[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mom died a few years ago. Dad started dating a year after. They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: aww.jpg (5KB, 300x168px)
aww.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
Mom died a few years ago. Dad started dating a year after. They are getting married next year. I'm somewhat apathetic, but my siblings are very upset with how soon it is, how he went about telling us (he told them AFTER the engagement had already happened), and how he never talked to them first.

There are now fractures growing between me and two of my siblings, because I tried to warn them a year ago that this was inevitable, and they're saying they were caught off-guard so it just sounds like I'm unconditionally defending my dad to them.

We are/were very close as a family and now things are falling apart. Anyone been through this kind of thing before?

Does it just take time?
>>
How old are you and your siblings?
>>
>>17850162

Adults. We range from 22-30. Only the youngest lives at home, but that will be over soon since my dad is likely to move and sell the house.
>>
>>17850153
Whenever your parents remarry shits gonna be weird. There's no way around it. Hopefully time will repair your guys' bonds and maybe this is just your dad's way of coping. If shit continues to be weird just make sure you remember your the most important person, fuck everyone else even if they are family.
>>
Your dad doesn't owe your siblings an explanation or forewarning that he was going to propose to this new chick. Of course it sucks to see one of your parents dating and remarrying after the death of the other, but he deserves to be happy too. If your siblings are old enough to process this the way that they are, they are old enough to be able to put their father's desires before theirs for once and stop being selfish with what they want in life. Doesn't sound like your dad is trying to forget your mom, but rather is trying to move on and enjoy life as much as he can given the circumstances.
>>
>>17850181

>grown man needs adult children's approval to marry someone he loves
>this is upsetting you didn't even ask us Dad
>but kids, I didn't ask when I married your mom either
>>
>>17850181

Right. That's where I'm at. My dad strongly hinted that this was coming the day before he did it. I said, "how are you gonna tell [my sister]?"
He said he'll tell everyone the same. And he's not asking permission, he is just letting them know what's happening.

I agreed, and want him to live his life and be happy, and the new woman is perfectly nice and normal. But I'm very close with my siblings and they have not come around at all in the past year (since there was a family event that the woman was excluded from, to everyone's agreement). I agreed she shouldn't have been at that event because it had something to do with my mother, I told my siblings that after this event goes by, they'll have to start getting used to dad dating and remarrying.

I found out yesterday when this new annoucnement was going down that they disregarded that message of mine because it came off as a lecture saying, "Just get over it," when that was not my intention at all.
>>
>>17850192

They're weren't expected to be asked. They were expected to be forewarned. And they didn't want to be informed via text message.

One sibling said she wanted to know ahead of time so she can process this.
>>
>>17850195
Didn't see your siblings ages before my post, but now knowing they're all 22-30, they really need to get over it and stop overreacting. They are grown ass adults because their father is getting remarried, which will almost have no affect on their lives apart from the wedding and family get-togethers.
>>
>>17850214

Right. I agree.

But we're really close and we haven't fought since we were kids and now there's all sorts of tension and anger.

I hope it just all blows over eventually.
>>
>>17850153
Just tell them that men commonly remarry shortly after their wife dies. There's a reason why being a widow is a female reserved role.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.