[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girlfriends dog bit a hole in my $750 shoes because he's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px)
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
My girlfriends dog bit a hole in my $750 shoes because he's an asshole and stole food and I admittedly made the mistake of kicking it away from him when he was focused on her.

She got upset and apologized, but there are no real repercussions for the dog. This is the 5th time he has either seriously hurt me or my property because he bites. No, the money isn't a huge issue. I intended to have these shoes for another 20 years but they can be replaced. It's about her not punishing him or changing anything.

I've come to believe a 120 pound dog with issues just doesn't belong inside and I've suggested an electric collar among other things. She gets furious when I say putting him in his cage for an hour isn't punishment or a way to solve our problem.

What can I do? I have to respect her love for the dog and dogs in general but I'm really tired of this. He broke my hand last year because I tried to pull him off of a window he was standing up on. He was scratching the molding around it.

I feel like I go through way too much stress when these things happen. It's like a cycle. I hate the situation and get so mad then about the time I forget he fucking hurts me again.
>>
>>17861529
What shoes?
>>
>>17861529
If you've got money to blow on $750 shoes, you've got money to blow on obedience school OP.
No "issues" with a dog are uncorrectable with some time and effort.
>>
I should add that the dog is really nice, except when he isn't. He is AWFUL around food and if he's focused on something else(like the window example in the OP) he's incredibly defensive and even as a 220 pound weight lifter I end up getting fucking hurt all of the time dealing with him.

My girlfriends solition is to let him do bad things and try to bribe him with treats to make him stop but when he's fucking up something in my house I can't make myself wait. Also, with the food I get so mad at him for stealing it in the first place and I can't stand to see him rewarded for being so fucking bad. It's my problem too, but "let him do it" can't be the solution.

His really bad stuff is too spread out for it to make an impact on my girlfriend. She always talks about how nice he is. And again, he is usually. It's just so bad when he isn't.
>>
>>17861529
obedience school should do the trick...just don't let your gf interfere. she sounds rather defensive of the dog and this is a real problem that needs to be fixed. normally, a dog that is uncontrollable or causes injury should be euthanized, but try training it first.
>>
>>17861540
He has graduated advanced classes at petsmart four times and has a trainer. These are, like, once a month awful things he does. He's well trained. I have $750 shoes because I am a professional and believe in buying and taking care of the best. They were an investment I intended to have for most of my professional life.
>>17861532
John Lobb. I actually got a really great deal on them at $750 because a store near me was going out of business. I believe they were around $1500 originally. That's why I decided to make the investment.

This is off-topic though.
>>
>>17861578
he goes nuts once a month? thats pretty serious... the problem is probably that your gf spoils him. if she cares more about the dog than about you (your injuries), then maybe its time for a new gf.
>>
>>17861529
contact a reputable animal behaviorist (a certified trainer is good too, but behaviorist is preferred) to come to the house to observe the behavior and recommend a training plan you can realistically follow.

>shock collar
Hahahaha, no. I've worked with dogs for quite a while and that won't help you here OP, they tend to make more issues than they solve DESU and will just make the dog a mess

What you're dealing with sounds like a lot of resource guarding. Dog is super sweet until they start to get possessive over something or really want something, then they turn into an asshole. This can be worked on, but it's a slow process that takes a lot of patience. My own dog was like this when I adopted him and he got into fights because of it, but after being disciplined on training he has overcome that behavior. It can be done. And the "hurr just dominate the dog" shit won't work and will just get you bit. since the dog has already escalated to the point of level 3 and 4 bites by the sound of it, you need to contact that help immediately

>wahhh a behaviorist/trainer is expensive
Yeah, they are. but someone who really knows what they're doing doesn't come cheap. And by the sound of it, you can afford it. Get on it
>>
>>17861578
I would have laughed if they were yeezys or some other shit like that.

But seriously, I would think twice about using shoes that cost that much to kick around things.

I don't have too much trust in Petsmart, so maybe you could find a local place or something that would actually train the dog.
>>
>>17861578
Some behaviors present themselves specifically in a home and not an area "out of their turf" like petsmart training. Not to mention those trainers aren't always the most qualified individuals. This is why you need someone that can come to the house to work with him and to specifically help you with resource guarding
>>
>>17861529
Is this a bait or humblebrag thread? Genuinely can't tell
>>
>>17861578
And I should add that a dog can be very well trained and obedient, and still have issues with guarding. It's an entirely different issue that stems from their insecurity over things they view as "theirs" and that they will be taken from them, not from being untrained and not knowing commands
>>
>>17861599
Yes, I didn't intend for it to happen. I didn't really even think of what shoes I had on. I got home and my girlfriend had cooked a fish so I just sat down to eat. He stole the fish off the table and you can imagine from there.

