[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a question for the jews here. So I tried out the an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: notimpressed.gif (966KB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
notimpressed.gif
966KB, 500x391px
This is a question for the jews here.

So I tried out the ancestry.com free trial. Looked up the parents of my mother. Both appear to be jewish (have jewish records under the 1930 census). Checked the JewishGen thing linked to ancestry and my mother's mother showed up there too.

So like, what do I do now if I want to go be a jew. Like, go to a synagogue with my proofs? What's the process to get my jewery recognized?
>>
File: teatime.gif (594KB, 239x270px) Image search: [Google]
teatime.gif
594KB, 239x270px
you guys get tea hitler too
>>
jew here. look at the wiki article titled "who is a jew." seriously.

Jewish identity is complicated.

speak to the rabbi at your local temple they will be happy to talk to you. and by the way Jews speak frankly about this kind of stuff and other matters of faith. it's okay to question your rabbi and Judaism in general. it's not like Christianity in that regard at all.
>>
>>17839266
Well according to Hitler you'd go into the ovens even if you had no idea your grandparents were Jewish and even if you had been a lifelong Christian that wouldn't save you. That was a pretty common fate in Germany, lots of Christians with one Jewish grandparent were killed in the Holocaust.

Pretty shit, eh?
>>
File: muhcrew'.jpg (75KB, 960x851px)
muhcrew'.jpg
75KB, 960x851px
>>17839501
Hey ok cool. So basically I could go to them and just straight up show them my ancestry account and the info and say, hey rabbi am I a jew by race.

That's pretty cool. Thanks.

>>17839523
I'm pretty sure both my grandpa and gradma on my mother's side are jewish so i'd be fucked. If i convert i'm gonna have to keep my nazi under wraps. I'm a huge David Irving fan and I think the rabbi will shoah me if i tell him.
>>
>Go to Rabbi
>Make yourself worthy
>Continue for 4 years
>Apply for Israeli citizenship
>Dual citizenship master race
>Embrace real Jewish history and culture there

Play the long game, Anon, the long game
>>
>>17839266
>>17839268
>>
>>17841018
Someone call maintenance, /pol/'s containment fence has broken again.
>>
>>17839266
Well, you can apply for Israeli citizenship, so they recognize your Jewishness as an ethnic group. As a religion it's a bit more complicated, I've heard in the states they welcome people happily, but in Israel the Chief Rabbinate is in charge of that. You can live as a Jew and no one will give a fuck, but if you want to get married they may require you to undergo further investigation (yes, they have private investigators work on this bullshit), or possibly have to undergo a conversion process, which means a year where you have to take Judaism lessons every week, and you have quizzes and shit.
>>
>>17839266
Do you have any urge to be an accountant or financial advisor?
>>
>>17839266
Get this straight - Judaism is NOT a race. It is a religion and a cultural identity for those who choose to make it one.

If your grandmother were Lutheran or Quaker or Catholic, that wouldn't automatically make you Lutheran or Quaker or Catholic. You could choose any religion or none, and just decide to believe in it. (If you wanted to join it officially, you might go through instruction, baptism or the like.)
>>
I'm half Jew too. Do I feel the need to follow a bullshit religion? NOPE. Pretty much all smart Jews are atheists. It's 2016 dude. Live like it is. Full blooded Jews are not without racism. If your mother is not a Jew then you are shit to many of them.
>>
>>17839266
OP, what does the free trial actually allow you to see? I want to try it but is it even worth the time?
>>
>>17841463
>Pretty much all smart Jews are atheists
and into meditation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oKWQiEWYs
seriously they're alot of jews in the mindfulness biz !
>>
>>17841463
>Pretty much all smart Jews are atheists
Jewish atheist myself, but really?
>Robert Aumann
>Howard Ceder
>Yeshayahu Leibowitz
>Moshe Koppel
>Alexander Lubotzky

Just off the top of my head
>>
>>17841414
Not really, due to history, the way Judaism is passed down, and the ancient rules against assimilation, it's actually much more of an ethnic group today than a religion. Wikipedia defines Jews as an "ethnoreligious" group and I have to say that's a pretty good definition. In Israel we usually look separately at the Jewish ethnic group and the Jewish religion. For instance I am an atheist by religion but Judaism is one of the biggest parts in my identity (culture, language, history, etc.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews
>>
>>17839268
what the fuck lad

i had a dream where Hitler made me a cup of tea and was a pretty cool guy

not even joking
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.