[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm a Communications major and I'm writing a research

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1476983741894s.jpg (2KB, 88x125px) Image search: [Google]
1476983741894s.jpg
2KB, 88x125px
So I'm a Communications major and I'm writing a research paper on Women in action films and how they have been portrayed in the last 30 years. I make references to movies such as Aliens, Edge of Tomorrow, Hunger Games, etc, that feature a strong female lead who isn't a damsel in distress. I noticed within my research that when a strong female lead is in an action film, it has a higher box office results (EX: Mad Max Fury Road). So I was wondering if anyone knew any good Mass Media theory that I could use to help support my research paper on stronger female leads bring in more money? I have the typical theories from my text books such as Gender theory and Feminist theory, but I don't think it connects well to my paper. Please help? Pic unrelated, just figured it would get your attention.
>>
>>17788729
Not much of a theory but if I remember right, most movie goers and readers are women, so a movie with a female protagonist speaks too them more directly.
>>
>>17788729
Nice thumbnail you dumb faggot
>>
Your research paper is YOURS.

Write your own paper and come up with your own theories.
>>
>>17788796
Unfortunately I can not come up with my own theory. I have to use a professional published theory to help support my argument
>>
>>17788729

Perhaps you have only heard of the famous and critically acclaimed female-led movies, and the ones that did poorly are never talked about.

Also, it is possible that, due to the low number of films with female leads, directors are more cautious about making such a movie, and thus are more careful (i.e. better) about casting. A parallel thought is that directors/studios only agree to make female-led action movies if they are 100% sure it will do well (good script, etc.), and thus bad female-led movies aren't made often.

I have no idea, but these are just thoughts. Especially get some info to defend your argument from the first point.

>>17788790

I doubt this is true
>>
>>17788811
http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2013_032514-v2.pdf
Page 13.

https://www.arts.gov/sites/default/files/2012-sppa-jan2015-rev.pdf
Page 73.

>A parallel thought is that directors/studios only agree to make female-led action movies if they are 100% sure it will do well (good script, etc.), and thus bad female-led movies aren't made often.
This makes sense though. Then again, it's hard to be 100% certain about something and a good script doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>17788811
Well one of the arguments I made in my paper was how the character Ripley (Alien franchise) was considered the first "action lady" of the 1980's and possibly started the first female action lead. Then I made a statement that another female lead of the 1980's Red Sonja, was a financial failed film due to the fact that it focused too much on sex appeal rather than character development. So what I would like to do is compare the box office and critical results of both films and explain why Aliens did better than Red Sonja as an example. But in order to do that I need a communication theory to support that. Like the best theory I can think of is the Altercasting theory but that maybe not enough to prove why the Ripley character did so well.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.