>>17861601
Yes, it has been called resource guarding. She can't replicate the behavior very easily. It's a rare thing. It's just really bad when it happens. She has shown videos to his trainer(who is supposedly one of the best in our part of the city. I pay a lot of money for him)

My girlfriend is supposedly doing the "correct" thing when she tries to get him to eat a treat while she removes whatever he was guarding but this still happens and it still turns out bad every time I'm around.
>>
>>17861606
No. I'm in a hotel room right now pissed off and I decided to post on 4chan about my life's problems.
>>
>>17861621
>he stole fish off the table
well it sounds like the first thing you need to do is work on training him that he can't do that. And if he's doing it around you then I can assure you that he's doing it 10x more when you aren't looking. So this should be your priority

>it doesn't happen often
Well that can actually make the behavior harder to deal with, because you have fewer oppertunites to correct it.

Can you think of anything that's consistent in all of the instances you've seen this happen beyond that "food" is involved. Type of food? Any other unusual stimuli? It's exceedingly uncommon for extreme aggressive behavior to manifest itself infrequently and uncommonly
>>
>>17861590
I don't think she cares more about him than me. She just loves him. She has tried to fix it with training. That just isn't working. That's why I suggested an electric collar. So we could treat him normally, but have a way to diffuse situations without having to put our limbs near him. She gets mad at this because she thinks it's horrible. I'm sympathetic but also frustrated because when he does something worse than just stealing food(like the window example in OP) it's my hand that gets broken.

She talks about solutions for a few days after each incident then she forgets. She loves him too much to commit to accepting he will do bad again and we need ways to defend our stuff from him.
>>
>>17861640
*infrequently and randomly
>>
>>17861642
A shock collar is a bad idea. If a dog already has a tendancy to bite, you're just asking for a dog that will develop collar sensitivities and bite you when you try touching their collar and/or neck area. They will also be much more likely to develop anxiety/fear issues which again, is especially bad for a dog with a bite history. I get where you're coming from, but you'll just make it worse
>>
>>17861640
He is trained not to. This is the second time I have ever seen him steal from a table. Again, infrequently he breaks his training despite having it reinforced daily.

The only thing that is consistent with his bad behavior is that it usually involves food, but a few times it has just been something he really wants to do(again, window example from OP).

He's usually not able to access human food, and he usually doesn't decide to jump up to get it. The worst he does is take opportunities to dip his neck in the one unsealed trash can we have in the utility room to look for food. He passes that can on the way outside.

The couple of times he has found food there I have just let him have it and reminded myself never to put food there.
>>
>>17861651
I appreciate this comment. He does have anxiety issues. Trying to cut his nails makes him freak out and is the only consistent way to make him try to bite/become aggressive. It's so bad that his trainer suggested it's too dangerous and we should get a vet to tie him down and do it.

He bit someone at petsmart who tried to cut his nails so we only use one specific vet on the other side of the city. He squeals like a pig while it's happening.

That I don't get mad at him for. It's like a phobia. You can tell he's terrified.

I can't help feeling like the food thing is just him being a brat though. I can't help getting mad about that.
>>
>>17861529
Get a new gf; problem solved. If you were to have kids with her, she will fuck them up like how shes fucked up the dog. If you cannot see the red flags, then you deserve all the stress in the world.
>>
A lot of people have to put their dogs down after one bad biting incident. It sounds like the dog can't really be fixed unless you can set consistent consequences for his bad behaviour. I say you should just get rid of him.
>>
>>17861658
can you please go into more detail about the actual bites and the behavior he shows leading up to it? Does he bite and let go or bite and hold on? Does he give behavioral cues (whale eye, freezing, hard stare, stiff neck, etc) at all when youre getting near the thing he's guarding? is the behavior leading up to the bites different when he's guarding food vs instances like the window?

In all honesty, no one here will be able to help you a whole lot. Even if you posted this on /an/ no one would be able to give you solid advice on what exactly to do because this behavior is so difficult to deal with and assess over text, you really need someone there or video. Getting input and ideas is fine, just warming you that this is something that a 4chan thread really won't be able to solve
>>
>>17861668
>>17861671
honestly i agree with both of these
the signs are all there
>>
>>17861667
>anxiety issues
Then there's a good chance that there is something else factoring into him freaking out that you guys aren't seeing. I knew a dog who would freak the absolute fuck out at people wearing glasses. It was right in front of our faces (hah. Literally) and didn't realize until later. She would be 100% fine with people, then if she saw someone wearing glasses she would snarl and lunge at them. Weirdest thing. Point is, dogs can have really strange subtle triggers. Again, this is something that makes it really hard to help with issues like this in online posts
>>
>>17861675
For food he shows signs. Growling, stiff, etc.

