[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My landlord sold my apartment building. I don't mind. They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: randall.gif (100KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
randall.gif
100KB, 620x400px
My landlord sold my apartment building. I don't mind. They were assholes, but they gave me no notice. Now I don't know whether my lease will continue until the end of next July or if I'll end up on the street in 30 days.

Luckily I'm gainfully employed, but what should I do?
>>
find out from the new owners and old owner? also find out laws protecting renters.
>>
Sue the landlord for not giving a notice if you can. It depends on where you live.
>>
>>17833260
I found out from the old owners. The tenant landlord ordinance in Chicago and the lease agreement say nothing about the matter.
>>
>>17833268
I don't have the money to sue.

I'm mostly pissed because I paid three months rent in advance on the first of the month, which won't be credited to my lease. To get it back, I have to go through a title company. They could've notified us. These deals don't happen overnight. I came home and the office was locked and signs had been taken down.
>>
>>17833226
There's nothing you can do. The new landlord isn't obligated to your old lease. He either can accept the terms of the leases still in effect when he takes ownership, or he can choose to make the previous owner buy out the remainder of your contracts, and offer all his tenants new leases at the start of the next month.
>>
>>17833282
They took ownership today. We haven't heard anything. The letter from the old landlord said we could continue paying rent at the on-site management office, but we haven't heard anything directly from the new company. I left them a voicemail introducing myself and asking for an update.
>>
>>17833279

Class action with the other tenants.
>>
>>17833292
*Technically yesterday, but they didn't notify anyone until today while I was at work.
>>
>>17833295
They didn't violate the law. They just acted like jerks.
>>
>>17833226
I'm looking at apartments online. Since I have a job, it shouldn't be difficult to find a new one.

If it is, I'll end up sleeping in my car during a Chicago winter. No es bueno.

Ideas? Advice? Has anyone else been in this situation before?
>>
>>17833307
Bullshit. My father is a landlord.
>>
>>17833359
Bump before bedtime.
>>
>>17833583
In which state? Which country?
>>
>>17833588
Missouri, US. I imagine it's the same everywhere in US.
>>
>>17833226

depends. but in most instances, you can squat indefinitely. its a real problem here in los angeles. buildings full of squatters in the wrong parts of town. but they can live there for quite a long time without having to pay rent.

not saying you should do that, but you could squeeze a couple of months of free rent out of this if they try to squeeze you out.
>>
>>17833307
>They didn't violate the law.

>>17833279
>I'm mostly pissed because I paid three months rent in advance on the first of the month, which won't be credited to my lease.

I believe that is called a breach of contract. Which is a civil wrong and is grounds for civil action (small claims court). And if they knew they were going to sell the building when they accepted that payment, that also becomes fraud

That's two potential infractions of the law.

P.S. It costs you literally $30 to go to small claims court.

Don't tell me $30 is not worth 2+ months worth of rent.
>>
>>17833924
They'll pay back the money. It's in an escrow account. If they take their time sending it back, I'll sue.
>>
>>17833896
True, but then I'd have an eviction on my record.
>>
>>17833853
Tenant laws vary from state to state. California, for instance, requires 60 days notice.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.