[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got hired at UPS, and apparently they don't allow employees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: beardtypes.jpg (111KB, 945x686px) Image search: [Google]
beardtypes.jpg
111KB, 945x686px
Just got hired at UPS, and apparently they don't allow employees to have beards? I start tomorrow and have had a neatly trimmed non-hipster beard for years with many other jobs, even in the food industry where it was completely acceptable. It's also just a seasonal job with no promise of getting full time. I need the money for the holidays but feel it's emasculating to shave a beard for a shitty job. I plan on going into work without shaving. But apparently there's a chance I'll be fired which is ridiculous. What would you do? I can't really afford to not go to work unless I have something else lined up.
>>
>>17801749

Shave your beard. You are acting like you have dignity when you don't.
>>
>>17801749
If you desperately need the money and can't afford to lose the job, do what they fucking told you to do, you idiot. Willfully violating policy on your very first day would make an incredibly bad first impression, even if they didn't fire you right away.
>>
A while back, I decided that I wouldn't sell myself out for jobs. For example, I believe in a separation of work and personal life. If a company I applied to asked for some kind of personal information unrelated to the job such as access to my social media accounts as a requirement for the job, I would turn them down.

Have you been explicitly told that you would need to shave your beard as part of the hiring process? If not, I'd go in without shaving and see if anyone raises an issue. I so, I wouldn't even bother going.

Like you said, it's a seasonal job that likely won't result in a better position. It's not even worth much as far as selling yourself out goes.
>>
Fuck these two above me, but they aren't wrong. I hate the way I look clean shaven too, and jobs that make you shave are invasive in your personal life for doing so (if there's no practical reason that is). Just stick it out for the time being if that's the case. Jobs like that rarely take people up full or part time. Just move on to a place that doesn't have arbitrary rules after the season
>>
>>17801780
So if I didn't I would have dignity? I don't think this job warrants a change in my appearance.
>>17801789
That's true.

I guess I might just see what they do lol.
>>
>>17801749
Can't you ask your manager for an exception first before you actually endanger your chances to get fired?
>>
>>17801795

>So if I didn't I would have dignity? I don't think this job warrants a change in my appearance.

Start making over a 100k, and you will have more leeway. A guy I work with has tattoos on his knuckles and neck and rides a Harley to a white collar office at a national Bank. Guess how many phds he has though?

Want to really do what the fuck you want, start a business.

Your mistake is thinking you are in a place to have dignity, but when you need an entry level job, you are far far from that place. I am not trolling.

>>17801793
>>17801794

I fully understand your point, but then there are realities of shitty circumstances.
>>
>>17801804
>I fully understand your point, but then there are realities of shitty circumstances.

Of course, which is why I decided become self-employed and never work for someone else again so I'd never have to sell myself out.
>>
File: 50 shades of grey.jpg (31KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
50 shades of grey.jpg
31KB, 1024x576px
>>17801749
> I can't really afford to not go to work
> Work requires shaving
So shave. Or starve. Your choice.

> I plan on going into work without shaving.
Then you are wasting your time and UPS'.

I command a crew at a warehouse. Every holiday we bring in temp work for Christmas. It's the nature of the retail industry. I have to put up with the children, the crusaders and the libtards who think that they're too good for company policy. They come into work drunk, high, with their pants under their ass, etc. etc.

I'm not your momma. I'm trying to run a professional business. I didn't make the policy. I have bosses who expect it followed, and expect me to enforce the rules.

Either get with the program or stay home.
>>
>>17801810

And I am telling you not to sabotage yourself on the way there. Your beard doesn't matter when more important things are in play.
>>
>>17801813
But your beliefs do. Standing up for what you believe is right does.

The last thing we need are more people who don't have any moral compass trying to do anything they can to get ahead.
>>
>>17801793
This I'd pretty much how I was looking at it. It's a bullshit policy, and apparently the feds are suing them over it.
>>17801794
This might end up having to happen sadly if there this retarded about it.
>>17801797
I have to call tomorrow before I go in so I could ask but there just gonna tell me to shave lol.
>>17801804
Eh, I get what you're saying but it is an entry level job and there everywhere. I went to ups even though it's seasonal cause then it'd be easy to get a full time position with them and move up in the company. But then learning this I might just say fuck it and move up in another company or as you said start my own business. It's just a shitty job and I can find another one. I just need to do it now.
>>17801812
It's not a matter of starving. It's a matter of extra money to give gifts to the ones I love for the holidays while my main source of income handles the bills for now.
>>
>>17801820

>But your beliefs do. Standing up for what you believe is right does.

You aren't changing anything by being broke. Well, except making yourself broke. See >>17801812, he explains it better than I can. You think you are on some mission, when in reality you are trying a hissy fit.

>The last thing we need are more people who don't have any moral compass trying to do anything they can to get ahead.

