[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG-735548352.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-735548352.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm dropping out uni, been here for 2 years but haven't declared a major. Here's why. I don't feel like it's for me, and I believe I can obtain a decent job without it. I always thought about going for something in the IT field, but felt like classes in uni weren't really teaching me anything. I learned way more on my own and getting experience first hand. So here's my plan, I have enough money saved up to get my own apt, I already have a car. I get a gig to pay the bills, and on the side work on projects like building websites and making apps. Along with this, study for get certificates that would help getting my foot in the door or landing a decent position. My goal is to really make a minimum of 50k a year, I don't think that's unrealistic, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>17838303
It's a legitimate plan. It may not work, but it's worth trying. Be aware that dropping out carries a negative judgment with it, and people (and your family) will leap to the conclusion you're a loser, so you're going to have to work hard to establish your professional worth.
>>
What about paid IT interships? Some even accept college/uni drop outs, as long as you have a knack for technical stuff. In my country (the Netherlands), there is a business called Calco which does just that, guaranteed job and everything.
>>
unrelated, but that pic is adorable (just get a job & stop paying indoctrinating uni)
>>
>>17838303
>classes don't teach me anything about IT

I doubt it. Stack overflow is great for tiny things and web design but it won't teach you how a processor interprets instructions or how memory on the heap works in terms of pointers or virtual memory and the like.

>in before I taught myself all of that.
>>
>>17839730
There's loads of free online courses on coursea, udacity, code academy, and plenty more I can't think of right now that would teach you how pointers work or storing memory in C. Also there are plenty of textbooks on the stuff too. I just don't see the reason of going to college for something in technology, unless it's engineering where you need that education. Anyone can google how to code, buy a book that tells them how circuits work, etc. Maybe I've missed the true purpose of college, but everything I've done so far I could learn on my own.
>>
>>17839730

> won't teach you how a processor interprets instructions or how memory on the heap works in terms of pointers or virtual memory and the like

This guy is right. I hate when I am at work so deep into some back end process I am working on and I forgot how the CPU is going to interpret my instructions.
>>
>>17838303

I am somewhat in your boat. I have been working as a programmer for 4-5 years though. I still have to work on "standing out", but it is doable. You just have to get in somewhere, anywhere, very low on the totem pole if needed. I started as a plain old IT support guy and got lucky when they brought the programming in from overseas.

Keep an eye out for what jobs don't seem to care about degrees in your area. Learn those technologies and tweak your resume to highlight those. In my area, C/C++ and other low level stuff is not really around, and my assumption from when I have seen it is that it is a little more likely to require a 4yr degree. Web stuff, java/.net (but especially web) are more likely to have a lower bar for entry.

You will be able to take on the 4yr people, just gotta stay on your feet.
>>
It's kind of late to drop out now. Just major in something you're slightly interested in so that you can qualify for positions that require bachelors like managerial ones.

It's only like 20,000 USD to finish the last two years, you might as well do it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.