[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please help, /adv/ I'm having a pretty serious mental health

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: babypandas.jpg (135KB, 747x504px) Image search: [Google]
babypandas.jpg
135KB, 747x504px
Please help, /adv/

I'm having a pretty serious mental health crisis.

I have severe OCD, although most of my rituals and phobias are pretty harmless. I got lucky in that I don't wash my hands until they bleed, or hoard items, or anything like that. I see a mental health counselor and a social worker about once every two weeks.

I had a really rough time this autumn. Two of my close family members and my service dog died. I was laid off from my job. And the building I live in sustained severe water damage, so workmen have been in and out of my house tearing out walls for the past month.

All of that has put a lot of stress on me, but I thought I was OK. Then yesterday, I just lost it. I've been having panic attacks and crying nonstop.

I feel like none of my usual rituals or coping mechanisms are enough to deal with the cacaphony of fucked up, obsessive thoughts and grief. It is like having someone screaming horrible things in my head all the time.

Usually I can keep it muted, find distractions. But not now. What triggered it is a neighbor came over a couple days ago to complain that he could hear my television on through the walls. I usually have the TV or a radio program on in the background, while I work on projects or clean. I put on happy, dumb shows like Bob Ross painting and animal planet shows about cats. It makes me feel less alone, and drowns out a lot of the obsessive thoughts.

Anyway this guy came over and made a comment about how I must be some fuckin' loser who vegetated in front of the TV all day.
It just...destroyed me. I'm totally afraid to turn the tv on, afraid to bother the neighbors, afraid that people will think I'm worthless and need to die, that I do need to die, that I need to go out and walk into traffic...

the silence without the tv makes the thoughts so much louder.

I don't know what to do, /adv/. If I go to the hospital, they'll charge money I don't have and give me drugs that make me feel worse.

How do I get through this?
>>
>>17830999

First of all, nice OCD trips.

Now that I've got that out of my system, your neighbor is a fucking cuck and you should blast your TV on full volume. Fuck that prick. If he's so bothered by the TV that means he also vegetates in his apartment all day for him to hear it always.

I have OCD too, and it's mostly intrusive thoughts. No set rituals. I adjust things from time to time until they "feel right" but that's about it. I really feel for you, famalam. Maybe if you joined a Skype / Discord group you'd feel better / less lonely?

Drugfags will tell you about drugs. I've heard there's some really potent stuff out there, and if you don't wanna go the hospital route, there's always black online markets and stuff.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>>17830999
Buy a decent set of headphones and listen to either podcasts or classical music. God Speed Outlander.
>>
>>17830999
>>17830999
Beautiful trips.

I would turn the tv back on, just maybe a bit quieter. Your neighbor doesn't know you, and they sound like a shitty person. Lots of people leave background noise on when they're doing things. There's a reason people go to coffee shops to work, because the background noise is actually very helpful. My ex, one of the hardest working people I know, always had a show on when she was doing things just for the noise.

It's really not that unusual, the guy that approached you is a cunt.

Another option, could you get a pair of headphones? Then you don't have to worry about people hearing the noise. I was always super stressed about disturbing my neighbors with sound, headphones are an easy solution.

Nobody thinks you are worthless or need to die. Even your shitty neighbor would probably feel terrible if he knew the pain his comment is causing you.
>>
>>17830999
>and a social worker
Underage ban.
>>
OP here.

>>17831037

Not that kind of social worker. It is a LMHS, the kind of social worker assigned to severely mentally ill adults on state health plans so they don't end up costing the state too much money by getting arrested or ending up in the ER.

Where are you thinking that it is normal for underage people to be living alone, and worried about home repair and unemployment?

>>17831021
>>17831025
>>17831033

Thanks for the replies, anons.

The headphones and podcasts might be helpful. I'll try integrating some of that into my schedule, and see how it feels.

You guys really do help. Thank you for reaching out.
>>
>>17830999
Hi op, I second the headphone idea, ATH-M50 are a really nice pair of headphones that are renowned for being really nice well rounded and cheap headphones in the audiophile community which outclass a lot of other expensive ones at around $100.

