat good at it. Please tell me how to fix it. "While I was young math" would be better?
>>
>>17869496
When I was young, math...
>>
>>17869537
Thanks, this may seem obvious to you but I'm really bad at it. A professor I've had a few times said I could be a good mathematician, if only I didn't suck at writing (he was nicer about how he said this but it was pretty much his message)
>>
>>17869405
Actually thanks, I'm going to follow this and pretty much scrap whats in the OP. This sounds like solid advice and much easier to follow.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.