[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm moving 1,000 miles away at 18 without a job lined up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

I'm moving 1,000 miles away at 18 without a job lined up beforehand. The city I'm moving to has lots of open casual jobs (retail mostly) that I saw when I visited that I could do during school but it may take a bit to lock one down. I have $700 in the bank (I know I know), but the only expense I'll have is groceries and paying my friend $150 a month. And gas for my car but that's not a big deal. I live pretty lightly, don't spend much on useless things. I'm going to try and go to college but OOS tuition may be a bit much at first. I do make about $100 a week on selling things online, which is a small amount but I'm cheap as hell so it's enough.

Anyone have any financial pointers for living on a tight budget, even if just for a month or less before I get work set up? Cheapest recipes that don't get old, cheap alternatives to necessary items, entertainment/hobbies that are nearly free, etc. Thanks!
>>
Don't buy stupid shit. When I moved I drove through 8 states by not carrying any furniture at all in my car. It was just old clothes and kitchen stuff and my PC.

I bought a $150 mattress and then IKEAd the rest. Except it wasn't Ikea it was some Chinese off brand Ikea shit.

Buy a shitload of frozen and non perishable food so you don't keep going to the store, and walk a lot more than drive.

If you can't live comfortably like this, find a less expensive apartment or a better job
>>
>>17814298
I'm just gonna sleep on her couch, it's no difference really. Planning to get some furniture from Craigslist free and spruce it up, maybe some from thrift shops. I'm not taking big things, just my personal belongings, she has most furniture/silverware/appliances/etc already. I mostly eat vegetables, pasta, meat and typical breakfast foods so food isn't a huge expense, but I'll keep in mind not to splurge on fresh things often (canned pretty much always tastes the same IMO)
>>
I moved 6200km without a job this summer, I'm comfortable and doing well now.

Once you're there, don't buy food out. Make stirfry with beans and beansprouts and beef heart and cheap stuff like that. Nutritious and cheap. Mushrooms, lentils, etc. Experiment.
>>
>>17814287

thats actually not bad at all anon. depends how long your friend is willing to let you stay with him.

>Recipes that dont get old

all recipes get old anon.

if your friend has the storage for it this is what you do
>buy a giant bag of rice
>but a giant bag of pasta
>buy the bigger cans of pasta sauce (and some storage containers for iti nthe fridge.

for meat, try to stick to chicken and pork, the two cheapest. here in los angeles its about 1.14 cents a pound for chicken thighs. they have bone in and skin, but its half the price of boneless skinless. a minute of extra work removing those isn't worth the extra buck 50 imo.

porks also like a dollar fifty per pound if you buy it in big 6 pound bulks.

what city are you moving to?

>>17814307

dont trust free, its all bedbugs.
>>
>>17814321
oh not beds or anything, just dressers and tables and things like that. i'll buy a bed at some point, for now, her couch will be my home. we're going to live together long-term (hopefully), I have a paid off car that we can share as long as she gets the rent. If she had her own car she wouldn't be on any sort of insurance plan so she can't afford that, I think it'll work out. Definitely going to be making a bunch of stir fry dinners, haha.
>>
>>17815307
i'm poor as fuck living in melbourne, australia, and what i do to save money is when i'm eating at home, my meals cost something like 1 AUD. i just eat rice and some frozen thing. coles has these $4 frozen things. one of them is chicken tenders. you get like 6 pieces in each box. another is crumbed fish, 6 pieces too. I eat one of these fish and rice and just put soy sauce on the rice and some aioli on the fish and it's fine.

but.. i do love rice. the soy sauce is just so the rice isn't too dry.

but it's so cheap that i don't even give a fuck. i just put the fish/chicken in the oven for like 20 minutes and then i eat it with muh rice.

probs gonna be deficient in some nutrients but w/e maybe i'll die in a few months and that would be a good end.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.