I was wondering if you'd be able to help provide some wisdom from your experience with ocd. I suffer from ocd and have since I was very young (6 years old, 18 now) but have never told a single person about it. I'm fairly sure close friends and family know I have something just because of the compulsions, and have asked before about them but I would always come up with an excuse and tell them it was nothing. I don't know that much about ocd but recently looked into it as its been causing a number of issues the past few months. As far as I understand it, my compulsions are mainly muscle movements like cracking and rotating my wrists and currently my right shoulder. In the past it has been muscle flexes, usually to counts of 1, 3, 5, but also most things I do daily must please the same number pattern. I used to crack my wrists all day every day just while using the computer and eventually it caused a lot of damage to my wrist to the point of which I could no longer move my wrist up without experiencing a significant amount of pain, or could not physically move it at all. I think the reason I haven't told anyone is because I'm self conscious about it and because it is for the most part not very obvious and I am able to hide it from most people, but as im getting older I would like to be able to treat it. There are other things that as far as I understand fall under ocd, but they are mostly obsessions and intrusive thoughts, and while causing a lot of stress and discomfort at times are manageable so i am not too bothered by them.

I guess what I'm wondering is how effective is treatment? Does medication help at all or is it not worth it? Is it worth just continuing on not telling anyone or what? thank you for any help
>>
OP here

>>17831071

I think treatment is different for every person.

Here's the thing with OCD - it never really goes away, but it can be managed. You can learn coping skills. It never gets easier, you just get better at dealing with it.

In my case, medication has not worked at all, and caused some truly awful side effects.

But I've known other people who had great success with it. If you are interested in medication, you may just have to talk to your doctor about doing a trial period, and seeing how one class of medication or another affects you.

Counseling, on the other hand, really has saved my life. Finding the right counselor can be a struggle, but it is worth pursuing. It is best to find someone who is a licensed mental health counselor, who has experience with OCD patients.

I may sound like a trainwreck, but current crisis aside, I really am better off now than I ever have been.

My parents were junkies. I was raised in foster care, most of the homes were more abusive than the one I was removed from. By 25, I was living with PTSD from combat experience and my time working as a medic. It is kind of a miracle that I am not dead, a drug addict, or homeless.

Counselors, group therapy, and social workers guided me through all the basic life skills I never got from a family. It taught me how to put one foot in front of the other and how to get through from one moment to the next. And it taught me how to be a braver, better person.

Whether or not you tell anyone, well... I'd say take it slowly. Talk to professionals, first. There is still a lot of stigma attached to mental illness. Even so, you will likely get more supportive, loving reactions than negative ones. But you will also spend the next few years trying to educate friends and family about what OCD actually is, as opposed to the media portrayal of people with OCD.
>>
>>17831165 That was really insightful, thanks for taking the time to respond. I haven't even been diagnosed or anything, I've had other basic mental health issues before but have never sought help about then either. I'm guessing i would just consult my doctor about this and go from there? I have found a few personal coping mechanisms that help control urges and I've heard a fair bit about the destructive nature of certain medications that treat mental health issues from others, so i will probably pursue help through counseling and avoid meds if possible. Thanks again for the advice, this could be the start of a happier me and i really appreciate it :)
>>
>>17831199

I hope you find the help you are looking for, anon.

Definitely tell your doctor about the wrist injury and intrusive thoughts. Just be up front about the discomfort it causes you, and that you'd like to talk to somebody about it.

He or she will probably refer you to a psychiatrist for a medication consult first, but you can also request information about counseling. If your doctor doesn't provide referrals to counselors, you could try asking your insurance company. I've had the best luck getting referrals and listings from professional organization for psychologists and counselors. They can hook you up with people close to you, who take your insurance.

If you want to pay out of pocket, you can go straight to google and usually find a counselor the same day.

This may sound odd, but your doctor may refer you to an occupational therapist or physical therapist for the joint rotation/cracking issue. They see a lot of that sort of thing, and may be able to help you retrain yourself not to do it, or to do it in a way that doesn't cause you long-term harm.

Good luck!
>>
>>17831224
Thanks, I'll make sure to check my options, it would be nice to get this under control even if only a bit more than it is currently. Good luck with your neighbour, they just sound like an arrogant prick though so try not to let it get to you!
>>
>>17830999
Go ask a doctor for benzos, you will feel so good none of that shit will matter
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.