[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I gain interests that I can actually see improvement in?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
How do I gain interests that I can actually see improvement in?

Everytime I try to learn a skill or hobby, I end up getting frustrated and feeling stupid and quitting. When I don't quit, I get stuck in periods of no progress and lots of frustration.

What's the best way to get around this? I'm trying to escape into hobbies, but I'm so shit at everything, that it gets worse.
>>
In my experience, if it's something you truly enjoy, you will have fun even if you're shitty at it.
>>
>>17863160
Start smaller, goals wise

It makes it seem like your making progress and accomplishing things
Expecting too much too fast is the #1 reason people don't follow through on new things. Reward yourself with something each time you hit a goal

Just think how candy crush and those shitty games people to keep playing. Bright colors, rewards with flashing sounds each time you are successful even if it was the easiest shit ever. Encouragement for each time oh come back daily. They know how to forcibly build a habit in people

reverse engineer that shit to build a positive habit
>>
>>17863170
Exactly this. Expect slow progress and reinforce the small victories. Realize that you won't be great at first and that that's ok.
>>
>>17863170

>Expecting too much too fast is the #1 reason people don't follow through on new things.

I'm very guilty of this.

>Reward yourself with something each time you hit a goal
What's a good small reward? When I do something like pomodoro, i usually won't return to work after the 5 minute break is over.
>>
>>17863221
Yea I'm guilty of it too, I think most people are when starting new things

A reward can be something like checking it off
Write down your goals and mark it off

What I like to do is something that I stole from Jerry Seinfeld. When he wants to build a new habit he buys a calendar and a big red marker. For each day he day he succeeds in doing the task he does a big X in the box. If he keeps it up for one month he goes and celebrates. Personally I like to smell the marker too.

so just something that makes you feel good without being too negative (aka not heroin)
>>
>>17863286
Alright. I'll use this old notebook to do that seinfeld trick.
>>
>>17863160
Simple exercise is a great way to improve yourself which is always a reward in and of itself. From there you can branch out into sports if you want or just wait until something comes along that seems interesting and give it a shot and try that over and over until you finally find something you like.
>>
I tried to get into weight lifting, and went the gym regularly for about 10 months, but I stalled in weight and my problems kept growing from there to the point that I never made it past my plateaus.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.