[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Schizotypal here. Does anybody else here lead a successful l

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: download (23).jpg (6KB, 232x217px) Image search: [Google]
download (23).jpg
6KB, 232x217px
Schizotypal here. Does anybody else here lead a successful life while having Schizotypal Personality disorder at the same time? Can you help me out and tell me what worked for you? Are there any doctors or psychologists on that can help me?

I've been making a big effort to improve my life but I stumbled across this and i'm so disheartened right now. Check this shit out /adv/
http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/schizotypal-personality-disorder-
"It is not realistic to expect a person with schizotypal personality disorder to ever become comfortable socially no matter what treatment is used on them" And then in other places i'm reading that it is significantly harder for Schizotypal people to socialize even compared to people who have crippling depression. Like wtf I didn't realize it was that bad.
That sounds like i'm never going to have close relationships with anybody no matter what I do.
I want to overcome this and start making close friends with people because I don't want superficial skin deep relationships with everyone the rest of my life. I want real friends.

Schizotypal General too I guess. If you got this feel free to talk about it too
>>
OP here. It's ok /adv/ this is probably a really niche serious topic people don't have a lot of experience in so i'm not too shocked to see nobody responded to this.
>>
>>17846827
this sounds borderline me. i'm not big on friends (i do have workmates) i avoid going out because it just requires too much effort and mostly involves being social

have you considered devoling a hobby? an anti social one, that could turn social.

i started to force myself to go out bush bashing in the 4wd and really started enjoying it. its getting me out the house, went out to a small ruin threw the swag out and headed back home the next day.
doesn't have to be this speciffically, this was merely suggested to me because i lived in a remote location. i was wary at first but then i grew to like it.
>>
you can have friends and relationships with people on your own terms. you can't experience things the same exact way as anyone else anyway, labels like this do nothing but box you in.

what I mean is, your experience is yours and who cares if someone says it can't be as meaningful or deep or whatever as someone else's. people that think that way are unable to comprehend that it's possible for others to be fulfilled in ways other than what they themselves deem fulfilling.

I have spd and struggled with the idea that I would be unable to form "strong" relationships or whatever with others for quite some time but realized that's just what someone using their own criteria from their own experiences came up with. I do my own shit, my way, not the way of some egghead psychologist fucker
>>
>>17846486
go have a past life regression to see why u can't ever be a functioning member of society

maybe u were a bad man in a past life.. or a woman, robbing ppl of joy. maybe damaging ur kid to a point where it couldn't function in society.
>>
File: 1481392931899.jpg (19KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1481392931899.jpg
19KB, 300x222px
Hey OP. I'll give you a bit of advices, as I myself have had troubles with schizotypy in general. Now i'm undiagnosed, but that's because I never felt the need to have help from outside. Anyway. So far I've only suffered from being a loner, having unusual perceptions and sometimes hallucinations. I'm following an art course so I've been able to put all of this into a productive and positive way of living.

Don't you ever forget that while psychology is an actual scientific field, the human mind is too complex to be fully grasped and so everything you'd read online is to be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes we find comfort in reading these craps, we believe that they define us, while it's not true.

Only you can make what you want of your life with what you have. You're a goddamn schizotypal, your reality is probably "bigger" and more frightening that normie's, but it shouldn't take you down, as it probably also mean "richer". Learn to explore yourself and the others, it truly is worth it.

For example what helped me go to people and actually enjoy them was my unusual perceptions I've had of them. Some people have colors or tastes or atmospheres tied to them, I didn't even really notice it at first but I learned to explore that side and now I enjoy meeting new people, seeing what they'll inspire me and so on. Just find your own way.

Goodluck my man. I'm sure you can make it.
>>
>>17846486
How did you find out you're schizotypal? Were you actually diagnosed or do you assume?

I'm afraid I show a lot of signs but I'm afraid of psychologists
>>
>>17848070
Be truthfull to yourself, devoid of implication.

Do you often have thoughts you'd consider odd or disturbing, even by your own standards ?

Do you have unusual perceptions ? Maybe hallucinations, even ?

Do you have trouble making contact and relationships with other people ?

Do you consider yourself to be an outsider ?

If yes to these, odds are you could be considered schizotypal
>>
>>17848267
Yes to all of these. Shit...
>>
>>17848043
>I'm undiagnosed
Stopped reading
>>
Oh good we've got some activity going on. Hey guys

>>17846844
>Sounds borderline to me
You mean borderline personality disorder? Are you a doctor or anything? I think we've ruled out me having BPD since i've already seen a few psychologists and that never came up. I guess I could bring it up though next time i see them.

