[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm just such a... lazy, undriven, unmotivated person. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

File: 9c7.gif (308KB, 600x883px) Image search: [Google]
9c7.gif
308KB, 600x883px
I'm just such a... lazy, undriven, unmotivated person. I have been my whole life. I've never been at my best in school, I've never really striven for excellence, I haven't really taught myself any cool skills or hobbies. I'm just a lazy, boring person who does nothing but sit around and waste time.

I almost failed this semester of college, and I need to make a change, fast. But this how I've always been, my whole life. I don't know what's causing this or how to make a change.
>>
>>17846810
Throw away everything thats giving you an excuse not to focus.

Orrrrr...could be you're just not ready right now. Go work a shitty 9 to 5 for a few years and pay for school out of your own pocket. You'll value your education a whole lot more once it's your hard earned cash on the line
>>
>>17846924
I'm already pay for school through student loans
>>
>>17846810
What is your major?
>>
>>17846943
Student loans arent earned money. You have no sense of ownership, hence why you are unmotivated
>>
You're causing this. I've been where you are, anon, and I can tell you that you are 100% the problem.

Motivation is not an answer to your issues. Discipline is. So you don't want to do whatever boring goddamn shit you've been assigned. Too bad. And it's not "too bad" because you have to do it or otherwise you'll get a bad grade. It's too bad because if you don't get to fucking work, you're never going to change. You'll learn to stop thinking about why things don't go your way and start making excuses. More than you make to yourself now. You'll find something, some random illness that barely fucking fits and you'll give that excuse to everyone you disappoint. You'll give it to your friends, your family, your boss, you'll give it to you.

And everyone MIGHT accept you to your face, but there will be people that you absolutely disgust. Most of all, you'll disgust yourself. You make a change now while you're young and you're not actually THAT BAD of a fuckup for your age, or you become a full-fledged adult that has no work ethic, no discipline, no desire to actually do the things you think about.

You make a change now while you can because if you don't, you never will. Whatever the fuck you need to be doing right now (and there is something), do it. Don't make excuses.
>>
>>17846810
Have you ever had something you really wanted to get
>>
>>17846952
What is the process of increasing my self-discipline then? It seems like a big, overwhelming job to be honest.

I'm definitely an excuses maker, I get advice I know is right and my brain instantly goes into why I CAN'T do something instead of how to do it. It feels like such an.... automatic process for me, just like my every shitty habit or thought process i have
>>
>>17846961
Not really.

I don't think I've ever felt genuine passion towards anything in my life. I often feel completely empty and unfullfilled
>>
>>17846946
programming
>>
>>17846975
You need to be thrown out on your ass and forced to sink or swim. This level of apathy smacks of someone who never had to take ownership for his own survival and prosperity.

The sooner you get out of college and are forced to live entirely by your own efforts, the better.
>>
>>17846989
So should I just hit pause on my life, get a shitty job and go out and rent a shitty apartment until I'm not a total fuck-up anymore?
>>
>>17846952
I really needed to hear this, thank you so much!

>>17846982
There's lots of stuff you can do with that, you just have to explore your options.
>>
>>17846999
yeah I know there is.

The problem getting myself to do... well... anything feels like such an impossibility
>>
>>17846971

Putting on a timer seems to help. You set one for two hours and decide you're just going to work during that time. No bullshit. No hesitation.

But long term? You start making lists of the shit you need to do and decide you're actually going to fucking do them. And you do, because who will you be if you don't? That fat, incompetent fuck at work that everyone hates. Envision that guy. Recognise that this guy is real. Hate him. Despise him. And work to spite him.
>>
>>17847004
Dude you're the best! I needed this.
>>
File: tmp_25125-1476985735511307604897.png (169KB, 1863x889px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25125-1476985735511307604897.png
169KB, 1863x889px
>>17847007

Glad to hear I could help. Now go do something.
>>
>>17846997
Op, while I hope the other anon here offer you some helpful motivational and structural advice, the problem is, at the core of it, you have no appreciation of the value of your education. Nor the ssystem in place that is supporting you.

My suggestion of getting thrown out on your ass is good for a few reasons.

1) you clearly don't know who you are. Your identity of self is non existant, hence your worthlessness

2) working a normal 9 to 5 forces you to grow the fuck up and start being accountable. Because you probably have no work ethic of any appreciable nature, you lack the foundation needed to get your shit in order. Being entirely responsible for yourself forces you into a crucible of change.

3)student loans mean nothing to you. Pay for your classes by fucking earning the privilege to go to school through your own hard work. When you get to this phase, your apathy will be gone and you'll find that you will take this much more seriously because its YOUR fucking money on the line.
>>
>>17847004
>You set one for two hours and decide you're just going to work during that time.
>>17847004
>You start making lists of the shit you need to do and decide you're actually going to fucking do them.

Fair, not bad ideas.

However, planning out what I need to do isn't the problem. It's always about execution. Feels like when I need to work I'm able to focus on everything but work. I get moody and frustrated really easily, causes me to lose focus on everything but how i feel. I get lost in thought about random shit constantly.

Basically, even when I'm able to get to work, even staying focused on it can be challening.

