[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will working out "cure" my anxiety, depression, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Will working out "cure" my anxiety, depression, and procrastination habits? Im mentally and physically drained and I hate myself so much because of the things Im not doing. Every advice just goes in but I never put any effort to follow through with the advice and I end up sitting in front of my computer all day.

The thing I could do is probably lift. I have sets of weights and a bench and some protein powder that I havent used in months. The thing is, would being fit somehow change me positively?

Little background on me
>Introverted and I hate how I never take initiative and speak up for myself
>skinny
>not that many friends
>not very smart but im going to community in less than a month and havent studied for placements...
>cramped home with 3 people in one room and I hate my father %100
>cant drive (procrastination)

I just want to happy but I cant break free from my personal struggles.
>>
>>17805794
add on:
>toxic friends that used to pick on me and had a anxiety attack and broke out by forcing myself to speak up (I dont see them anymore)
>dont really talk at home unless spoken to
>>
Probably not. Not by itself. Being physically active helps a lot with your mental state but it's not a perfect cure for every problem you might have.

But yeah, it would definitely help and it's a start. If you can I suggest working out at a gym though. If you can't do that for whatever reason at least go out for a jog in the park once in a while.
>>
Alright listen up.
>can making healthy changes to my life make me feel better?

Absofuckinglutely. Simple dietary changes and exercise can make such massive improvements in your mental state that the age old advice of eat-right+exercise can seem damn near mythic. But you can see for yourself how much better of a state you can put yourself in.

Check out the book Brain Maker, which goes into the concepts of your intestinal bacteria and their state regarding your dietary choices and how it affects your brain (alzheimers, anxiety, autism, parkinson's, inflammation at large). Implement some of the suggestions the book gives for at least a sustained week and see how you feel.

From there you can really get into proper exercise. Stretching is absolutely huge, and you should start with things related to it like aerobics or yoga. After really getting into that, you'll have great fundamentals to get into lifting and be aesthetic as fuck because the stretching and aerobics/yoga will have you on your way to mastering great form.
You'll be blown the fuck away by how comfortable and happy you'll be in comparison to now.
Fucking go for it, time spent sitting around and thinking about it does nothing.
>>
>>17805794
There's a good possibility if you take it seriously.

Being fit, meaning lifting and controlling your diet, is a constant work in progress that you always have to stay on top of. It's something you have to keep progressing at and learning. Always be trying new things. So in that sense it keeps you organized and motivated. You have to keep on top of your diet, count your macros, find new healthy things to eat, etc. You have to study the ins and outs of lifting. Routines, exercises, rep range, etc.

I think it could help with your procrastination for sure. Depression and anxiety? Possibly, the pump is real. Runner's high is real. Once you start looking better and seeing gains you'll feel better about yourself. The best part is you're being healthy and decreasing health problems in the future.

It's tough, it's a lot of work, but it's worth it. It takes a lot of dedication. Start small and build a foundation then build upon that. Don't expect change over night, but don't give up.

I'm actually a little depressed right now because I haven't been in the gym in 8 days because I've got tendinitis in my right wrist, but working out after I get off work is the best way to unwind.
>>
>>17805807
Like this anon said. It likely won't cure it, but chances are it will improve it. A lack of exercise, sleep, good food, sunlight, and fulfilling social life can all contribute to depression, and making sure you get enough of these can cure depression caused by lack of them, and reduce clinical (brain-rooted) depression.
>>
>>17805794

>Will working out "cure" my anxiety, depression, and procrastination habits?

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is, no not by itself but in combination with a lot of other changes of habit/medication/therapy, sort of.

Anxiety and depression are never cured, only managed.

So yes, you should start working out but get this idea out of your head that exercise is a cure-all. Its not. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
>>
thank you for the replies

>>17805807
It's a start, yeah. The gym sounds like a good idea but that's when I get my license. I go biking at work so I guess that's good

>>17805817
>>17805814
>>17805827
man, this sounds pretty good. Too much toxicity in my mind and I just need to get rid of it
>>
>>17805840
>but in combination with a lot of other changes of habit/medication/therapy, sort of

yeah I got rid of most of my social media and friends but I find myself on my laptop for hours. Medication, I might go back to it. I stopped bc I felt like throwing up most of the time. Therapy, maybe.
>>
I was the same way OP and lifting changed my life.
However, recently I moved and I lost the passion. In college I was totaling 1200lb for bench, deadlift, squat and about 2 months ago I could only do like 750 because I lost my gym bros when I got a job.

However, 2 months ago I enrolled in an Olympic lifting class at a crossfit box. I hate crossfit but the Olympic lifting class is great. I paid up the ass for 150$... and it's worth it for the motivation and coaching. My coaches has a PhD and the other a masters.

If you lost motivation or need some drop the cash and do Oly lifting
>>
>>17805843
I find anxiety tends to come up a lot in people with very active minds without something to dedicate their head to in a healtht way. Deppression tends to hold hands with anxiety in younger people especially. So simply giving yourself your own health & habits to reform is in itself a therapy, with great results. Good mental development will translate to good physical development, and good physical development will translate to good mental development when you are making both part of the same committment: Health and Satisfaction.

Besides that, you will be surprised how much diet directly influences moods and therefore habits. McDonald's, huge intake of sugar (fruit juice, sweets, lots of baked goods), and diets low in plant-based fibers & fats have a massive effect on your mind, and anyone who says they aren't linked, is wrong.
Like anons above said, this won't be your cure-all. But few things in life have a 1 step fix. This step will, however, get you on that road in a massive way.
From there it will be easier to uncover the negative beliefs you've been carrying towards yourself and the world at large that create your poor mental habits. Keep in mind that You are Not what you Feel. The feelings are only ever symptoms. The roots of your issues, are what you believe.
Get to the ground levels of your fundamental outlooks. Be healthy to yourself, especially mentally.
Anxiety and depression is not unique, and it is NOT undefeatable as pharma & their shills will have you believe.
Prove to yourself that you can make these changes one goal at a time, and there you will have all the evidence you need to go all the way.
Now go make yourself better today.
>>
It will most def help
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.