[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any experience overcoming laziness and procrastination?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Twitter9b597ad.jpg (64KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
Twitter9b597ad.jpg
64KB, 277x182px
Anyone have any experience overcoming laziness and procrastination? Here is my typical day:

>Have 100 pages of reading to do for grad school
>Wake up at 8 am
>realize only got five or six hours of sleep and that isn't enough to stay focused
> try to sleep again for another hour but it isn't happening
> check my phone by my bed for Facebook and texts
> spend the next four hours lying in bed watching YouTube on my iPad
> it is now around noon or one. Get up to shit, take iPad with me
> spend at least thirty minutes on the can just watching YouTube
> then shower for thirty minutes
> then spend another thirty minutes on my towel playing guitar to YouTube videos
> It is now around three pm
> go downstairs to eat, watch iPad while eating. Suddenly five pm
> head to the library to work, no luck there cuz now I'm texting and twittering
> in class can't follow along cuz I'm behind on the readings
> get home at 11, exhausted and depressed, promise to go to bed by midnight to feel refreshed tomorrow
> the sirens of YouTube draw me in again, suddenly it's 3 am, too tired to get up to turn off the lights
> wake up at eight am again, repeat

I know I have to spend less time online. But why won't I do it?
>>
I find if u make vow to not touch phone or electronic at all since u wake up until end of day it helps. Or just dont charge them and leave it be. Addiction is horrible but one step at a time. Distance urself from these things is the best thing to do. Oddly im going through the same thing.
>>
>>17784789
It's accessible
You need to cut the devices out of your life.
1.Sell your Ipad
2. Get rid of your smart phone and get a flip
3. Get a routine down a follow it
Something like
Wake up at 9am
Workout (it helps with energy believe it or not)
11am -1 study/homework
and fill in your free time with things you like to do that don't involve your ipad or smartphone
treat those things like rewards
Bottom line if you don't get rid of your distractions you'll never get out of that cycle you don't have the will power so you need to toss those things
>>
Adding to the stuff earlier anons said:

If you have something on the internet you want to look at, save it for later. Making it so you don't immediately click on and do things that have caught your interest helps curb device addiction. Save it for later, go through it when you have free time.

I also recommend making the work process as enjoyable as possible. Figure out what helps you focus, and implement it. Some people work best with no distractions whatsoever. Some people work best with a little bit of ambiance, like music, to keep up energy and maintain focus. Some people work best with a lot of ambiance, such as a movie playing in the background or the bustle of a coffeeshop. How do you work best? Make your work place as ideal as possible.

If you're at all like me, you need at least a bit of distraction just to maintain interest. I get bored as all hell when I have nothing going on except work, and that makes me so desperate for stimulus that I stop working. Find a balance. No phone or iPad, but find some sort of stimulus (again, like music) to keep you entertained. If you can make working more fun, you will work longer and better.

I also can't stress enough the importance of making work a habit. It's how you cultivate discipline. Set a time for work, and do your work. It sucks, but when you get into the swing of it, your brain will automatically know when it is time to work and will switch gears much more easily. I used to hate the idea of having a schedule because Muh Spontaneity and Muh Freedum, but it really does make a huge difference. If you can't set a specific time due to scheduling conflicts, have some other cue that you use when you start work, every time. The same location, the same snack, the same hat. Something that signals "work time now". The more of these signals you can cultivate, the better you will be able to get into a work mode. As long as you do not let the preparation and the signals themselves become a distraction.
>>
>>17784789
The plain truth is you're already contaminated after years upon years of using your computer as easy and quick entertainment.
Now it's hopeless unless you're actually committed in fighting your way through every little step of this addiction, which in turn means you're gonna need to pull some conscious effort into overcoming the desire to needlessly check bullshit online (such as 4chan for instance) when you're supposed to do something else instead.
Things is most aren't because it's much easier to simply waste the prime of your life in delicious virtual trivial pleasures than painfully getting real life shit done.

Now I'm gonna be very blunt with you OP. By your message alone you don't seem to realize the degree of discomfort and pain you're gonna have to endure in order to chance such deep ingrained habit, which sadly makes me conclude you're probably gonna throw the towels a few weeks in.
I hope I'm wrong though and I wish you best of luck.
>>
>>17784789
At least you somehow manage to wake up at 8 am. I've been days and days waking up around 2 PM.
>>
Thank you everyone for your help and honesty.

>>17785037
I would like nothing more than to be able to sleep eight hours, I'm exhausted throughout the day.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.