[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really want to drop out of college, move to a city, get a job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (130KB, 750x901px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 750x901px
I really want to drop out of college, move to a city, get a job as a waiter or something, and focus on writing songs all the time and playing gigs.

There's a little voice in my head that tells me that isn't a good idea, but I feel like it's something I need to do.

Advice??
>>
not to be a dick but DOOO IT PUSSY. Probably might be the best decision you'll make in your life. Also can be the worst, but at least you took the shot if you failed. Half of the mother fuckers on this planet don't have the balls to do this. YOU HAVE BALLS JUST DO IT
>>
Depends on how old you are. 18-20 go for it, that's what you should be doing anyway. 20-25 is iffy. If over 25 you must not do it, that ship has sailed, you need to focus on getting a grown-up job.
>>
>>17861093
Do it. Its a dumb idea but its what you want.

College is a lie.

I dropped it and moved 3000km from home. The thing is, you dont know the future. For me one thing led to another and now im a carpenter and make more money than i could have hoped for with a degree. Jobs stress free and fun too.

Im writing this 600km from home and my girlfriend because i got a week gig out of town. Im getting $3000 this week.

Im trying to say two things...

College is a waste and your decision will start out doing what you truly want to do and open adventures and life and could lead good places.

Also get a skill trade.

Well... Maybe not now because trumpy is probably going to destroy unions aka the good pay... But open your mind to new fields.
>>
>>17861093
Well a few things.

1) You don't want to do this. It's a shit life providing for yourself without a college degree and no outside help, not to mention no network. You won't have time to really enjoy things.

2) it might not be possible at all. Depends on job and location

3) If this is something you've wanted forever and just somehow know this is what you need to do then say fuck it to the first 2 and make it happen.
>>
>>17861349
>shit life without degree

As one who dropped out, then got a labour job paying 23, then a management job in an entirely different field paying 60k a year, then a trades job paying 40k to start and now 2 years from 80k, and just started my own business making 250 an hour with a growing customer base, i severely disagree.

If you think its a shit life you just dont know where to look. Theres a billion things you can do. Highschool.just primed you to think too narrow in job prospects. Its not even your fault and youre not even dumb because of it.

Ignorant, though? (again, through no fault of your own..) yeah, you are very much so.
>>
>>17861093

alternative plan:

>stay in college
>learn an instrument while in college (or continue learning if you already have)
>practice writing and performing songs on campus, there's generally lots of events for this, and if not you can create them
>graduate
>move to the city
>get a normal 9 to 5 job because you have a degree that makes you worthy of one
>then spend your evenings writing songs
>weekend performing songs

hows that sound? and if your answer is

>BUT COLLEGE TAKES UP TOO MUCH TIME

if college takes up too much time so will working at a restaurant. also you can switch majors. its still better to have a shitty degree than no degree at all.

>BUT RESTAURANTS HAVE FLEXIBLE HOURS

no, they have awful hours. restaurants will force you to work most nights cuz, surprise, thats when restaurants serve customers. as a result you wont have many nights to perform 'gigs'.

on top of that, restaurant work is grueling. you are exhausted by the time you are done. i live in los angeles, and most actors i know who work at restaurants dont have time to act. they are too tired.

i was the same. i was a writer who thought a restaurant gig would be perfect. false, it was awful. now me and everyone else who is smart has moved on to an office job or anything other than restaurant work, cuz it KILLS your soul.

city restaurants will make you work 16 hour shifts then claim you cant get over time cuz you get the next day off. but you'll still be tired ebcause it was a 16 HOU RSHIFT.
>>
>>17861366
Yes because that's what happens to everyone all the time.

Of course there are exceptions and of course there are always options, but it takes a scale of good luck and hard work and for some they have no such luck and have to work their asses off (try living in rural bumfuckville).

I'm saying what's likely to happen. 20 something with no degree or experience is goingbto have one hell of a time finding a job that will provide for him.
>>
>>17861372
It is what happens to everyone if they fight for it. Ive also been homeless because i chose a job over living once. Ive moved 3000km from home with thousands of dollars of debt, no savings, and clothes in a bag because work prospects were better elsewhere.

My current job as a tradesman you can get with grade 10 math. After all ive done it is by far the best ive been into. Its fun stress free and the union takes care of us.

The trouble is youve been primed to get your dream job. But after college youre going to get a job that is just as boring and monotonous as an assembly line except youll wear a shirt and tie making you look superior.

If you accept this, then you have no problem working that shitty warehouse job with competitive pay. You have no problem working a dirty job like i did in pest control.

Thats now my side business. Its unbelievably lucrative, and i was trained by a major company and i cut out the management and work independent for straight profit.

You could order green coffee beans from nicaragua, roast them in a pop corn popper and sell them to local coffee shops. (true story.. You can actually do this.)

You can order 60 cent watches from china and send them to amazon who will do all the marketing and product placement for you and sell them for 10 dollars apiece.

The opportunities are absolutely everywhere, but you must be ready to get dirty and do shit that wasnt your dream or goal. That's where people get mislead.
>>
>>17861372

We can argue until hell freezes over about whether a degree is worth it or not. It's a compromise, while you do get ample time to study and develop yourself, you also suffer from that commitment and probably debt. I'd largely say that while they are not really relevant, they do open a lot of doors, sometimes unexpected doors (every now and then you'll find something that needs a degree for one reason or another).

Now, I don't really think OP should be thinking about degree/no degree, but rather how you can get through the situation the best. I studied art at degree level because it's incredibly hard to get certain things (studio, tutorial support) without having a lot of money, even the sense of community (though often quite bad) was really valuable. Afterwards, I began to work in the city, I had no time, no energy, and no money, to do anything other than work. I could push out the odd bit of work, but I was so caught up in surviving that I really lost my way.

I quit my degree, went to work in a cafe 50 hours a week, was too tired to do anything (one might say too lazy or not driven enough), ended up making a portfolio and going back to university, after that ended up working in retail, gradually moving up until working in head office, then quit and moved to Taiwan.

Basically you got no idea just do what you want.
>>
>>17861383
See the whole thing here is that you could at least move. Some of us don't have that option due to financial restraints.

And in my area the best job you can get is working at a warehouse that will only hire you through a temp agency so you make <$9hr. Oh and rent is ~$900 and up.

>>17861400
The whole point of 3 is that it overrules 1 and 2.

He's not married and doesn't have kids so it really comes down to preference.
>>
>>17861410
Ill repeat... Thousands of dollars in debt... Nothing but clothes...

I secured a job took a single paycheck very close to minimum wage, threw it on a one way plane ticket, and lived in the streets while i saved a wage.

You are talking to me on the internet right now. You have a computer. Every job in your country is available to you.

Get on a goddamn bus.
>>
>>17861410
>>17861438

Well the only reason I got out of my situation was simply by spending all my time working. 50 hours a week working the office job, writing essays, nude modelling, and website admin outside of that. I don't know but it kind of hit me, I can work more than full time if I want. Options are there.
>>
In a similar situation to OP, I just recently hit 18, my parents want me to join the military. I'm leaving home tonight, no diploma, $600 to my name and a bag full of clothes/camping gear. No car either, my plan is to walk the 3 hours to town, buy a shitty laptop and then spend the next week on the road to the nearest city. Gonna teach myself to code C++, and make a video game.

How fucked am I.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.