[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ I fucked up. >buy van attempting to live in it to skip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: nervousanimegirl.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nervousanimegirl.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
/adv/ I fucked up.
>buy van attempting to live in it to skip rent
>bought at top of my budget thinking it was a good vehicle, good condition
>moving in there in two days
>took it to mechanic today (should have done it sooner I know)
>told it needs 3k in work
>told the inspection + most critical work is $350 (battery replacement), authorized them to do that
>going to attempt some smaller stuff on my own
>needed new battery, tires, sparkplugs/cables, some leak fixes, window motor, and cosmetic work (doing myself), maybe other shit idk, it was a list
>frantically trying to get my shit move-in-ing to the van
>should have forseen a used car would need some work
>should have done this sooner
>should have been ready sooner
>too late now

I don't know much about cars. Should I try to get a second mechanic's estimate? Yelp rated this one at 4.1 out of 5. There's another one I liked but they're 10 miles away, hard to get to and from and like I said this is gonna be my house. So what do? I can just not drive it more than to repark it a few blocks away for the next two months, thus avoid the tough winter driving, and get it fixed up in chunks. I don't want to ask /o/ because they'll laugh at me. I'm not mechanically inclined. Did I get screwed? Is the mechanic screwing me?
>>
You don't have to have everything working on the van to use it.

I see this big list of things that should be replaced/fixed, but no actual problems the vehicle is experiencing.

Any real problems with the way the vehicle runs should have been discovered before you purchased it. I find it difficult to believe it truly needs all of these things done.
>>
File: 1442462629999.jpg (11KB, 318x313px) Image search: [Google]
1442462629999.jpg
11KB, 318x313px
>>17814156
>when you buy a car to avoid rent but it ends up being more than rent
>>
>>17814656

I mean not really, the important work will be about 1-2 months of rent and then I'll have a perfectly good vehicle and zero rent. I want to do this for several years so the savings will be about 30-40k. It's up front cost for long term savings.

>>17814644

That's true. Not like it isn't functional as a dwelling for now. I just shouldn't road trip it. Thanks. When I was buying it, every van I was checking out got snatched up within the day, it was fierce competition. So I thought this one looked good and had a good maintenance history and I put the cash down.

> I find it difficult to believe it truly needs all of these things done.

I didn't have the opportunity to get a pre purchase inspection. I thought the car looked good but then again I'm not a car person. It does run decently and no horrible engine noises, and no rust. At least. Apparently the tires are really fucking bad. I guess it's all minor stuff now that I've calmed down. Should I get a quote for the work elsewhere? These guys are thorough but imo overpriced. The other guy is cheap but is a used-parts and duct tape kinda guy. This one was including cosmetic fixes in the quote, so I think I'll spend about 1500 in fixes. Is that a lot for fixing up a used car?
>>
where were you going to shower and bathroom?
>>
also what about internet and how would you cook and do your dishes
>>
list the problems you were told it has
>>
>>17814904

Inspection 160, battery replacement 160
Tires 500+120 alignment
Inspecting a window (motor is shit) 125 (not getting this)
275 to fix the side mirror, I'm just keeping packing tape on it
Oil pan gasket, transmission pan gasket, 300 and 350 respectively (leaking slightly)
Clean/degrease from the leaks 90
Spark plugs and wires, 350, and fuel induction service with that for 150
Sway bar brushings 120
Brake fluid change 100
Power steering fluid change 150

They also said it had body damage, IE some of the plastic is broken. I'm just gonna tape it with clear repair tape.

>>17814865
>>17814871

gym, coffee shop, library, eat out, piss/shit anywhere, piss jug for night emergency piss. those are minor problems in the scheme of things.
>>
>>17814965
Get new tires, check the fluids every 2 weeks, and wait for something to break to fix it. If you want to do preventative maintenance it can wait until you have extra money to spend on the van.
>>
>>17814965
Take it to a second place, they might be ripping you off. Always a good idea to get a second opinion
>>
well you definitely should have checked the tire before buying the van, car buying 101 and check for leaks. those definitely need to be replaced if they're bald and the alignment is out. the rest you can get by with slowly fixing everything. the fluids dont need to be changed necessarily or the seals need to be redune just buy some sealant
>>
>>17814156
As you're weighing the pros/cons of moving into a van, don't forget to weigh in the psychological effect. Not having a fully functional home takes a toll.

You may be able to adjust, and it may be too late now, but just bear that in mind. Keep the option open of moving back in with somebody if your life ends up going to shit because you feel like a hobo all the time.
>>
>>17815136

I've lived in far worse situations. Anyway I eventually want to travel in it so this is step one.

>>17815049

Yeah. I guess popping 50 to take it to the other guy might be an okay idea.

>>17815123
>just buy some sealant

Great, I didn't know that was an option! Thanks, I'll look into it. I inspected it to the best of my ability but...yeah. I'm pretty useless regarding cars.
>>
>>17815202
its not really recommended, most people just use a thicker oil until it seals itself, but it all dependso n how much money you want to sink in. just make sure you have oil on hand to top it up
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.