[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, /adv/ I've got kind of a dumb one here. See, a couple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: meat eaters flag.gif (983KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
meat eaters flag.gif
983KB, 500x373px
Okay, /adv/ I've got kind of a dumb one here.

See, a couple weeks ago I was invited to this secret santa christmas party that will take place next week, by a friend that likes to throw a lot of movie watching parties. I've been to a couple of them, they're usually pretty fun. So I signed up, put my name in the hat, drew somebody else's name, have a gift coming in the mail for them, all good.

So today my friend, the hostess, makes a facebook post about how she's been thinking about what to do for food for the party, and then shortly after decided on doing a potluck, and everyone is suddenly now expected to bring some kind of food contribution. So I say "cool, I'll bring a roast." BUT, this hostess then tells me that she's making a rule about no meat contributions, since like three or four attendees out of the 14 guests will be vegetarian, including of course her and her husband. And "it's not fair if everybody can't share."

And now, well, I'm kinda miffed about it. I sort of know that I'm being a petty stubborn ass for getting riled up, and I do want to respect her right to run her own party the way she wants to, but I also feel like my own food preferences aren't being respected here. And like it's kind of unfair of her to just spring up the potluck requirement on short notice out of nowhere. Now I just don't want to bring a food item at all. If I do I have to decide what to bring quick, since she's divvying up assigning food categories on a first come first serve basis (x amount of slots for entrees, x amount for desserts, for drinks, etc).

I can't back out of going since I've already obligated myself by signing up for the gift exchange.

So, what do you think I should do? Do I swallow my pride and bend over backwards to her demands, or do I obstinately refuse to participate and potentially cause unnecessary drama?
>>
cause a bunch of drama and alienate yourself in front of your entire workplace
>>
>>17864335
It's not a work party. These are just friends and people I'm dimly acquainted with belonging to the same friend circle.
>>
>>17864332
she changed the contract, you can change your decision.

>I also feel like my own food preferences aren't being respected here
First thing I thought. I don't how close friended you two are but I would say "since like 11 or 10 attendees out of the 14 aren't exclusive vegetarians" we should bring some meat to even the meal. Just as a joke and watch for reactions. If they won't open space for meat, I don't know about you, but these I are not my type of friends.
>>
>>17864337
alienate them then
>>
> cause unnecessary drama
You already know the answer. Christmas is already a stressful time, better to let things go smoothly.

Can't you sign up for dessert? Meat-free sweets are easier to deliver.
>>
>>17864347
After finding out "no meat," I just got so pissed I felt like I wanted to refuse to bring shit just because. One guy has already volunteered to do a dessert so I feel like everybody's gonna want those slots.
>>
>>17864340
Nice idea, but it may be a little late for that after the few posts I did already make. Here's the convo:

HOSTESS: I want to skip the meat based dishes like that since we'll have quite a few vegetarians in attendance (myself included) and I want to make sure everyone can eat everything :) I was thinking of things like pasta, casserole, soups, or rice/potato based dishes :D
ME: In that case I'm gonna second (other friend)'s vote for ordering out. I just can't make tasty food without meat or fat.
HOSTESS: Well you just lack imagination, I eat tasty food all the time lol
ME: Alright, I'll rephrase it: I COULD, but don't want to.

I tried to keep it light, but already feel like I got a little catty. After that she posted an announcement asking everyone to fill the slots she's presented, so I think she's firmly made up her mind. I often have to walk on eggshells not to offend her. The time we watched Peter Pan together almost turned into a disaster because I said I don't think the Indians in it are offensive.
>>
>>17864376
>>17864332
I don't understand why this is a big deal. Do you really have to cook with meat? Sounds like something small to be catty to a friend like that.
>>
Look, I have this situation every christmas because my extended family is Gluten Free, Vegetarian and Lactose intolerant (me and my immediate family have no allergies or food preferences).

If they're militant vegetarians, it's not worth it. There's a ton of vegetarian recipes out there, just buy a ham and eat it later.
>>
those seem to be friends who actually organize shit so everyone can be social and have some fun. you will always find a reason for drama. in every social circle. you can now choose between giving up being stubborn or slowly falling out of that (and most likely every other) circle and probably end up regretting it.
it's her party, she makes the rules. you can do a bbq party in summer and make your own rules. if you invite her there, she will have to life sithbeing surrounded by meat. don't tell them how to live their life and don't get into ailly arguments over indians in movies. keep your edge to yourself. accept that she is a new age lefty and deal with it.

also, there are plenty of meat free dishes you can bring. stop finding excuses
>>
>>17864388
I guess I was just surprised she sprung up a new requirement for attendance, then excited I'd get to show off my progress with my roast preparation skill, then disappointed I'm not permitted to make the dish I really want when this new requirement wasn't even in place when I signed up to attend. I guess I need to suck it up and be the bigger man and just coddle her bullshit like I usually do, though. It's just frustrating because she's usually so bossy and close minded like this, even when it's not her party.
>>
>>17864376
Wtf are you going there for??? She's pushing her agenda like people do on facebook. People that don't care about anyones's opinion but theirs.

what this anon said >>17864396
Eat before getting there and when you get back home, eat more.

Make fettuccine with some fun sauce you like and put something that can stuff your stomach to compensate the lack of protein. Do they accept cheese on pasta, or eggs? Broccoli and cauliflower can be a good choice .
>>
>>17864403
>don't tell them how to live their life

While the rest of your post is pretty reasonable, I don't think my wanting bring a meat dish as the contribution she's expecting me to choose on my own is me telling her how to live, it's just me living how I live.

I am coming around to considering bringing a cake, though, because you're mostly right. I only ever had the one excuse: that I didn't like it.
>>
>>17864409
Her brother's vegan but fortunately isn't in attendance this time, so she already approved of dairy.
>>
>>17864409
>Wtf are you going there for???

She's never done this before, so when I signed up I didn't think this kinda thing would come up. Usually I just ignored her vegetarianism because she didn't try pushing it on everybody else, and at the past parties of hers I've attended we've ordered takeout, or she provided snacks on her own, or she didn't set these kinds of rules.
>>
>>17864440
Do you think it would be ok to make meat just for you? You wouldn't have to prepare much as it's just for one person. But also make something to share. Consider it as your medicine you take everyday. Dou you think she would be ok with it?
>>
>>17864442
I hadn't thought of bringing two dishes. Since most of the attendees will be non vegetarian, I'd want to share with them if I brought a good meat dish. But I suppose I could bring that as well as a vegetarian dessert contribution, and then she wouldn't be able to complain.

Man, going to this party is starting to get expensive if I spring for good ingredients. I'd only fit the gift in my budget and already went a little over getting it.
>>
>>17864450
Do you know the other attendees? Ask them what they think about all this.
>>
>>17864456
I've only spoken to one so far. He told me to cool off and suggested I just bring a drink. He doesn't know what he's bringing. I'll talk to one other person that's going that I'm close with, but it's late here so it'll have to wait til tomorrow.
>>
>>17864469
If you were the only one to bring a meat dish, everyone will dive into your dish and you wouldn't eat enough yourself. Ask them if they can also bring a meat dish.

As plan B, eat meat before an eat meat when you get back home. Prepare your meat before you leave because it's christmas dinner and you are going to arrive pretty late and tired.
>>
>>17864489
I do not need that much food. I'm more concerned about the principle than about starving or lack of protein.
>>
>>17864494
Take it as just bad luck and next christmas you spend your time with another group of people.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.