[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad hasn't shown me any proper affection, especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1447701257736.jpg (107KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
1447701257736.jpg
107KB, 400x372px
My dad hasn't shown me any proper affection, especially not in person, since my parents got divorced (16 years ago).

Basically, I don't dislike him as a person, but as a Father I couldn't hate him more. He's nothing like me, he's super rich and hasn't even tried to contact me for about 11 months (the longest conversation I've had with him within that time is about 10 minutes long).

Now that it's Christmas time, I don't know what I should do, this is the first Christmas where I've realised how much I dislike him (my brother and I visited him last Christmas, but he ignored us most of the time). What should I do about a present? Do I just act as though I "love" him?
>>
>hasn't even tried to contact me for about 11 months

Sounds like a shit parent.

>as a Father I couldn't hate him more.
>Do I just act as though I "love" him?

No. Would denying your feelings and lying to yourself make you happy? I think not.

Let me ask you this: What do you want out of this relationship with your father? Affection? A phone call once in a while? An apology for all the times he wasn't there?
>>
>>17798491
We pick our friends but we're stuck with our family. Has it occurred to you that the person you are now is a near-stranger to him as well, someone he can't relate to whatever feelings he had for the child he last had much to do with 16 years ago? What you experience as his coldness might just be his awkwardness at knowing how to relate to this adult or near-adult you have become.

Instead of pining for the loving daddy you lost 16 years ago, see what kind of man-to-man relationship might still be open to the two of you.
>>
Your mom was probably a gold digger who tried to catch a wealthy man with a baby.
You should dislike your mother.
Tell your dad that you wan't him to be a better dad. Man like and respect straight truth. What ever you do, DO NOT FAKE anything, your mother played that game and lost.
>>
>>17798674
>>17798708
I don't know what I want, I've only ever thought about how it's made me feel rather than what could remedy it.

He was never a loving dad, I was too young to know what he was like from memory, but I know I didn't enjoy seeing him.

I am not willing to engage with him, but I appreciate what you are both saying, if he wants to repair what he's done then I'll be open to that.

Thanks.
>>
>>17798717
My parents met when they were 15. Not really a "gold digger" when my grandad on my Dad's side is a builder and my grandad on my mum's side was a Minister.

They both lived in poverty until my dad got a lucky break when he learnt to program. Fuck off.
>>
>>17798491

Yah my mom left my dad when I was 3 to be a strong independent woman. He dodged child support cause she refused to let him see us. Be glad he was even in your life to begin with.
>>
>>17798943
I'm so grateful he's left with me with irreversible trust issues, depression and anxiety. Thanks dad. >:(
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.