I'm not trying to keep making excuses, I just really need to figure out how to overcome all the things that can make my goal a challenge
>>
>>17847011
Nicolas?
>>
>>17846997
No, don't do that. You'll just screw your mental health over. But that is what's going to happen if you don't change yourself this instant.

If you smoke weed, drink, play vidya. Stop.

If you go out with your friends instead of focusing on school. Stop

Stop your distractions, and focus on what needs to get done. You've already proven to yourself that you can't handle doing your own thing and still trying to succeed, so now you need to stop doing your own thing, and focus on succeeding. It's a day by day process

Tomorrow, instead of vidya, pick up a non-fiction book

The next day, do some self research on things that will further your career, benefit you in the future

Figure out how to teach yourself things, focus on class. No more "I'll get home from class, jerk off, 4chan, reddit, whatever, then tonight I'll do my homework"

Nope. You have a new schedule now

>Wake up, 6AM
>Balanced breakfast (Most important meal of the day, you literally cannot learn on an empty stomach. If you're a breakfast skipper, that's just the root of your problems)
>Go the fuck to class, and dress nice too you lazy slob, it's class, it's supposed to simulate your job, don't ever fucking show up to class in sweatpants. Wear some khaki pants, nice closed toed shoes, a button up, hoodless sweater, or shit a plain black T shirt.
>Class is over, now do your fucking homework
>Homework was a bit difficult, you didn't grasp everything in class today. Guess what that fucking means? ITS STUDY TIME NIGGA
>You have finished your homework, you have finished studying, look to see if there's anything you can get a head start on
>Because you started your work early, you ended at a reasonable time. (there is no reason you should be up past 12AM doing homework if you start your homework at a responsible time, and don't wait till the last day to do assignments. I haven't gone to bed later than 11PM since freshman year, I'm now in first year of grad school)
>>
>>17847022
I actually do already have a shitty fast-food job I work at part time. My managers there actually love me because of how stupid hard i work while I'm there. Apparently I don't have a work ethic problem when I'm getting paid
>>
>>17847057
Ran out of space

>Get a nightly routine
>Go to bed at 10-11PM (I prefer 10, because it sets you up to get up at around 5AM, so at 6AM I get an extra cozy hour of sleep)
>>
>>17847057
I'm confused now, are you saying my life should be nothing but work 24/7 now? No leisure time allowed?
>>
>>17847064
I'd say 2hours is healthy minimum but I'm not that guy
>>
>>17847076
that's fair.

2 hours of fucking around at the end of a long day doesn't seem unreasonable. However going off saying "Yeah so I'm never playing video games again, even though it's the thing that brought me to the field in the first place" seems a little extreme
>>
>>17847064
Yes. You are young, and you have a lot of time ahead of you. USE THIS TIME TO WORK YOUR ASS OFF.

>but I need to relax

You can relax when you're 30. You can relax when your hard work pays off. You can relax when all your friends are struggling to get by, and you're all set up for life before you're even 25 fucking years old.

What exactly are you getting out of leisure time. Are you in physical pain? If you're exhausted you might want to look at your diet before you look at how much you have to work.

And also, when you start really working to improve your life, and eliminating leisure time, you tend to not only have more leisure time, but you also get to enjoy it too. No more worries about "oh I wanna play destiny but I have this huge project due tomorrow". Nah man, you got that project done, you've taken in all the info you'd like to that day. You now have from then, till your class, all to yourself
>>
>>17847028

Your feelings are irrelevant. You need to start believing that. So work is hard or boring, that doesn't matter. The work does not give one hot shit about how you feel about doing it. You work at it. And you might need to work a lot harder because you tanked, but you'll be able to catch up.

"Just do it" is mostly a platitude, but seriously. You're given all the infirmation you need to complete an assignment, or to do something else. You know how to wash dishes or take a shower or whatever you need to do. And when you don't know where to start, step back. Look up unfamiliar things and they'll clear up.

Think of it this way. Thinking that any work - no matter how boring it is - is beneath you is an arrogant thought. It's an exercise in stroking your own goddamn ego. Throw away the ego.

Do things not to be great some day, do them to be competent. Do them to be in control of your life. As someone who's been where you are, control is the best feeling I'd ever really felt.
>>
>>17847060
>almost 2017
>has internet access
>works part time
>no side hustle
Justfuckmyshitup.jpg

Again, no appreciation of what it means to fully support yourself. Part time work and school? You have free time on your hands to spare. Force yourself to change because life isn't going to be kind enough to you to give you chance after chance.

Adapt or die, faggot.
>>
>>17847085
OOOOHHHHH ok I see. So it seems like your saying planning leisure time into my day is the folly here.

If I stop saying "oh I'm gonna relax a bit before i get to work" and just get to work, power through everything i need to get done. Suddenly I have all my work for the next 3 weeks done and have all the dang leisure time I could want.
>>
>>17847081

Also remember this. You are the captain of your soul, you can do anything you damn well please. I'm not saying that you can't play video games, that you can't have leisure time. You're a human and you can make your own decisions

What you need to understand though, is that the truly successful people were not found playing video games and jerking off all day. They were spending their time pursuing success, using their time wisely for their benefit. They didn't just get successful because they were lucky and were in the right place at the right time, they put their damn self in the right place at the right time, they deserved to be in that damn place at the right time.

