[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently writing an application in english and my new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1467061322391.jpg (89KB, 960x796px) Image search: [Google]
1467061322391.jpg
89KB, 960x796px
I'm currently writing an application in english and my new Word app keeps saying I should use more concise language.
E.g. it always wants me to correct "take a look at" into "look at". As a non native speaker, I'm a bit confused - is "look at" really more precise in any given situation? Is "take a look at" always bulky and too much?

Also, is there something like a style guide on how to write good english texts? I feel I'm fluent, but often times I have no grasp about when to use what phrase/ whether to make a statement one or two sentences/ what synonym to best use etc. stuff like that.
I thought this would come naturally to me, but I feel it doesn't.
>>
"Chicago Manual of Style", if you like. And don't follow anything when it comes to sentence structure from a word program unless it was a typo. Those programs are rarely accurate.
>>
I guess "look at" does some more formal for an application. Its direct and quick, but in dialogue its fine to say "take a look" or "check this out".
I'm in the US and in school we take English studies which mostly covers literature and writing.
You probably are good at english
>>
you could always run those questionable sentences through Hemingway if they seem wordy

if you're writing a job application, there's some wiggle room on skill lists where you don't need to make complete sentences
>>
>>17848445
English teacher here:

As a broad general rule, saying things in the simplest language and the fewest words while still being clear is generally considered good style. Despite what some students (and, alas, some teachers) think, big show-off words do not usually impress, and they can get in the way of clear communication.

Meanwhile, there can be subtle differences between phrasings that make it a good idea for you to turn to a native speaker to check what you write. For example, while "look at" merely conveys information, "take a look at" suggests a casual glance more than a serious examination.

These are all matters of style rather than correctness. Like many non-native speakers you have a firmer grasp of correct English grammar than many natives.
>>
>>17848445
I was universally educated as a primary language English teacher, and I have a decade of experience teaching English around the world the speakers of other languages. At this point in your career as a language student, you need to decide for yourself what tools you want to use to express yourself with, and how you want to express yourself, and how you want yourself to be perceived by your receptive audience. Nobody can tell you how to do this, especially the word app.

Make your own choices. Turn off the grammar checker.
>>
I am currently working on editing some writing in Word. It has a lot of suggestions that are gramatically correct but also very formal. For example: "have to" corrects to "must"

Seeing as I am currently editing dialogue, I choose to not implement these changes, to keep the casual feel of speech. However, if you are going for a formal, correct feel to your writing, it could be good to go for those changes. The word grammar checker is usually pretty reliable.

However, I would recommend you have a native english speaker go over your paper before you submit it, if possible. While Word is usually pretty good, sometimes it misunderstands the point of a sentence and suggests incorrect things. Best to have a human look at it, as well.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.