[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT college thread because /sci/ only likes creationist vs evolution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: P1030032-e1364210813555.jpg (217KB, 867x650px) Image search: [Google]
P1030032-e1364210813555.jpg
217KB, 867x650px
ITT college thread because /sci/ only likes creationist vs evolution theads (because they are on topic)

I go to the University of Toronto and study math.
How about you?

My plans are to go to graduate school. I'm looking at UIUC, Madison Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana University Bloomington, and Stony Brook. Which of those schools, in your mind, has the best reputation? Which is the most impressive? Which have you heard of? I'm curious to hear from Americans as well as non Americans. Please feel free to share your college plans, too.
>>
File: 0e61.jpg (21KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
0e61.jpg
21KB, 500x328px
I'm in college for compsci and I'm probably gonna be a wage slave until I'm 80 since I don't have any actual skills in computers or anything in general. Anyone else on this train?
>>
>Which of these is best
Ohio State is the only one that stands out to me as being a well known school, and thats because its fucking gigantic.
The school you go to doesnt matter unless it's ivy-league, what matters is what you study, what internships you take, and what research you push yourself to do.

>>17806369
Too many of you.
Stop cluttering up my field.
>>
>>17806369
Good lord man why would you study comp sci then?

>>17806378
Seriously, you think Ohio State is better than Madison, UIUC, and Michigan?
And by the way none of those are "ivies" but they are all listed as "public ivies" and also their graduate math departments are all top 20 in the world. Notably, U Michigan is 9th in the USA for mathematics.
>>
How do I into college? Do I have to start at the lowest degree and go all the way up? Can I just go straight for the highest one? I literally don't have anyone learn basic life skills from, I want to be a software developer because I like the brain exercise and computers are the thing I'm most competent at but I don't know the most efficient route to turn it so I can find work anywhere. I don't really want to start my own business.
>>
>>17806391
Go to university and study software engineering.

Or, go to community college and learn whatever computer programming tech program they have, and self study a lot and you can get a decent job like that too.

computers are interesting in that at least for non-theoretic stuff, you can learn almost everything on your own.
>>
>>17806389
>why would you study comp sci then?
because I'm okay at it and I could probably bullshit around and make it to a mid level IT job and stay there until I either get laid off or die.

>>17806378
don't blame me, blame the companies that hire people like me who don't know shit.
>>
>>17806416
That's depressing. Where do you go to school?
>>
>>17806389
I'm telling you it doesn't matter, and that the only one I recognized was Ohio State.
Your employer really, genuinely does not give a shit about where you went to school unless it's a notable name for something. If you've done the research on that then you'll be able to make your own informed decision.

If you work hard at pretty much any university you'll be able to work your way into advanced programs and research that will put you above qualification regardless.
>>
>>17806416
> mid level IT job
Same guy as before:
No you won't. IT requires a completely separate skillset, and doesn't really warrant college.
You'll probably get a job as a codemonkey or software QA though. Though I strongly recommend you reconsider because spending 9 hours a day gawking at lines of code can drive somebody unenthusiastic out of their minds
>>
>>17806437

If the person who's hiring you doesn't know whether the school you went to is good or not for the field you're in, you should probably find a better place to work.

>>17806335

Political Science, Rice University for myself.
>>
Studying Civil Engineering at the University of Kansas. I'd like to get into research, but find it difficult since I don't know much about the field yet.
>>
Studying computer science at Rensselaer Poly

Just fuck me up, son
>>
Getting an AAS in IT in community college while working a boring helpdesk job. Planning to go to Liberty University online after graduating since they offer the degrees I want.
>>
>>17806335
Im in my last year of my bachelor in applied physics. I genuinly enjoy modelling problems, and going through hardcore theory a lot.

I went through a rough patch in my second year of uni, which fucked up my average, but hey it is only my bachelor.

Right now I have a clear goal in seight: I want to do a PHD in an area that I like, and then move on to model (physical problems) for the rest of my life.

The road will be long and hard, I might not make it. If I don't make it, at least I learned a shittone which I can apply, and hopefully get a decent job.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.