[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to go overseas and help less fortunate people. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: photo-4.jpg (69KB, 362x321px) Image search: [Google]
photo-4.jpg
69KB, 362x321px
I want to go overseas and help less fortunate people. I'm 24 years old and I have no skills, qualifications, work experience, references and I am unemployed. I also have schizophrenia and epilepsy but that is controlled by meds. Also, I live with my dad.

Does anyone know how I could go about doing something like this?

There are thousands of charities out there but they require people to pay 5,000-10,000 dollars to be able to go overseas and a lot of those places are little more than resorts, especially the Christian ones. When I go on their websites the most support you can give them is getting a job at one of their offices or walking from door to door collecting money or even just donating money, they don't seem to have a system for people who just want to go out and help other people.

Any /adv/ice?
>>
>>17825182
you want someone else to pay for your trip?
>>
>>17825182

keep looking and see what you can find. save up a little money so you have the option but aim low.

don't be selfish about how you give. if collecting money helps people, then whats wrong with doing it?

what you want relaly is glory, to be able to see the gratitude. its not the worst thing in the world, but if you arent willing to put in some time, dont bother.

go work at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen for awhile. talk to them and network with other volunteers. they'll give you the low down on getting where you want.
>>
This. Part of being charitable is spending your OWN money to help those who need it. You're not some sort of celebrity who should have it paid for them, they don't give a fuck if you go or not.
>>
>>17825697
In reply to >>17825659
>>
>>17825182
>>17825182
>>17825182
Why not help people in your own country first? Seriously. It would be cheaper. It would be more beneficial to your community. And you wouldn't be wasting western effort on third-world countries full of people who mostly do not and cannot contribute back to us. You won't even get meaningful relationships out of it because you don't live near them and have no good way to stay in touch. If you want to do real good in the world, do it at home first.

If you just want to show off and post exotic photos on social media, then take a normal vacation.
>>
>>17825723
OP has a white saviour complex. He thinks being white is going to make him automatically feel superior despite the fact that he's a complete fuckup
>>
>>17825182
I think someone needs to take care of you.
>>
>>17825693
>what you want relaly is glory, to be able to see the gratitude.
I would like to actually help people by giving them food and water and improving their lives instead of just giving money to homeless people in my country who will spend what I give them on drugs or alcohol.
>if collecting money helps people, then whats wrong with doing it?
How do I know it's not a scam and all the money I collect isn't going straight into the back pockets of the charity CEO?
>go work at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen for awhile. talk to them and network with other volunteers.
The only homeless shelters that exist in Australia are for women and children. Soup kitchens do not exist here because everyone is on welfare. People begging for money on the street are just looking for drugs or alcohol or cigarette money.
>>17825697
But wouldn't it be nice that people could readily go overseas and help those less fortunate? Our government will actually keep paying you welfare if you are doing humanitarian work. I understand what you are saying, that I should pay out of my own pockets to help people, but you would think these charities had a system for getting lots of people across the sea to help others as that's what their organizations are based around, people helping people.
>>17825723
I would love to do this but I have absolutely no idea how. I've talked to a few charities in Australia about doing some work and there's not much that can be done unless you want to get an actual job with them and get paid. Their volunteering options are extremely limited.
>>17825728
Nah, I just want to be helpful and useful for once in my life.
>>17825736
You're probably not too wrong there.
>>
>>17826677
>you would think these charities had a system for getting lots of people across the sea to help others as that's what their organizations are based around, people helping people.
I don't know why you think charities are loaded and can somehow afford to pay for the all their workers to go overseas to help people. Charities are strapped for cash, what little money they do have goes towards their objective, not for people like you to have a little holiday simultaneously helps you feel like you're not a complete loser.

And even if they did pay for people to go, why should they take you? You have nothing to offer them over other people.
>>
>>17825182
You sound like a fucking loser. You need to help yourself first before you can help someone else

>Sounds like a NEET

How can you help people without money? I'm not talking about just giving money, but money to buy stuff to help people. Money to travel.
>>
>>17825728
this. fuck americans
>>
>>17826695
They can afford to have ads running on TV all day. Or they can afford to have huge collection drives. They can afford to have paid workers sitting in their own offices all day on Facebook. And imagine if all these charities joined together and pooled their resources and money, world hunger would be a thing of the past.

I don't expect anything from them. They are obviously businesses and their desire isn't to help 3rd worlders but to make lots of cash and profits.
>>17826696
If I had some land given to me I could grow food to give yo other people. That's just an example.
>>
>>17826761
If you're so cynical about these charities, why do you want to work for them so bad? I'm sorry you're a loser, but it's not their fault.
>>
>>17826776
Because they're the only things that allows you to go and help other people and not be robbed and murdered.

