[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear German Speakers, Advice on the proper placement of "nicht"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

File: Super german happy kid.png (322KB, 368x280px) Image search: [Google]
Super german happy kid.png
322KB, 368x280px
Dear German Speakers,

Advice on the proper placement of "nicht"?

Thank you
>>
i dont want to buy this carpet, nigger
- ich möchte diesen Teppich nicht kaufen, Neger

specific question?
>>
>>17793243
Just google it.
Ideally after years and years of exposure to native German speakers, you will instinctively know the correct position.
>>
>>17793243
Usually at the end of a sentence if you say you don't do something.
"Ich esse das nicht"
"Ich mag das nicht"
>>
>>17793243
i'm a native speaker and just wondering what's particularly difficult about this??
>>
>>17793279

Sometimes it's after the verb. Sometimes it's after it. Sometimes it's at the end. And so on.
Pretty common difficulty for German learners to be honest.
>>
>>17793254
Like if there are any rules to it? I've been learning German for 3 semesters and have been using nicht as I hear it used, and the only rules we have been told about where to place it were along the lines of

place is before something you want to negate, and at the end of the sentence if you want to negate the entire thing. But for example, if I were to negate the clause "Weil sie für Jobs im Westen qualifiziert waren" I want to put it before qualifiziert, but some places say to put it in front of für Jobs, im Westen, or waren. Because I don't know the actual rules, I don't know what is correct.

>>17793279
It is just sometimes it is not super clear
>>
>I want to put it before qualifiziert, but some places say to put it in front of für Jobs, im Westen, or waren. Because I don't know the actual rules, I don't know what is correct.

Both are correct.
>>
>>17793295
Oh, but before im Westen is wrong.
>>
>>17793298
Thank you.
Why would im Westen be wrong though?
>>
>>17793295
And before waren is wrong too. To claryfy this: It's right before für Jobs and before qualifiziert. The rest is rubbish.
>>
>>17793293
Ich will nichts von dir.
Nichts will ich von dir.
Von dir will ich nichts.
Will ich von dir nichts?
>>
>>17793302
Because you say they were not qualified for jobs in the west. Try to see the negated part of the sentence as a unit. You have to put nicht around the negated thing, not inside.
>>
>>17793309
Don't make it any harder for the guy, nichts doesn't work like nicht. Separate those.
>>
>>17793309
Nichts und nicht sind unterschiedlich.
>>17793311
Hmmm, I see what you're saying, but I could just as easily see it as "In the west they were not qualified for jobs" which kind of makes it confusing. Should I just keep trusting my gut?
>>
>>17793243
What is the best way to learn German? I'm currently learning with DuoLingo but it doesn't explain the rules that well desu.
>>
>>17793254

You see, in this case according to the textbook you should have written nicht at the end "ich will das kaufen nicht", otherwise you should expect something else: "ich will das nicht kaufen (,sondern verkaufen)" but it doesn't sound good to me either. It's just confusing
>>
>>17793326

Go to a proper course? Duh.
>>
>>17793326
>What is the best way to learn German?
Go to Germany and speak German with Germans.
>>17793320
>Nichts und nicht sind unterschiedlich.
correct

>>17793293
"Weil sie für Jobs im Westen nicht qualifiziert waren"
"Weil sie nicht für Jobs im Westen qualifiziert waren"
"Nicht weil sie für Jobs im Westen qualifiziert waren"
>>
>>17793329
>Go to a proper course

Not cheap is it?
>>
>>17793320
>"In the west they were not qualified for jobs"

You could say that in German as well, "Im Westen waren sie nicht qualifiziert für Jobs.". However, you used "because" in your initial sentence. Your construction would work with "because" in English by saying "because in the west they were not qualified for jobs", but in German this construction is impossible. It's just grammatically incorrect.
>>
>>17793326
I am actually taking courses at Uni, shitpost on /int/'s German general, and watch German dubbed cartoons and use duolingo to help not get rusty when on breaks. Duolingo will get you somewhere, but without spending money on actual classes idk. I also hate online classes so results may vary.

>>17793328
the infinitive always goes at the end with modals, even my textbooks say that much
>>
>>17793337
Alright thanks, I think my uni does a Languages for All thing on the side of my course so I'll give it a look.
>>
https://deutsch.lingolia.com/de/grammatik/satzbau/verneinung

Die Verwendung von nicht

Wir verwenden nicht zur Negation:

von Verben
(nicht steht bei einfachen Zeitformen am Satzende, bei zusammengesetzten Zeitformen vor dem Vollverb am Satzende)

Beispiel:
Er schläft nicht.
Er hat gestern Nacht nicht geschlafen.

von Nomen mit bestimmtem Artikel oder Possessivpronomen
(nicht steht vor dem bestimmten Artikel)

Beispiel:
Er hat nicht das Essen bezahlt, sondern die Getränke.
Ich habe nicht seine Adresse, sondern ihre.

von Eigennamen
(nicht steht vor dem Eigennamen)

Beispiel:
Das ist nicht Udos Auto, sondern Susis.