>>17848070
Yes I was diagnosed as schizotypal by a psychologist. If you have it, getting on meds for it will make a tremendous difference. The improvement I saw after meds was absolutely insane. I could organize my thoughts way better. I also had this distracting strong daydreaming like thinking went away after meds too. So if you find it easy to accidentally stumble into your own imagination and get distracted because of it that medication helps alot.
One of the most benefical thing I learned through therapy was challenging and recognizing delusions that might not be true in social situations. We can still get near schizophrenia tier delusions but we can learn to recognize them as delusions.

Great example of what I mean is this. A few days ago I got into this argument with somebody that lasted like 1 minute. To me I felt like I had really angered them and made the relationship way worse and etc. And it bothered me all day. And then basically later they contacted me and wanted to chill and hang out as if nothing had ever happened. So I was really delusional there on how bad I thought the situation was.

Another example. I thought my grandmother didn't like me. Had all these reasons for why I thought she didn't like me. Then at thanksgiving she says "I really miss seeing you" and she meant it. So all those negative things I thought about were delusional and not true at all.

So next time you feel nervous that something is wrong between you and another person you can usually write it off as a delusional assumption that isn't true. Then you realize things are probably actually ok and you feel better.

I'll try to respond to other posts here
>>
>>17846844
Still responding to the rest of your post. I just posted so much in my last one that I couldn't get to you.

You're absolutely right I think getting a hobby would be a great way to meet people. I've found there are some websites like meetup.com where you can find a gathering of people in your local area doing similar things you like doing. I'm going to try that out eventually and see how it goes.

That's good that you were doing stuff to get out of the house. Bush bashing sound like you're really getting to explore alot outside which is good.

>>17848070
Want to expand on my response to you a little more too. If you get on medication there is a genetic test you can do that matches you with antipsychotics that will give you the least amount or no side effects at all. If you get around to seeing one talk to your psychiatrist about it. Saves you a lot of time and headache and avoids those nasty side effects.

The strong anxiety you feel right now will go down significantly once you start getting medication. Before my anxiety was so strong that when I tried to go to bed at night, I had these delusions that some super natural thing was going to eat me in my bed in the dark and being in the dark in general was really unnerving to me. Now those delusions of being attacked by things in the dark are gone and being in the dark doesn't bother me at all. Psychologist was a very nice guy and they try to make you feel as comfortable and safe as possible while they talk to you. So nothing to be worried about.

>>17848043
Thanks for the encouragement and insight there even though you're not sure if you have it. Well my thing is my schizotypal symptoms were more disabling and burdensome than they were helpful. So getting those under control with medication was way better for me than trying to live with unusual perceptions.

I've never had a visual hallucination though. I might be wrong but I don't think schizotypal has those. Might be something worse
>>
>>17848440
Yeah I get that too. I become so convinced that people around me hate me and see me as a burden.

Like some weeks back I was having a shitty time and began to think that my roommates found me annoying and stupid and I really resented them for a while. After that passed I realized it was an irrational thought.

I also get hallucinations sometimes
>>
>>17848496
Yeah. And even though i'm getting therapy for the delusional thinking now I still can get triggered into thinking something is wrong pretty easily. That's improving though.

The biggest insecurity I have is I feel like I don't open up to people enough to form a close bond with them. Even though i'm dealing with treating delusional thinking in social situations, if I have to hang out with somebody IRL I don't know very well I get nervous around them. And the insecurity is that I worry they notice that i'm nervous and then I think I make them nervous and uncomfortable too which makes it hard for us to break the ice and start getting along.

Sometimes I just feel very indifferent and it's hard to really get me to emotionally react to things no matter how fun the activity is. So i've also got some insecurities that if I hang out with people they'll get the impression that i'm boring and not really fun to hang out with. I've tried to invite some people over to my house before but I had a few bad episodes in the past where I was having trouble feeling comfortable hanging out 1 on 1 with someone and things got awkward and they wanted to go home early. A few other times I hung out with other people they got upset because they thought I wasn't having a good time with them. And even if I reassured them I wouldn't be there if I didn't want to hang out with them they still thought I didn't like hanging out with them or something.

I've also had some people tell me they thought I didn't like them. And for those people especially I feel really uncomfortable around them and have a lot of trouble convincing myself that it's a delusion and they're probably still open to being friends with me.

Growing up you know something funny? In my teens if you got me around the right group of people I wasn't self conscious about anything and I could just say whatever was on my mind and be myself. I could make everyone laugh and I got along with everyone. No idea what happened.
>>
I thought I was shizotypal, but it turns out I'm emotionally anorexic.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.