I only try to get food away from him that im worried will harm him. I once had to pull an entire tray of brownies away from him and left the encounter literally covered in blood. Tonight I took the fish because i(and my girlfriend) were worried about the bones. I admit I was also pissed that my dinner was taken, but I was reacting to concerns over his health.

He bites and quickly lets go. But they're hard bites. I would call them snaps. He just wants you to leave him alone, but there is NO way to diffuse the situation without severe injury. Tonight he lunged a solid three feet to bite my shoe when I tried to get the food and ran.

The window incident he gave no warning. That's the only time I remember. His bites are always snappy like I described.
>>
>>17861697
There are no meaningful consistencies like that. It has happened too much in too many situations. He just decides he doesn't want to stop doing something and if you leave him alone he will continue doing it, if you try to stop him he will hurt you.

I'm 99% sure his trigger is "I want this fuck you"
>>
>>17861675
>ust warming you that this is something that a 4chan thread really won't be able to solve
I forgot to respond to this part -- yes, of course I know this. I'm just really not in a good place right now and wanted to throw how I'm feeling out into cyberspace and see if anyone had anything to say. You have helped me with your electric collar comments and just in general. I don't expect this to be solved online. I just want outside comments on our situation. I can't tell my family/friends/etc any more because it has happened so many times.
>>
>>17861529
>about her not punishing him or changing anything
You just answered your own question. Your girlfriend is being a fucking cunt and you should either dump her or kill the dog/get rid of it. Let her know that you did this because she needs to be put in her place if she's going to act like a little girl.

I don't think it's very nice to kill the dog, so maybe just tell her up front if she doesn't start disciplining the dog, she's going to come home and find the dog is no longer there. You can take it to the animal shelter. Just take the tags off first. Something tells me she won't try that hard to find it because she sounds like a lazy bitch. I fucking hate your girlfriend. She shouldn't own a dog she isn't willing to discipline. People who do this are shitty people.

Anyway, if she has a problem with it, she can GTFO. It's sound like you make good money and this little princess thinks she has you wrapped around her finger. Dogs are great, but there's no way in hell this bitch should be putting a dog over you. You might have to get rid of them both, but that's just something you're going to have to risk.
>>
>>17861725
>sounds like a lazy bitch. I fucking hate your girlfriend. She shouldn't own a dog she isn't willing to discipline. People who do this are shitty people.

She takes him to a trainer weekly and has gone through like seven training courses with him. She's a Ph.D candidate at a good university. Not lazy. I understand where you're coming from but it was such a harsh comment I thought I should respond.

She's torn because he is usually so nice, and because she just really loves dogs and just doesn't believe that he's bad at heart. It crushes her every time this happens. I understand her situation. Moms still love their sons even when they're assholes and end up in jail every other year.
>>
>>17861746
So your gf excuses your dog's behavior and then you excuse hers, which indirectly excuses the dog's behavior. It doesn't matter if your gf is a good person or hard worker, I don't give a fuck if she's nice or how upset she gets about her failure. She FAILED with the dog. You fail with her, you do not establish boundaries and enforce them so now, because she walks all over you, so does the dog. Wake the fuck up OP. Seven training classes?? AND the dog is still a shit show? Hard to believe.
>>
>>17861802
thank you i lold
>>
>>17861819
anytime
>>
>>17861802
accurate. *applause*
>>
>>17861578
>That's why I decided to make the investment.
we are still talking about shoes, right?
>>
>>17861529
>$750
>on clothing
>that you wear on your feet
What exactly do you dumb niggers think is going to happen to them?
>>
>>17861544
>My girlfriends solution is to let him do bad things and try to bribe him with treats to make him stop

Jesus Christ how stupid some people are, here's what she's doing:
>dog behaves badly
>she gives him a reward for it

How is this not obvious to people? Fuck me, some people should not be allowed to have animals.
>>
>>17861606
>humblebrag thread
What?
I don't see anything in the OP worthy to brag about?
>>
>>17861529
he broke your fucking hand, he broke your fucking hand a fucking dog broke your fucking hand and he is still in your house

That worthless piece of pussy you call a gf has you trained
>>
>>17861529
Why are you spending that much on shoes?..
>>
OP, if it's impossible to train the dog not to bite, which from reading this thread it sounds like it is at this point, you have to get rid of it. Agression towards humans, ESPECIALLY owners, even if infrequent is completely unacceptable. I'm honestly surprised the dog hasn't been put down yet. What if he bites a neighbor? A child? You could get taken to court for a lot more than $750. The dog has to fucking go man. Your gf is letting her affection for the dog cloud her judgement - you have to realize this.
>>
>it broke my hand
>it fucks shit up on a regular basis

I hate to be the one who says it, but pic related. If you have some moral issues with it wait until no one is at home, get the dog in your car, drive it 40km away, drop it in some woods and leave it there. Make up an excuse for why you weren't home and pretend you know nothing about it.

