[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My 1999 Toyota Camry is having trouble starting but I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (2MB, 540x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 540x350px
My 1999 Toyota Camry is having trouble starting but I don't know what the problem is. How do I avoid getting ripped off when I bring it in for servicing?
>>
Find a reputable mechanic or take it to a Toyota service dept.
mechanic - based on customer review
Toyota Service - potentially more expensive but aren't in the business of ripping people off
>>
Go to auto zone, get the battery tested. Look at the results on the tester yourself, it'll say either bad or good battery. Replace the battery if so, even if it's not your issue you should still replace it. If it still has issues, it's something bigger
>>
Bring in
Just ask them for an estimate on it. Be ready to take it elsewhere for an estimate.
If u have to tow it ur kinda fucked in that regard, but otherwise its good. If they try to "hmmmberg we will need to diagnose which costs 99999999999 to estimate the rest..." just give em a solid Nah and walk.

An estimate.
>>
Replace cap and rotor, spark plugs, starter, and alternator. Parts, all together, might cost 150 - 200. You can replace everything yourself with a few simple tools. Go on youtube and look up how to replace all of the parts. Follow the instructions to the letter and you'll do fine.
>>
>>17853907
Clue in.

Op talks about not wanting to get ripped by a shit shop. He has a 99 camry, which is prolly his 1st ride. Doesnt know much other than the car wont start easily. He's a kid, and would be more satisfied having a pro wrap it up than potentially bunking it further himself when replacing the parts you mention may not even be the issue.
Mech is the way to go.
Find some shops that're AAA approved, better quality overall. Get a few estimates, nothing but. Pick the shop that feels best. Profit.
>>
>>17853946
To be fair, I've made repairs on the car before, but you're correct in saying that id rather have a pro diagnose the issue. I don't think it's the battery, for what that's worth.
>>
>>17854161

explain the issue more. what specifically is it doing
>>
>>17854189
So the car starts, and it revs up a little. When the battery was dead it was just clicking when I turn the key. But after it revs a little the RPMs go back down to 0 and the car kills.

This has been an issue for maybe a month now where the car struggles to rev all the way up. I've been able to start the car intermittently, but today was the first day the car just wouldn't stay revved up to drive.
>>
>>17853797
toyota dealers are generally very reliable honest etc

non-dealer car repairs are a mixed bag some good some shit
>>
>>17854480
sounds like something is wrong with the fuel flow; bad fuel pump, crud in fuel line, various injector problems etc

I had a 1999 camry too but never had that problem specifically
>>
>>17854860
also get something like this
http://autoplicity.com/3257463-chilton-repair-manual-only-5-remaining?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1b7CBRDjmIPL4u-Zy6gBEiQAsJhTMMieOxz6TIbZ7X7ux8QqXBNINNivKtbYNCgdqueJuWQaAh_B8P8HAQ

and go through the troubleshooting section for the symptoms you're describing
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.