[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My manager makes me feel stupid. Not in the way that it actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: angry-boss.jpg (38KB, 632x292px) Image search: [Google]
angry-boss.jpg
38KB, 632x292px
My manager makes me feel stupid. Not in the way that it actually makes me think I'm stupid, he does something else.

In essence, he makes me feel stupid/bad for asking questions. In a, "you should know this already" or "are you so fucking stupid you have to ask that?" kind of way.

He'll ask me about _____, something I haven't been told about or trained on, and then talk down to me or adopt a condescending tone when I inquire more about it.

Other times, when he decides to "train" me, he'll go "this is how you do ____", then he does the thing himself, " and that's how you do ____".
He won't explain the process, he won't tell me the correct way to do it, and if I have any questions he'll just give me a look and tone of voice of "are you fucking kidding me".
If I manage to get an answer out of him, it's a half answer. A very obtuse and convoluted "explanation" that dances around the actual answer, where I'm left to infer what the answer is based on his nebulous ambiguity. Of course I don't fucking learn anything and the cycle repeats.

Other times he'll just do something completely wrong (And I /know/ it's completely wrong because I've read the training manual and department references and procedures guide cover to cover), yet imply I'm wrong ("Uh, are you SURE that's how you do that?", "Go take a look at the _____ again", etc., all with the "are you fucking kidding me" voice+eyes)

he does the above two things with orders/commands too. He'll give me wrong information or won't explain it sufficiently, I do the thing wrong because I can't ask questions, and then the cycle of condescension begins anew.

I might be hunting for validation here, but does anyone else have experience with a boss like this? What can I do to cope? It's so fucking frustrating, I want to do my job well but when I'm actively discouraged from asking questions and can't learn shit, what can I do?
>>
>>17860956

Get a new job.
>>
You should discuss the issue with either another manager, or address it with the berating fella.

I am a manager, and I do my best to try to train people and help them, but there are those kinds of people who are managers and are complete dicks.
You'll have to talk to him or her about the issue. Unless he is specifically paying you, he can't really fire you.
>>
There's not really a way to win with these kind of people. You can do your best to cope, but ultimately you're better off finding a new job or a new position within the company that isn't under him.

How you cope with it depends significantly on where you live, since that determines the standard for employment laws and your employment contract. Someone who lives in the US in a "fire at will" state will have a much harder time than someone who lives in a country with strong employee protections, who can respectfully but confidently call out their boss for doing this and potentially threaten them with some sort of harassment claim or workplace grievance.
>>
just say to his fucking face next time he overreacts, "is it really that shocking that i want you to explain it better?" you can do variations on this a hundred times and he will never, ever have a comeback for it. eventually he'll stop because he doesn't want to feel like the asshole that he is.
>>
>>17860956
I had a job like this. It was a job that required knowledge of all sorts of protocols and how to handle dozens of different situations. I guess you could say I was unqualified but they quite literally threw me to the wolves after two weeks of training. I felt my manager pushing me out every day and it was a terrible feeling. Eventually I was let go. You should try and stick it out unless you have something lined up, if only to get unemployment insurance (don't know if you're American though).
>>
>>17860956
>Other times he'll just do something completely wrong (And I /know/ it's completely wrong because I've read the training manual and department references and procedures guide cover to cover), yet imply I'm wrong ("Uh, are you SURE that's how you do that?", "Go take a look at the _____ again", etc., all with the "are you fucking kidding me" voice+eyes)
why didn't you just take the manual and read him the correct answer, preferably with other people present?
>>
>>17860956
That's a tactic they use to get rid of people they don't like. It lets them blow off steam while making sure they can't be held accountable in case you decide to get HR involved.

Either find another job or you can take a gamble, beat him at his own game and start matching him in a game of wits. Like start telling him off whenever he questions your ability.
>>
File: izzy4-291x300.jpg (17KB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
izzy4-291x300.jpg
17KB, 291x300px
>>17860956
Be Israeli and call him out on his bullshit... People like to think that we are a bunch of rude assholes, and for a part they're not entirely wrong, but really we are just direct.

Be the same and things may change for you... And if you get fired, at least you can say you stood up for yourself.
>>
Do you think it's worse to confront your boss and maybe accomplish something, or to never confront your boss and constantly aggravate each other? Just politely and subserviently explain the issue to him, stating that your goal is to do your job and aggravate him less, but that you need something from him. There's a chance he just can't teach things, but there might even be a solution around that.
>>
>>17863352
And if your boss is trying to aggravate you on purpose, kindly asking for a solution to the problem might disarm him.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.