von Pronomen
(nicht steht vor dem Pronomen)

Beispiel:
Ich habe nicht dich gerufen, sondern Petra.

von Adjektiven
(nicht steht vor dem Adjektiv)

Beispiel:
Das ist nicht fair!

von Adverbien
(nicht steht vor dem Adverb)

Beispiel:
Sie geht nicht gerne schwimmen.

von Ort, Zeit sowie Art/Weise
(nicht steht vor der Präposition, die zur Angabe von Ort, Zeit bzw. Art/Weise gehört)

Beispiel:
Wir wohnen nicht in Berlin.
Der Zug kommt nicht um 18 Uhr an.
Otto hat das Loch nicht mit dem Spaten gegraben.
>>
>>17793336
Ohhhh, so because für Jobs im Westen must be put together we have to consider them as one part?
>>
>>17793326
I think you should learn the basic rules and grammar and as much vocabulary as possible. Then watch and read German stuff. Play Vidya. Pokemon should work fine. You'll get used to it and make the correct decisions by instinct. I did the same for English and I think it worked pretty well. School didn't do shit for me.
>>
>>17793334

On the long run? Yes.
4channers don't have the discipline for self-study.

And you need feedback from qualified instructor.

Even if you self study from Assimil or FSI, you still need to go to German-speaking countries to polish your German.
>>
>>17793342
Yes! You got it!
Man, I'm glad you got what I was trying to tell you. Explaining grammar of your mother tongue is actually quite weird because you never think about it.
>>
I think people need to realize language learning, and perhaps other kind of learning, is all about repetition. It takes time.
>>
>>17793345
I like this idea, thanks mate.
>>
>>17793345
Welches Pokemon Spiel ist auf Deutsch am besten?
>>17793350
Danke schön für die Helfe. Yeah, you really do not have to think much to use your native language so it is weird to actually think about it to explain to someone.
>>
>>17793361
The trick is to not realize you're learning. Just do things you like, but in German. The more school-ish things get, the more unnatural they feel. And if things aren't natural they get exhausting and annoying. So if you minimize that, you maximize your stamina in the process. If you enjoy things, you can do them much longer.
>>
>>17793375
I am currently enjoying DuoLingo (would be on about 120 days in a row if it weren't for going to Festival) but I think you're right that it will eventually wear me out. Thanks.
>>
>>17793374
Das Niveau ist bei allen ähnlich. Aber ich denke am besten sind Feuerrot und Heart Gold weil sie die simpelsten Geschichten und darum den simpelsten Wortschatz haben.
>>
I always wanted to play games in German.
Games with a lot of text, JRPGs mainly.
Then I heard the translations are shit.
Like for FFVII and Suikoden games.

In the end, I just bought Deponia games when they were in sale on Gog.
You can mix match the audio and subtitle's language.
German audio and English subtitle, for example.
Very convenient.
>>
>>17793382
Ist es leicht Pokemon Spiele auf Deutsch am Internet zu finden? Ich spiele vielleicht Emerald, weil es mein erstes Pokemon Spiel ist.
>>
>>17793399
Google.
Emu____dise has it.
>>
>>17793402
Danke
>>
>>17793399
>am Internet
im Internet

Ich werde vielleicht Emerald spielen, weil es mein erstes Pokemon Spiel war.
oder
weil es mein allererstes Pokemon Spiel war.
>>
>>17793392
Not all are bad though. FFVIII and IX have great translations, especially IX is lovely and adorable. VIII is great because they swear a lot, calling people assholes and sons of bitches left and right, it's hilarious, but still a great translation apart from that. Pokemon is also really solid, as is the Zelda Series.

Many JRPG dont have German translations though, which was the reason while I started playing in English in the first place. My first English game was Megaman Battle Network 4, that was in fourth grade.
>>
>>17793410
>im Internet
Fuck. 3 Semester und ich bin noch dumm
>>
>>17793399
Nicht schlecht senpai
>>
>>17793421
Reason why, not while, sorry.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XemmMwOQy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruIe9VpOjBU
>>
>>17793425
Denkst du das? Ich fühle, dass Pokemon langweilig jetzt sind. Als Kind gefällt es mir viel aber heutzutage ist es einfach eine Plackerei
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFa0T0PmKxk
>>
>>17793421
Seems FFVII has a fan translation.
http://www.cebix.net/ff7/
>>
>>17793438
Not that anon who wrote that, but:
Ich spiele seit dem ersten Spiel und mag Pokemon noch immer. X/Y war schlecht und OR/AS enttäuschend, aber Sonne/Mond finde ich bisher recht gut. Ich finde die besten beiden Pokemon Spiele sind Heart Gold und Weiss 2.
>>
>>17793447
Ich habe kein Pokemon seit Platinum gespielt. Mein Kumpel hat Sonne oder Mond, ich weiß nicht, und er hat mir gesagt, er macht viel Spaß mit dem Spiel. Aber es macht nichts zu mir, weil ich habe kein DS jetzt.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.