>beard
>moral compass

Again, you aren't changing anything by being broke.
>>
OP the right decision is to show up on your first day shaved, and then ask politely if you can have what you had

showing up without shaving when they specifically ask you to looks bad
>>
>>17801825
That's like saying your one vote doesn't change anything, so everyone may as well stay inside and not bother voting.
>>
>>17801822
>I could ask but there just gonna tell me to shave lol.
Eh, depends on the person. When I had a retail job there was a strict dress code but I wore whatever I wanted, the bosses noted it couple times but was never overly serious about it. He eventually dropped it.

Perhaps the guy you talk to thinks the policy is retarded too and will be more lenient. It's worth a shot. Specially if you come of as professional and clean otherwise.
>>
>>17801820
>But your beliefs do. Standing up for what you believe is right does.
>The last thing we need are more people who don't have any moral compass trying to do anything they can to get ahead.
Jesus christ, dude, rein in the melodrama. They're asking you to fucking shave, not push Grandma into traffic.

I say this as a guy who has not been clean-shaven even once in the last fifteen years, and who quit my first job on the first day because they asked me to lose the beard. I did that then because I was not supporting myself at the time and because I had other options (I found a new job that didn't require me to shave later that same week). If you are supporting yourself and you have no other options, just shave your goddamn beard. Right now you're acting like such a bitch about it that you aren't even worthy of the beard in the first place.
>>
I was going to reply, but a 100 times this: >>17801842
>>
>>17801842
We've already established that OP isn't in dire need of money, which puts him in the same situation in which you chose to quit rather than shave your beard.

It doesn't matter how severe the issue is, if you believe something is wrong, you should stand up to it.
>>
>>17801855

Go campaign against starvation in Africa. What the fuck are you doing here. There are wrongs to be righted.
>>
>>17801855
That's not standing up for something that's wrong, that's just not doing something that you don't want to do. Stop trying to bring morality into it, because it's completely laughable.

If OP can afford to find another job instead, then I fully encourage him to do so rather than shaving (which he doesn't want to do) for this job (which he doesn't sound like he really wants or needs as much as he made it sound at first). However, I DON'T encourage him to just show up unshaven on his first day like he doesn't give a fuck about the policy; that's childish, disrespectful, and inconsiderate.
>>
>>17801838
Good point I guess I'll ask and go from there.
>>17801842
>>17801860
(>>17801820 wasn't me)
but Im not saying having a beard is the biggest deal in the world to me. But I do look better with it and like it. So if I value that more then a job for extra holiday cash which in my mind I do need it is up for question to me. Which is why I posted this thread to see what you guys think. And most of you have valid points. I guess I'll just talk to them about it when I have to call in the morning and go from there. But I probably won't shave lol. It's not the end of the world.
>>
Just claim you're a Muslim and that your beard is associated with your religion. It works in the U.S. Military.

Don't feel too bad about lying, they're making you cut away your hair for no reason.
>>
ITT neckbeards acting like children

What a surprise
>>
>>17801883
Implying all beards are neckbeards
>>
Just ask your manager and tell him it's groomed well. Think of it this way; he'd rather you ask before his superiors give him shit because his new part timer already came in groomed under-code.
>>
>>17801749
Unless the drivers rat you out or you're spied you'll never be seen by management. Your driver is essentially your manager. You'll probably be warned before they fire you.

Also, that job's not worth what it used to be. Union found out they were paying the seasonal workers the same as the drivers and complained, so they now get paid significantly less with a bonus for perfect attendance that bumps you up to the old pay rate. It's still bullshit. Have they changed the pay scheme again? This was like a decade ago.
>>
>>17801876
I admire you standing up for your principles, but UPS certainly won't. The dispatcher that calls you in the morning and gives you your assignment isn't going to side with you. Your driver might, but this is risky. Again, him or his coworkers could rat you out.

Logistics is like the military. Hell, I had a driver that was a vet tell me, "you know what the difference between UPS and the Army is? The Army actually cares about you." He then shares an anecdote about how in the Army, his superiors would tell his squad to take breaks on hot daya to cool off and rehydrate. He also told me a story of how management found a driver that cracked in a refrigerator or freezer once on a hot summer day.

They don't call it the Brown Army for nothing.
>>
Just shave you fucking twat.
>>
>>17801749
Shave that facial ornament, because it will only grow back stronger and manlier.
>>
OP, I hear universities and trade schools are cool with beards so you could always try that route and get a real job.
>>
Put on one of those cough masks that Asians wear when they have a cold/it is flu season.

Stuff your beard in that shit, say you have a cold, and when you go solo keep your beard. I am in Cali and have seen UPS Driver's with long ass beards lool.

That, or just find another job and set up interviews for a backup job.

gl, m8.
>>
>>17801749
How badly do you need the money? If you need it to survive then I suggest you swallow your pride and shave. If not then take your chances.
>>
>>17801749

I work for UPS, went inn as part-time during seasonal as well. I didn't have a beard, I had a goatee, minus the shitty soul patch. But I trim it short, so its no more than 1cm at length and short low cut hair.

I was told shave it or fired, after coming inn with it.

I did and now am full-time and grew back the same shit. No one cares now. Stop being a bitch and just deal with it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.