[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All I want in life is to be able to read books and enjoy them,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

All I want in life is to be able to read books and enjoy them, as I did when I was a child. No matter how often I try, or which genre I read, they seem dull and lifeless. I've heard that it might be due to the fact that I go on this site and play videogames, which ruins my attention span somehow. If that's the problem, though, then I'd still be unhappy due to missing another of my hobbies.

It seems like a lose-lose situation. I just want to like reading. Do you have any ideas, /adv/?
>>
I totally relate to you, its an awful feeling.. I think it does have to do with the internet and that we have become too "lazy".

Maybe oyu could try audiobooks, its not quite the same, but its time efficient and you get the same content as from reading. You can also combine it with something else. For example, I always watch a series or listen to audiobooks while playing video game passages that don't have story (like farming, or shooters)
>>
>>17807350
Read shorter more action involved books, if you haven't already, pick up anything by R.A Salvatore. Drizzt do'Urden's legend is hands down one of the greatest epics I have ever had the pleasure of reading.
>>
>>17807355
Thanks for the idea, this actually seems helpful. At least I'm not alone.

>>17807363
I can't afford any new stuff right now, but I have some Tolkien. Do you know if his non-LOTR stuff is good?
>>
>>17807386
No Problem! The only time I still get to reading is either comics or on vacation with no wifi..

If you like Tolkien, maybe try out the Rimworld series, it is fantasy but very light hearted and has a lot of satirical humour.
>>
>>17807390
Ahh damn, I meant Discworld, not Rimworld lmao
>>
>>17807386
plenty of online pdf's and his books are short like 300-400pgs but there's about 10 in any given series. Plus I have never seen his books over 10 bucks.

Its alright, its more like dis-conjointed short stories. The Silmarillion is fucking amazing I hope to the book gods they never live action it.
>>
>>17807386
>I can't afford any new stuff right now
Try the library!
Honestly, this is all about just sticking with it. You've gotta retrain your neural pathways to process reading again. It'll happen, but you gotta keep at it.

>>17807391
>Rimworld
>Discworld
Do you mean Ringworld? I love Niven.
>>
>>17807391
kek Rimworld... sounds...kinky
>>
>>17807398
Lol, no it's definitely Discworld. Ringworld is Science fiction but I belive thats where Terry Pratchett got the inspiration for the name from.
>>
>>17807398
>You've gotta retrain your neural pathways to process reading again
Is that a real thing? I have been trying to read poetry for about a week now, but not much has changed I feel.
>>
>>17807417
A week is seriously super short. It takes at least triple that to establish a habit, assuming you're doing this every day multiple times a day.
>>
>>17807401
Looking that up, I think I'd like it a lot!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.