[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a senior in high school applying to college. I'm in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Data2366.jpg (79KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
Data2366.jpg
79KB, 694x530px
I am a senior in high school applying to college. I'm in the closet (male) and haven't come out to anyone except one friend. I have good grades, a good GPA, and a good ACT, but I feel that it isn't enough to get into elite colleges for computer science. Is it worth including the fact that I'm gay on my application in order to increase my chances? On the one hand, affirmative action/scholarships would help me out, but on the other, I feel it would be a bit amoral to take advantage of my sexuality for personal gain. You might be asking, why don't you just come out? The answer to that question is I can't come out; it would be incredibly awkward because my brother is gay. We also share a room. Coming out now or some time when I still live with my family isn't really an option in my opinion. In short, should I include the fact that I'm gay somewhere in the application and try to hide it from my parents or should I just do nothing/say I'm heterosexual (this is what I have done on previous applications) and try as is? Thanks. (pic unrelated)
>>
>>17866927
"should i choose this good heterosexual man or this underachieving faggot". if you put it on there it will seem like your using it for leverage, and it wont help. Do community service or some shit, be better.
-gay college graduate
>>
>>17866953
I'm not underachieving, I participate in a lot of different clubs, won school awards, community service
>>
>>17867064
Then don't worry about it
>>
damn it, I read that all in data's voice

anyway to answer your question going to an elite college is such a fucking meme, it doesn't help you nearly as much as you think and (assuming its a private college) you're throwing away tens of thousands of dollars needlessly. Go to a state university instead of an elite college, the difference in tuition will shock you.

Also you should come out of the closet already.
>>
>>17867084
Why? Two gays in the family is a bit strange to be honest, and I feel like my parents would be disappointed that two of their three sons couldn't bear grandsons of their own, let alone one.

I know what you mean about elite colleges. I'm applying to public ones too but out of state tuition is a bitch. literally all the kids from my school go to my big state school and I dislike most of them
>>
>>17867074
Thanks man
>>
File: evil spock.jpg (54KB, 1024x754px) Image search: [Google]
evil spock.jpg
54KB, 1024x754px
>>17867101
1. if you go to state school go to one in your state

2. just because people from your hs are at the same school as you doesn't mean you have to interact with them, if its a big school you'll almost never see them if you aren't actively trying.

3. your parents are going to find out you're gay eventually, why not be honest with them sooner rather than later instead of having to hide who you are for years or decades to somehow spare them. Besides if your brother has already come out to them then I doubt it'll be such a huge shock.

4. Where is it written that just because you're gay you can't have children? You may want to read up on a little thing called surrogacy.
>>
>>17866927
Hey man, use whatever advantages you've got
>>
as mentioned, private schools are a meme and going to a much cheaper instate school will be just as effective for undergrad.
Assuming you get decent scholarships at the state school, four years there may cost less than one year at the private schools

It is true that you get more exposure to higher quality people at these elite schools, but they do not define you. Only you can. Put in the work and nobody will care where you went for undergrad after your first job or good internship

If you want to attend an elite school, Ace your undergrad with relevant research or involvement and apply for masters/PhD
>>
>>17867064

but trying to point it out indicates you think you need a 'handicap.'

do you?
>>
>>17866927
Look dude. Tbh I'm at Berkeley and my roommate was gay and got in because he was gay. He was despised because everyone knew he was dumb and only got in because he was gay. This will be you if you dont have something else to make you substantial. If you get into an elite school when it is obvious that you were an affirmative action admit, people will talk shit behind your back.

However, you should really just make ur app about your accomplishments. If you literally have so little achievements that ur main focus is pointing out youre gay then u dont belong in an elite school to begin with.
>>
>>17867425
did you fug him?
>>
>>17867425
I feel like there is more to me and my application than being gay. Berkeley, for example, has such high standards for out of state students that I'm afraid it wouldn't be enough.
>>
Also I forgot to add this but I am a white male from an affluent neighborhood which isn't very 'diverse' I guess
>>
>>17867392
It honestly depends on the school. Stanford, for example (I know people are saying private schools are a meme but just for example). I have a 34 ACT, 4.6 GPA, I got 4s and 5s on all of my AP exams, yet I still don't think I can get in. Two kids from my school who have better grades than me got rejected. However, they are supreme douchebags so maybe that's why they didn't make it. I feel like it's just not enough. I'm not going to write a sob story essay about being gay because that's not who I am
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.