[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to a concert downtown tonight at a nightclub downtown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_nw4rs2e6iz1qe7ahoo1_1280.jpg (1MB, 1280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw4rs2e6iz1qe7ahoo1_1280.jpg
1MB, 1280x1600px
I'm going to a concert downtown tonight at a nightclub downtown in my city. I live out in the suburbs, and I usually don't go to concerts (or downtown) alone. I have no experience with clubbing or any of that scene. I'm a 20 year old female, and I always get mistaken for much younger, like 14-16. Not because I'm small, but I have a youthful face. My parents are concerned I may run into trouble either at the club or on the way home, as I'd have to take public transit, and it's Saturday night so there will be lots of people drinking. I have no street smarts and I'm very shy and non-confrontational.

My parents are concerned for my safety, and now that they're bringing it up, I'm starting to get nervous, too. Is this too dangerous? How do I handle it if someone comes up and talks to me? I don't ever want to cause a scene and I've been groped on public transit because I'm too nervous to speak up. Also I'm friendly when someone speaks to me, even if I'm not interested in them. How do I handle these situations in a way that isn't rude or mean, but still gets the message across? Should I just not go?

Another thing to note is that I don't drink, so I will be totally sober.
>>
Also to note, I dress very modestly (band t-shirt), and it is winter so I will be bundled up in a big coat/scarf/hat when outside.
>>
>>17820856
Take a taxi home
>>
>>17820863
taxi is expensive and I've never taken one before so I'd rather avoid it. What's the etiquette?
>>
>>17820856
just don't go

crime really does happen

by yourself you are begging for trouble from a pack of juveniles
>>
>>17820856

It may be too late now but you should do a self defence course. WIll do loads for you confidence, plus fitness, plus your own safety. My girl friend was the same, and now has a Glock 19 she carries everywhere. Pic vaguely related.
>>
>>17820856
don't go alone
doesn't matter if you're a 95lb girl or a 300lb man, going into urban/metro settings at night by yourself is a recipe for trouble. if it's just one thug you MIGHT be able to fight out of it, but those odds go downhill fast if 2-3 other thugs are involved
>>
>>17820976
>>17821685
>>17821698

These guys are idiots, I obviously don't know you, but if you don't look like a victim you'll be fine.

However you should go with someone, you will have an awful night if you go alone.
No one wants to just make friends on a night out except brief chats in smoking areas.

If you wanna dance, chat to someone regularly and not look like a creeper, go with at least one other person
>>
>>17820856
Come back to this string tomorrow and tell us whether you went and how it was.
>>
>>17821715
Not OP, but judging from what other people say concerts can still be pretty fun if you go alone, in fact it may be more liberating. But it all depends on OP's preferences of course.
>>
>>17820976
>>17821685
>>17821698
I didn't go. I'd never been to this particular venue before and I'd seen the artist a few times before and I was feeling a bit under the weather on top of it all so I decided to just eat the loss and stay home.

I'm sure nothing would have happened, but... Just an unfamiliar venue in an unfamiliar part of town was enough.

>>17821715
I think I do kind of look like a victim. Timid and shy. That said, I've been to concerts alone and I have a great time. I'm there for the music, nothing else. I don't go out to make friends or chat or whatever. The opposite in fact.
Usually I go with someone, but no one was into this particular artist.

>>17821748
Music is music, senpai. That's why I go!
>>
>>17821797
Ah, I was debating whether to go to a concert alone before, thanks for boosting my confidence.

Just curious though, where do you live? Speaking from an admittedly privileged perspective, I didn't really see the problem with you going alone as long as, as you said, you don't get drunk and seem to have a sensible head on your shoulders.
>>
>>17821909
Vancouver. Not really a bad place at all. I think it would have been fine if I went desu.
>>
I'm 21, until recently lived in vancouver, and went to shows on my own around the city. Most venues in the city aren't too scary, I suppose some places in gastown, maybe the imperial late at night?

I'd still say it's a good idea to bring a friend, you can still get harassed late at night on your way home, especially if you don't drive. Random drunks on thr skytrain, people hanging out outside bars will probably harass you. This is just what I've been told by female friends of mine.
>>
What city?
>>
>>17820953
could have tried an uber?

>>17821698
and no, it does matter. a 300lb man is so much less likely to be attacked.

>>17821748
>>17821797
i've been to about 6 concerts, and only 1 of them i was with someone else (my sister).
they are all great fun.

but it depends on the kind of music. i went to see bands that i am REALLY into, so those were fun regardless. i went to one show that was for a band i didn't even know, but i looked up their music and it was very heavy, and VERY easy to mosh to. so i went, cos moshing is fun as fuck.

i've got tickets for 2 more concerts in march. going alone, but idgaf. lots of fun.

having said all that, the concerts i've been to alone have been in Singapore and Melbourne (Australia). both are pretty safe places. melbourne is slightly less safe, but whatever. nothing has happened to me late at night yet (i am a guy, i'm not huge, i'm pretty short actually, under 6 foot). but i have started carrying a knife since i moved to Melbourne, just in case.

during my time off work over christmas/new year, i'm going to be out skateboarding at like 4am and shit cos that is a lot of fun at night. probably find some car parks to go to, some hills to bomb down. shit is gonna be cash.
>>
>>17823718
>carrying a knife
I would seriously reconsider that. From a practical perspective it's not a great self-defence weapon; if you pull it on someone else who has their own knife the short reach means that you have to expose yourself to harm in order to harm the assailant. Unless you are an expert in using it (as in years of practice, not minutes of youtube videos) you will probably both fuck each other up.

It's not good from a legal perspective either, my understanding is that if you are carrying it only as a weapon/for self-defence, if you do use it, or even threaten to use it, you can be charged. However I'm not a lawyer so if you really think you need to carry it then get a good understanding of the law first. It's probably easier to just give the junkie your phone than to spend thousands of dollars and days in court defending yourself.
>>
>>17823773
i am aware of all of this
i would only use it for intimidation, to get them to back off. if they don't back off, then i could run.

but i'm not too concerned for my own well-being anyway. if only i were to be so lucky that someone would stab me with my own knife, granting me the sweet release of death.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.