[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 26. I'd like to learn an instrument, but I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: boards.4chan.org 1480568030633.jpg (68KB, 589x595px) Image search: [Google]
boards.4chan.org 1480568030633.jpg
68KB, 589x595px
I'm 26. I'd like to learn an instrument, but I'm worried that I'm too old to learn rhythm. My dad and younger brother are both musicians, my brother had the benefit of joining band in school (my parents were pretty young when they had me, so they just got me a nintendo and let me hang out by myself).

I know it only takes like 40 hours of practice to get good at something, but what about something deeper like rhythm? Is putting together music mashups a good way to get a feel for it?
>>
>>17813373
It takes way more then 40 hours to get good at something you fucking idiot
>>
>>17813373
Just dive right into it. Rhythm is just being able to count. That's it. Before you try coming up with some strategy with how to learn something, just try learning it first. Find an instrument methods book, and go through it. I've been playing for ~10 years, and rhythm is still a work in progress. It's not a binary skill where you either have it or not. Everyone has a limit to the kinds of rhythms they can comprehend, and the only way to break through that limit is to expose yourself to more rhythms, and practice. You have a musical family. Get help from them.
>>
>>17813373
So by your math I should quit my full time job and take a week too master guitar then strt a band and become rich
>>
Used to really love music myself.
Had shit rhythm from playing guitar alone for a long time without having to play alongside a metronome, made recording very difficult to the point where there were times i was suspicious the computerized click track itself was somehow off beat.
Rhythm is just getting used to rhe intervals between hits and learning how to flow with it, like riding a wave.

Just do singing. Find some instrumental versions of your favorite songs and sing em out. Beat will be naturally ingrained to your most natural form of music, the voice.
Not too old, stop overthinking. Music is about feeling, not thinking.
>>
File: boards.4chan.org 1471563473875.jpg (161KB, 341x354px) Image search: [Google]
boards.4chan.org 1471563473875.jpg
161KB, 341x354px
>>17813456
>>17813583
40 hours of dedicated practice is around what it takes to learn something to a reasonable ability, yeah.

Music THEORY takes years to develop. The actual, mechanical skills of, say, playing a guitar don't take that much time to learn.
>>
>>17813373
I picked up a guitar at 30. I'm 32 now and still pretty shit but can learn songs and stuff, planning on getting rock smith to improve more but it's possible and fun to do.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.