Unless you're a terrible liar. If you think they'll figure it out you either have to try to make your girlfriend stop acting like that dog is her baby (good luck with that) or deal with it.

I have no idea how you didn't do anything after it broke your hand. Seriously, a dog who does that to someone without being provoked needs to be put down, disciplined (if it's possible) or released into the wild.
>>
>>17861529
Question is, why do you have $750 shoes? Silly goyim
>>
A human who can not control an animal is not worth your respect or time leave her and her crazy ass dog
>>
File: 1478139442025.jpg (12KB, 329x329px) Image search: [Google]
1478139442025.jpg
12KB, 329x329px
>>17861529

Former dog trainer here,

How about you take some of the money you're spending on your stupid shoes and get the dog a trainer or obedience school.

Also, the dog is not a child, you idiot. "Punishment" doesn't work on an animal who doesn't understand the concept. The dog is not going to be able to make the connection between biting a shoe and being electrocuted and locked in a cage.

That will solve nothing and will only make your dog more neurotic and unmanageable.

If you give a shit about your girlfriend or the dog like you claim you do then put your energy towards finding a solution that isn't just taking your anger out on it. Making the dog physically uncomfortable is not training. It never works.
>>
>>17863140
Read the thread then delete your post you worthless piece of shit
>>
Your GF needs to seriously consider if she cares more about the dog than you. I am a huge animal lover but dogs cannot and should not be dangerous to the people they are living with (or welcome house guests), no matter how infrequent or how much you love them. If this was a child you would very clearly see that this is a huge problem. I suggest you put your shoeless foot down hard about her giving treats while the dog is behaving badly, because he wont change unless she does too.
>>
>>17861529
There is no point of punishing the dog because he doesn't understand what is it for, contrary to the popular belief. But she should train the dog, either herself reading a lots of books and scientific materials or go to dog school (I don't know how it is called in English). Dog should learn basic concepts like it is not ok to chew anything except his toys, not that just chewing your shoes is wrong. Dogs doesn't understand shaming, screaming or punishing because they don't speak our language, it is like an alien probing you anally and you have no idea what for.
>>
File: 1476828488469.gif (2MB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
1476828488469.gif
2MB, 400x303px
>>17863157

You seem upset.
>>
>>17861529
You could cook the dog and feed it to her.
>>
>>17863224
You seem embarrassed.
>>
>>17861529

$750 shoes and you think it;s the dog who's an asshole?
>>
>>17861529
>buying 750$ shoes
That's your fucking fault retard. My 20$ shoes are just as comfy as yours. Stop being a spoiled kid. The dog didn't know what he was doing.
>>
>all these poorfags triggered about the shoe price

Rich people exist. why is this so shocking lol
>>
>>17863065
Don't do this, just don't, this is unimaginably fucked up, train it, remove yourself from the situation or do something smart, dont be a fucking twat like this guy.
>>
>>17861529
>my $750 shoes
rofl fuck off
>>
Kek, fucking first worlders. Kick it everytime it does something bad.
>>
>>17863257

>You seem embarrassed.

For giving logical advice based on personal experience? Sure. Real embarrassed.
>>
>>17863614
>Fucking first worlders, resort to my third world tactic
>>
>>17863636
No, for giving advice that was already addressed in this thread and ruled out you fuckwit
>>
kids in africa couldve eaten those shoes
>>
>>17861529

Spread bitrex dust over your shoes or whatever the dogs bites. He'll never do it again.

Bitrex is non toxic and is the most bitter substance there is. The dog will start liking his ass to get that taste out of his mouth.
>>
>>17861529
it's her dog, you can't do anything to it
if you do something to the dog behind her back, you'll be fucked over.
here's your options:

1) deal with it
2) talk to her about it

pick one
>>
>>17863782

>No, for giving advice that was already addressed in this thread and ruled out you fuckwit

You seem very, very upset. You ok, anon?
>>
>>17862104
>$750 shoes
is my guess.
i just...how the fuck do you spend a house payment on shoes??? what kind of shoes are that fucking much?? enlighten me oh my god
>>
>>17861529
>$750 shoes
>>
>>17861578
>I have $750 shoes because I am a professional and believe in buying and taking care of the best. They were an investment I intended to have for most of my professional life.

You sound a like a fucking poorfag trying to live the lifestyle of a rich person. Anyone with a decent salary could easily buy another pair.
>>
>>17862104
>muh expensive shoes
>muh bodybuilding
Etc
>>
>>17861529
kill it by accident or get her friends to take your side
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.