[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are relationships between two people with diametrically opposed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: potd-corbyn_3457949b.jpg (119KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
potd-corbyn_3457949b.jpg
119KB, 620x387px
are relationships between two people with diametrically opposed political values viable?
>>
>Guess we'll agree to disagree.
Something everyone says or thinks several times in their life.
>>
>>17781894
Depends more on overall values that lead them to their views.
>>
>>17781894
Depends what you mean by relationship.

If you mean simply being friends, then it's a non-issue because you see the said friend only from time to time and you can refrain from talking politics or subjects related to it.

If it's dating etc. then it's a completely different situation. To truly achieve a good relationship you need to share basically everything with your S.O.

And politics isn't just politics. Might be so on the surface, but people who have fundamentally different views on politics also have fundamentally different views about human nature and society as a whole. It can't work for long and eventually you will find yourself under a massive load of disagreements with your S.O on multiple issues. Especially nowadays when politics are so polarized, a great example would be the US election where both sides hate eachothers guts. There's no way around your problem
>>
>>17781909
>To truly achieve a good relationship you need to share basically everything with your S.O.
Meh, too many similarities would lead to stagnation.

>a great example would be the US election
I know couple really social liberal people who considered voting for Trump to force a system reset, while opposing pretty much all of his policies and rhetoric.
>>
>>17781894
Depends on how militant they are about their political views. It's not ideology but the need to impose it that ruins a relationship.

I personally think gays shouldn't marry and transexuals are mentally sick, but I'm not gonna disrespect or try to convince anyone who believes the opposite. Not even a transexual. So I've never had any problem dealing with anyone, unless they themselves where the ones trying to impose their mindset.
>>
>>17781894
diametrically what? lol
>>
>>17781894
They can be, but it requires a degree of mutual respect for the opposition as people that honestly isn't so common in this day and age. Are you both prepared?
>>
>>17781894
I think it works well if you both aren't extremely emotional about things. If you're the kind of person who gets really mad over politics, obviously don't do it.
Another thing that is fundamental is not being the kind of person who thinks that world is divided in people who agree with them and idiots.

It is also kind of topic-specific for me. For example I can understand someone having different views on economy, welfare or electoral system but I would have an hard time dating someone who doesn't have the same views I have on personal rights.
There are also some issues that really get me emotional - for example I wouldn't be able to date someone who thinks that big pharma gives autism to kids through vaccines, but having different views on death penalty or owning guns wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
>>
>>17781921
>Meh, too many similarities would lead to stagnation.
To an extent, but we're talking about extreme differences. A collectivist and an individualist have some very different values for instance, and I don't really see that being resolved. Especially if children were thrown into the mix.

A moderate conservative and a moderate liberal should have no glaring problems with healthy communication on the flipside, but they also share more values than not.
>>
>>17781894
I personally avoid talking politics with friends or S.O's, 'cause I know that things can get really ugly. And it has worked for me. Politics aren't an issue, but it's the values that you can't avoid.
>>
The old saying goes as "opposites attract"...but research generally suggests couple who have more in common have a better chance of staying together in the long run. But yeah, Some couples absolutely thrive on a narcissist/very sub dynamic
>>
They can if you can shrug shit off and not act like a total /pol/tard and start autistically screeching when someone baits you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.