[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw I want to get really good at a video game I'm so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: Komori.jpg (1MB, 2340x1316px) Image search: [Google]
Komori.jpg
1MB, 2340x1316px
>tfw I want to get really good at a video game

I'm so passionate about this it hurts. I first started playing 3 months ago and I've improved a lot but I just want to be so much better
It's all I think about and I no longer care about actually doing well in college
>>
hahahahahahaha
>>
OP is it some shitty game like Dota or League? Please don't throw your life away on that kind of trash

I'd only have respect for you if it was some kind of fighting game and you were actually good at it, otherwise it's just trash
>>
Lol this is the new "i want to be a famous rapper thing", except more pathetic.

Get real.
>>
>>17806675
>>17806658
>>17806631
Why get real?
How did the really good people get good
They practiced and went to tournaments

Why is that unattainable? It's not the same as wanting musical talent or intelligence
>>
>>17806679
For one they started much earlier.

Other than that, intelligence and musical talent do help you in other paths of live, while "being good at a game" is only a valuable skill in very, very, very unlikely scenarios.
>>
>>17806690
>they started earlier
Untrue
Alot of them started at the same age as me now
>>
>>17806628
>>17806679

If you wanna git gud and make money out of it then stop posting about it on an imageboard and get out there and do it

Just dont throw your life away (Aka, throw away much better prospects and opportunities) over a fantasy. Not everyone's good enough to make it

And remember: Everyone thinks they're good enough to make it
>>
>>17806704
It's not really about making money for me. I just want to be one of the best in my region
I practice every day
When I'm not practicing I'm thinking about the game
I can't go to tournaments because I have no transportation and it frustrates me but I have local people I people with every day who are really good so that helps.
I don't really care about throwing away my life, I have low standards of living.
>>
>>17806712

Then go for it

Get a job or something and save up money so you can get a car or scooter and drive to tourneys and shit

Nobodies gonna dump opportunities on your lap. Make that shit happen for you
>>
>>17806695
They might've started their carrier at the same age but they were playing competitively from much earlier on.

Vidya is very methodical and repetitive, just like chess so having a head start is pretty important.
>>
>>17806628
>I'm so passionate about this it hurts
just do it brah. i was in the top 100 1v1 players on wc3 tft (not fucking dota, actually ladder wc3) on my server. i was never a pro or known by name but when i tell anyone that has interest in video games they are impressed. and i have other stuff going for me as well so i didnt waste my life on a meh achievement that fucking useless.
>>
>>17806628
What game?
>>
>>17806760
This, I wanna know too.
>>
>>17806712
>local people I people with
Must be some normie activity.
>>
I start a game and can get into the top 1% of ranked players within a month or two. I'm NOWHERE near being good enough to go pro in any games and if you can't get to a competitive level in a few months then you're not meant to play games competitively. Some people are better than others at it. You don't automatically get better by spamming games you need to actually try to improve. You just might be stupid and unable to analyze your mistakes to improve.
>>
play starcraft or super metroid deez are gud
>>
>>17806628
Here is the thing about passion
A passion for science will eventually allow you to discover and understand and even make amazing things
A passion for art will eventually allow you to create beautiful touching things that affect people's lives
A passion for history could have you understand civilization and make you shape society into something better
A passion for a videogame will make you good at that videogames and nothing else and at some point couple of months, couple of years if you are extremely lucky you are going to hate it
>>
>>17806628

STOP, while u can
I wasted 2 years on a game that way.
Became one of the best players for nothing. Couldn't login without newer players constantly begging for help.
After all the time i had put in, it became repetitive and boring.
Just don't do it OP, games like that are for high school kids without responsibiliies.
>>
>>17806679
>How did the really good people get good
Lots and lots of commitment and practice, and starting very early

>Why is that unattainable?
It isn't, it's just a really shitty goal for 99% of the human population and you think you're some weird exception

>>17806695
>Alot of them started at the same age as me now
This would make you around 10 or 11. Most esports personalities and professional gamers start at around that age, though some much earlier.

>It's not really about making money for me
That's a good thing, because there's very little money in esports anywhere except at the top 2% of the ladder or sponsorship deals

>I don't really care about throwing away my life, I have low standards of living.
Then why are you posting this thread in /adv/? Go make shitty choices all you want.

I participated in a few competitive tournaments for SC2 when it was coming up, and I very briefly thought I wanted to become a professional gamer.

Fortunately common sense won out and I realized how little money you make for the extreme amount of effort- which is mostly because it's young people with no life experience throwing their lives away and reducing the barrier to entry even further.