I freely admit I'm a loser and that doesn't bother me, but if they have no place for someone like me then how could they honestly say they want to help people in an even worse state than myself?
>>
>>17826783
>if they have no place for someone like me then how could they honestly say they want to help people in an even worse state than myself?
They want people who are in a position to help other people. You are not one of those people, and that has nothing to do with them.
>>
>>17826677
Stop wasting my tax money you fucking bludger. Stupid white people continually giving Africans money and food is what makes them have more children, putting them further into poverty. All youll be doing is perpetuating the cycle.
>>
>>17826790
Fine. Whatever. I'll just sit here with my thumb up my ass doing nothing when I could have been put to good use all at the cost of a boat trip to Africa and some food rations each month.
>>17826792
I'm almost 25 and haven't had a job since I was 17. Do you really think someone is going to hire me now? I can't even get a job at Maccas and have panic attacks when I talk to people. You're living in a dream world if you think someone would give me a job.
>>
>>17826819
>I'm almost 25 and haven't had a job since I was 17
And who's fault is that? There are always labour jobs, it's not hard to stack fucking bricks and you don't need experience. I have an actual retard washing cars where I work ffs. Are you telling me you have less job seeking ability than someone with an IQ of around 50?
>>
Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming your desire to go oversees and help the less fortunate doesn't come from a religious perspective. That is a shame, because when you go on mission trips through churches, typically, they're able to pay for a lot of the expenses. This past summer, I did mission work in the mountains of the Dominican Republic in a couple small villages, and it cost me $1800.

If you want to avoid religious entanglements, then try Peace Corps or an of the other organizations fighting AIDS in Africa.

It's not hard to find options. It's just hard to committ to them.
>>
>>17826819
>can't even talk to people without having a panic attack
>somehow thinks that helping people in the third world is for him
Thank goodness they don't just send people overseas, because you'd be useless and a waste of money
>>
>>17826852
Given what OP has said, do you really think he's fit to help people?
>>
>>17826859
I just saw all that.

He definitely is not, but that's not to say that he couldn't one day.

It's like Jesus said - take care of the log in your own eye before trying to get the speck out of someone else's.

Take care of yourself first, OP. Deal with your anxieties and depression. Then, maybe try volunteering close to home.

You're a young guy. The rest of your life can be spent doing what you mentioned. But now is the time to fix you.
>>
>>17826848
The fault of every company and employer I have ever trued to get a job with. Fuck I am sick of you pull yourself up by your bootstraps victim blaming cunts.

Your retard got the job because he is retarded, makes the company look better and they get help with the best agencies to get work, also the company gets help from the government for having retards on board.
>>17826852
Christian ones are even worse, except instead of taking you to the Congo to help people dying from malaria they take you to little resort places where you stay for a few weeks and go on day trips to actual villages and do little more than hand out bottles of water.
>>17826853
What are you basing this on? Helping other people could be just what I need to shake things up.
>>17826868
>using a Jesus quote to back up your own personal belief
Fuck that's low. Typical "Christian", that quote is about judging and criticising others, not helping them.
>>
>>17826935
>The fault of every company and employer I have ever trued to get a job with. Fuck I am sick of you pull yourself up by your bootstraps victim blaming cunts.

Wah, I can't get a job, I'm the victim! No, you are soft as fuck and don't apply yourself. It's noones fault but your own. As I said, there are heaps of labouring jobs available
>>
>>17826935
>What are you basing this on? Helping other people could be just what I need to shake things up.
If you can't deal with people in an everyday situation, how the hell do you hope to cope in a different country, different customs, none of the comforts you are used to. You'd have a "panic attack" in no time.
>>
>>17827007
>you are soft as fuck
You hit the nail on the head. I'm soft. I'm not cut out to be a normal person capable of getting a job. I can work and I love to work, but no one will give me a chance due to my personality.
>don't apply yourself.
Bullshit. I am totally certain I have put more effort into getting a job than you have over the past 8 years. You just don't want to admit that you got lucky a few years ago, probably due to networking, connections and nepotism and now are on your high horse thinking you can spit down on the peasants from your ivory tower.
>there are heaps of labouring jobs available
Pic related. There's not enough jobs. I didn't come to this conclusion after putting in a resume once or twice and then giving up immediately, this is the result of 8 years of work to find and keep a job.
>>17827010
No because if I was in a position where people are relying on me then I would definitely help them and seeing other people doing better because of my work would also help me.
>>
>>17827070
>Bullshit. I am totally certain I have put more effort into getting a job than you have over the past 8 years. You just don't want to admit that you got lucky a few years ago, probably due to networking, connections and nepotism and now are on your high horse thinking you can spit down on the peasants from your ivory tower.

Sorry faggot, but I actually made a sacraficr and did an apprenticeship after year 12 so I would have a secure job. No "connections". I'm fucking good at what I do because I apply myself, the job I'm at now I got from interstate over the phone. There is heaps of unemployment because lazy entitled cunts want the exact job they want, and won't do an apprenticeship, labouring, or other " low level" jobs. Instead they want to get useless it degrees like every other retard and then complain there are no jobs.

