[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was your first job, and how did you get it? I've applied

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

What was your first job, and how did you get it?

I've applied to 27 positions in person, and five online. There's a hiring event in the morning which I'm going to try to attend. I'm attentive, polite, and I like to believe I get along well with others. I dress presentably, and thank each potential employer for their consideration. Yet I'm nervous and lack confidence, which puts off the employer.

I've had three callbacks. My family is accruing debt that I can't help them get out of.

When I'm not brushing up on my interview or social skills I'm checking job boards, advertisements, or finding odd-jobs through word of mouth.

I might even suck dick if it meant paying rent, I don't want to give up my integrity but I'm getting desperate and my situation is only getting worse. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
>>
I should add that I'm 20, I have my high school diploma, and I've been out of school for a year.
>>
Have you EVER had a job?
>>
>>17783321
No, I've never had a job.
>>
>>17783323
What sort of jobs are you applying for? Are you selective, or are you applying for anything and everything?
>>
>>17783327
Entry level positions, restaurants, retail outlets.
I've applied anywhere and everywhere I qualify for.

I try to tailor my cover letter to the location and employer I want to impress.
>>
Why are you nervous

Confidence is one of the key things employers look for
I wish I could see you in an interview

Here's some funny thing kinda related

youtube.com/watch?v=f2rgzsO-AMM
>>
>>17783309

Look into tv services like direct tv. I've heard theyre always desperate to hire more people. They train you to install dishes and such
>>
>>17783340
I don't know. I'm very terrified of people and when I'm in public I can barely string a coherent thought together.

I still try doing things out of my comfort zone everyday, and seek counselling services.
>>
>>17783352
What about an at home job then

You could transcribe video subtitles
Or do voice calls
Or teach yourself some webpage development which is easier than you would think

Just lie about your experience on your resume and learn while making your sample for them

Or you could suck dick for cash
>>
>>17783350
I'll look for something like that. Thank you.
>>17783362
I never considered it since I'm not tech savvy, but I'll do my best. Do you have any tips for webpage development? I'm looking at some courses now.

I might have to lie, but I'd rather go home smelling like French fry oil than dick.
>>
>>17783376

Yeah don't resort to dick sucking. If u have a Webcam you can masturbate for fags and keep some of your dignity.

Also look into labor jobs. The work is hard and sometimes painful but the pay is usually decent, set schedules and sometimes health benifits if it might break your body.
Lumber mills, factories, hell even fruit picking jobs. They'll hire basically anyone
>>
>>17783387
I've looked into labor jobs before and applied to the local smelter, but I never heard back. It's disappointing. Thank you for the help, I'll try the recommendations from this thread and keep it open.
>>
>>17783309

My first job was in Abercrombie&Fitch. I applied online and got pulled into a dreadful group based interview.

Every other position I've held has been the result of networking, which seems to be the way forward.
>>
>>17783399

Follow up visits work best. They want to know you want the job so you show up early on a weekday (before lunch time) and ask to speak to a manager/supervisor. Tell them you put in an application and were just checking back to see if they need help yet.
Managers rarely go out of their way to call back when so many other people just come back in.
>>
just keep applying my dude. how long have you been searching?

i spent a year looking for a job in a small country in south east asia, with nothing to show for it. i moved to australia. 4 months of job searching and i got a job. i've been in this position for a year now.

like you, i had no experience beforehand. and i was older than you (23), which is a disadvantage cos they're like why have you had no work before.

but anyway, just keep going. if you're sure there's nothing wrong with your cover letters and CV/Resume, then just keep doing what you're doing. it is a bit of a numbers game, especially in entry level positions.

i lack confidence, am socially awkward and i still did alright. the job that i got the offer for - i thought i bombed that interview. i thought it was my worst interview. but its the only one i got an offer for.
>>
>>17783309
cleaner/trolley pusher. it fucking sucks but you'd have to be retarded not to get the job, and then at least you have something to put on your resume.
>>
>>17783422
sorry should have mentioned this job (my first one) is at the head office of an international franchise company. my title is administration and marketing support - but really i just do whatever the CEO wants me to do. She is the one who interviewed me and hired me.

i'm being paid fuck all, and from the people i've spoken to about my job, i'm supposed to be paid at least more than double what i am being paid. in reality i have an executive assistant position but... oh well. i don't have much choice. if i don't have this job i'm homeless.
>>
>>17783415
Thanks for sharing man, I've been pulled into a dreaded group interview once.
>>17783419
Thanks for the advice. I've made sure to follow up with nearly every employer over the last few months.
>>17783422
>>17783428
I've been searching here for one year and three months. Thank you anon, I appreciate it. There's nothing you can do but keep trying. I thought one of my recent interviews was excellent, but I only realized afterwards he's been through this process dozens of times and was putting on an act. I hope it gets better.
>>17783426
After this year I'm starting to question that.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.