In short, unless you're very good at sponsoring yourself you're not going to make any money or gain anything to put on a CV or build anything worthwhile- you're just going to throw away a chunk of your life chasing a higher number.

If it makes you happy to do so at that ultra competitive level when you've no time for anything else- go for it
>>
Im willing to help with advices. semi-pro gamer here.
what games do you play/want to get good at?
>>
>>17806628
you never focus on just one thing in life. you always need a plan b. you can make college your plan b and becoming a professional e sports player your plan a. that's a healthy choice. but you shouldn't abandon your other options. that's dumb and will only create stress in the long term ("uh what am i doing i really need to succeed at plan a bc there's no alternative"). and this kind of stress is not productive either. it will most likely hold you back more than simply putting some time into plan b from the start
>>
>>17807700
>they started at 10 or 11
No dude
>>
>>17807679
>the video games are meaningless meme
Well they mean something to OP and apparently mean enough that people test their skills for cash prizes so how about you fuck off
>>
Some advice from a gamer who lived off of tournament winnings for a relatively long period of time;

Needing to have a head start from 10 years old is BS. The earlier you get in, the better, naturally, but plenty of people get into scenes in their late teens / 20s and make big waves.

Having a back up plan is a good idea though, or even just a side job to make consistent money. Tournament winnings can be fickle for many reasons, so having some other side gig / part time job is highly recommended, especially for someone up and coming. You have to actually have money to be able to travel to tournaments and support yourself in the meantime, before things can potentially pick up.

Judging by how you're talking about travelling to tournaments, I'm guessing you're playing some sort of fighting game. I would definitely recommend checking Facebook for local groups for whatever game it may be. They're a great resource for finding players to practice with. Additionally, you can hit people up about potential carpooling; most players are down for it as long as you split gas with them. If you want to divulge the specific game you play, might be able to give more advice in that vein.

As far as making money goes, I wouldn't recommend trying to actually profit off of any national level tournament anytime soon. The number of people who actually profit off of them are minuscule (3-5 vs the hundreds of entrants). Whenever I was living off of them, most of the tournaments I won were local or regional things, 30-80ish entrants. With me going to sometimes as many as 7-8 of them a month, making a bit of money off of placings at bigger tournaments and one regional sized win, I made an average of 1K a month. If I had been using the extra time I had on a side gig, I would've been making pretty solid money.
>>
Practicing every day is good, but make sure you're practicing properly. Find the things that are key to your game and drill those into your head. Find out what you've done that's been working and drill ways to make it work better. Find what has been blowing you up and drill ways to get around it. Study will be important in the long run; it seems like you have the love of the game for it, if you're thinking about it constantly, but practice requires higher thinking as well.

>>17807679
>A passion for a videogame will make you good at that videogames and nothing else and at some point couple of months, couple of years if you are extremely lucky you are going to hate it

Done poorly, this is true. Done correctly, passion for competitive gaming can eventually lead to positions in commentary, tournament organization, mentoring, or even fighting game balancing / development itself.

Will it be easy? Hell no. Will it be as fruitful if you just studied to be an engineer instead? Highly unlikely. Successfully making it as a pro-gamer requires a good deal of luck in addition to the hard work you'll need to put in, but it can happen. It won't always (or even often) be sunshine and rainbows, but don't let people tell you that it can't work.

Feel free to ask any questions, if there's other specific things you want advice on.
>>
ride that wave and get money OP,you can come back to Uni later
>>
What game OP? Or do you mean any game?

Similar position, but I've been a poor fag with a couple different jobs the last few years and I just want to do something with games. I'm good at them, I enjoy them, most everything in my life has to do with them. I've met my friends because if it and we continue to bond over them.

I'd say don't restrict yourself to just competing, there is a ton more out there, but if the competition is all you want then gtfo and go play the damn game, look up guides, watch other people play, and fucking improve. If you tell us what game specifically we might be able to give more specific advice.
>>
>>17806628
I advise against it.

Constantly challenge yourself to deal with more difficult situations in the game, pay attention to the way the game works, etc.

Don't bother if RNG is a large aspect of the game.
>>
>>17806628
what game
>>
>>17806628
Games are degenerate
>>
i was rank 11 in runescape dueling under leveled & funded. i was the best in the world but nobody would enter with me. flawless brid .
>>
>>17808274
This
>tfw I threw away ~$50 at Hearthstone
Siege is a much better game to get immersed in
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.