Nothing is wrong with leisure time. But just understand that you aren't entitled to any kind of success, you earn that god damn privilege of success, and you damn well have to work for it
>>
>>17847106
in that time before work, you could get a little bit done on a project coming up, research some info on a paper coming up, revise a paper that you have completed

or shit, even self improvement. Do a few pull ups, eat a well balanced meal, read some literature.

What are you getting out of fiddling with your dick before work?
>>
>>17847086
I'm a huge mess of problems, but your right, it's no excuse for not doing what I need to do.

I guess if I legitimately feel like there are factors outside of my control preventing me from being at my best, I need to take the proper steps to deal with them whether it be through medication or counselling.
>>
>>17847118
You can start by getting the fuck off of 4chan and stop procrastinating.
>>
>>17847106
You know why people end up in their late 20s, early 30s, being bossed around by people half their age at a low end restaurant/service job? Because those are the types of people who think "If I work hard when I'm expected to, and do nothing when I'm expected to do nothing, I'll magically get a college degree and a 100K job right?"

Yeah no, you have to fucking work for your shit. Put in the work, and get the reward. And it's not gonna come instantly.

You will never succeed if you can't push yourself to do things you don't want to do to achieve your life goal
>>
>>17847111
>>17847117
>>17847131

So should i just take every single vidya i have an make a huge dumpster fire or some shit.
>>
>>17847147
Ya that'd b dope
Selling it would make you some cash but I think this would be worth more
>>
>>17847118

Medication and counselling are a good idea, yes.
>>
OP, in the 4 years I was in college I hung out with my friends a total of 22 times and played maybe about 35 hours of vidya.

Your supposed to work, your day should be all work.
>>
>>17847147

Don't listen to this guy. Work first. You still have time in your life for enjoyment, but you have to earn it first. You'll enjoy it so much more when you do.
>>
>>17847150

So you legitmately think I should never touch a video game ever again?
>>
>>17847147
yes, you can buy em again when you're successful
>>
>>17847147
Keep one or two games. Sell the rest. And comic books, and manga, and anime.

Get rid of your goddamn saftey blanket. That's what's choking the life out of you
>>
>>17847158
In all honesty it kinda just feels like I'm talking to a bunch of asains who thinks all day every day needs to be wake up, work non-stop, go to bed.

Even successful people find time for fun, leisure and whatever. I just need to find the discipline to not PRIORITIZE it
>>
>>17847159
It's quite obvious that that's what is holding you back in life.

Lemme ask you this anon, when you should be studying, or doing homework, what are doing instead?
>>
>>17847170
Why does the sollution have to be him removing them from his life completely though.
>>
>>17847177
For the most part, with my friends honestly.

Being alone is like, insta-depression for me so i often neglected my homework because i couldn't stand feeling that way
>>
>>17847172
And why do you think most asians are successful

And successful people only find leisure and fun after they became successful. They were miserable till they found success
>>
>>17847186
Use that to your advantage, start study groups, if your friends won't study with you find friends that will.
>>
>>17847172

Exactly. And dude, choose what you know is best for you. Life isn't one-size-fits-all, but it's well established that you don't get anywhere without hard work.
>>
>>17847191

Asians are also suicidal, and seeing a giant rise in men staying home and playing videogames because they don't want to work for an ungrateful wife.
>>
>>17847191
You assume success has a set definition
>>
>>17847191
So basically if you have even the smallest amount of fun in college you did it worng?
>>
>>17847210
You can have fun in college if you can handle it

It's those that have fun in college, yet get shitty grades, those are the ones that did it wrong.
>>
>>17847206
This

there was an asain kid in my town who commited suicide because he got 88% and he was so ashamed he could "do so poorly"
>>
>>17847217

Ok, so how do i go about finding the balance?
>>
>>17847180
Because he lacks conviction and will piss off time indulging them as time sinks while he tries to justify it as time well spent figuring out a course of action

It's a mindtrap that he needs to avoid
>>
>>17847225
You do what's important to you first, and isolate yourself to do what's important. As you meet big goals you reward yourself.

That doesn't mean spend a week going hard, and then the rest of the month playing vidya. That means going hard till the end, getting a god damn 100% in your all your classes, and then rewarding yourself.

The minute that you are comfortable, is the minute you say to yourself "Nothing needs to be changed, I am content with my life"

So don't get fucking comfortable till you're content with life
>>
>>17847229
So it isn't that leisure time isn't an inherently bad thing, it's just if your unable to be responsible with it it's best to simply remove it completely until you can be.

Cutting out all these things is more of a temporary thing until he can discipline himself better.
>>
>>17847242
Yes
>>
OP you seem a little confused and scared about some of the things that are being suggested.

Let me shed some light on something. We're not saying you have to give up on the things you like doing. We're not saying you can never play video games again. We're not saying you can never see your friends again.

We're saying that you need to temporarily cut them out. Learn how to be a hard worker. Once you learn how to be responsible with your time you can start letting these things back into your life.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.