>>17827070
>No because if I was in a position where people are relying on me then I would definitely help them and seeing other people doing better because of my work would also help me.

That's not how it works. People that have actual panic attacks, or anxiety, have them regardless of the situation. If you have problems here, you'll have them there. Stop making excuses.
>>
>>17827070
>I'm not cut out to be a normal person capable of getting a job

Forgot this bit. So because you aren't willing to change, everyone should work around you? Work on yourself
>>
>>17827070
Op, you are hilarious as fuck. Do us all a favor and walk off a bridge please. Your mentality is worst off than any person in a wheelchair. You sit on your ass all day and complain about how bad the world is, and make up excuses for everything.

No one needs your help, you can't even help yourself. You'll end up eating more food than the villagers.
>>
>>17827118
>and did an apprenticeship after year 12 so I would have a secure job.
Lucky fucking you. I applied to every apprenticeship in a 100km radius when I finished yr 12. No one would have me. I would have killed for an apprenticeship.
>because I apply myself
More like you are a selfish aggressive asshole and employers are attracted to that.
>I'm at now I got from interstate over the phone.
You think I haven't applied for jobs interstate? You know what they tell you? "GET FUCKED!". If you can't talk to employers the way a normal sociopathic person does then they don't want anything to do with you. At least, in Australia.
>There is heaps of unemployment because lazy entitled cunts want the exact job they want, and won't do an apprenticeship, labouring, or other " low level" jobs.
What a complete load of nonsense, you know nothing about the struggling underclass, I doubt you don't even associate with such people because they are beneath you and don't live up to your unrealistic expectations.
>People that have actual panic attacks, or anxiety, have them regardless of the situation.
And you speak from experience? You obviously don't have the same shitty problems that I do or you wouldn't have a job and wouldn't be riding your high horse.
>>17827125
Willing to change? What can I do except be myself? Willing to change to what? I have no prospects. I can't just pretend to be a different person and become that person. What do you expect?
>>17827138
Great advice dude. Maybe you should just put your name to "KILL YOURSELF", it would be a lot quicker and simpler.
>>
Join the Peace Corps
>>
>>17827179
>a normal sociopathic person does then they don't want anything to do with you. At least, in Australia.

Kek, since when is not being a neurotic fuck classed as sociopathy?

>you know nothing about the struggling underclass, I doubt you don't even associate with such people because they are beneath you and don't live up to your unrealistic expectations.

I do actually. The only people I'm aware of who don't work are ice adddicts or lazy bludging shit. Buy you are correct, I don't hang around people who blame everyone else for their own problems, I have no time for self pity and laziness.

>And you speak from experience?
My partner actually works in a mental health hospital, while also studying psychology. She has to deal with people who have actual panic attacks, they can happen regardless of the situation, they don't magically go away if you are feeding an African kid.

>Willing to change? What can I do except be myself?
Be willing to do labouring jobs. Show people that you can actually work. Work on your social skills so you don't come off as an entitled autist.
>>
>>17827197
>Kek, since when is not being a neurotic fuck classed as sociopathy?
Since a bunch of convicts were dumped on a desert island and expected to fend for themselves.
>I do actually.
Well you call them bludgers and ice addicts so I doubt you do.
>My partner actually works
Stopped reading there. You can't even rely on an anecdote, you have to rely on your partners anecdotes. You have no fucking clue. I've been in mental hospitals for 2 months. You are totally out of your element.
>Be willing to do labouring jobs.
I am. They don't want me.
>>
>>17827225
>Since a bunch of convicts were dumped on a desert island and expected to fend for themselves.

Let me get this straight, everyone with a job is a sociopath?

>Well you call them bludgers and ice addicts so I doubt you do.

That's what they are. One of them had a job working near me, now he's an ice addict. The others are relatives in law, that milk the system for all its worth.

>Stopped reading there. You can't even rely on an anecdote, you have to rely on your partners anecdotes

Kek, she actually has to know facts about these mental illnesses mate.

>I am. They don't want me.

Have to call bullshit, they take anyone that's physically able. And don't tell me you don't have the strength, you literally have all day to work out if you wanted to.
>>
>>17826727
Americans include people of all of South Latin and north America. Op didn't say he was white either faggot.
>>
good goiym. Waste time and resources on those poor poor African chilen
>>
>>17825182
Get your own life in order first. There are people who you can help in your own country. Extend empathy to your own kin first.
>>
>>17825182
can't wait to read about a schizophrenic autist who flipped his shit and poisoned a few hundred niglets
>>
>>17825182
>He had one job to do, but no experience or knowledge in doing anything whatsoever.
>He wanted to help people in need, even though he was bat shit crazy
>He lives with his dad, doesn't pay his taxes, and eats cheerios as his staple food
>#mostgivingsoulEVER
>>
>>17825182
Help out America first by taking more pills you fucking slut
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.