[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /adv/ think about social work? I'm currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

What does /adv/ think about social work?

I'm currently considering a degree in social work due to one of my friends pointing out how good of a listener I am and how easy it is to talk to me. I've talked to a few other friends about it and so far they've all agreed I would be good for the job, one even saying I should have been in the field long before I asked her about it. They said I can remain logical in things while still taking into account everyone's feelings and seeing all sides to the issue.

Those kind words aside, I know there is more to social work. I have a lot of empathy I feel, and I only really feel my best and motivated when I can somehow help out someone else. My middle school dream was to become a psychologist.

However I'm also shy and an introvert, so it takes a bit for me to connect with someone so I'm having a lot of doubt. I know opening to friends is a lot different than chatting it up with a random stranger.

Can someone like me do well in this field? Or are my friends just talking me up?
>>
>>17833271
Absoluteltpy firget it

Ahem

Absolutely forget it. If you're set on wading through other peoples horsecrap and self pity go for counselling in a private practice.
>>
>>17833389
Got it
Thanks anon
Is there any other job that can do good for people you can recommend?
>>
>>17833271
1. you must have liberal political views to make it thru college/grad school in social work

2, you said you're an invtrovert. get a clue. and you want to work with people 40/hrs a week ?

3. get computer training make $$ w/out lots of people interaction, then either donate $$ to social causes or.....

4. VOLUNTEER SOMEWHERE

5. go actually talk to people working in this field for several years & explain yourself & goals etc
>>
>>17833438
That's a good question. Maybe find out your vocation yourself over time and when you've got a steady job you can then volunteer in your private time and do community work. Sort yourself out first really. But then there are professionals that also offer their help for free on the side to causes, like some accountants do books for charities or causes for free.

Go easy on the alturusm till you've got your skills and grades then see what is about. Being a friendly helpful person might do the most good in the long run
>>
>>17833515
Already have a liberal view,and my current job has me working in the hospitality industry. I'm introverted but it's not so bad that I'm completely drained. Maybe you're right though and I should just focus on computers again and leave the kindness for a side thing.

>>17833599
Thank you very much for the advice. It would probably make more sense to specialize in something that comes to me more naturally and I can then apply to helping others.
Ill try my hand at some other things
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.