[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I break away from my 'smart, but lazy' ways?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1479531237880.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1479531237880.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
How do I break away from my 'smart, but lazy' ways?

People constantly tell me that I'm intelligent and it kills me because I'm spending so much time on the computer. I don't even play video games or watch anime. I could be doing so much with my life and I come up with excuse after excuse to not do much of anything with it. I usually go on the computer because it lowers my anxiety, but my usage messes me up in so many ways. It feels like I need some sort of constant motivation or someone to support me and be on my side. There's more to add, but I'm too tired (shock). Advice?
>>
This isn't relationship stuff, but I really need help with this and I bet other people here do too.
>>
>>17779657
They only perceive you as intelligent because, most likely, you're a silent person and thus gives the image of always being in deep thought

If you were really smart you wouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>17779657
Realize that being smart but lazy isn't worth any more than being the hottest guy on Mars. If you don't do anything with what you got, you'll never accomplish shit. Some kid with down syndrome will achieve more than you if he tries.

If that's not motivation enough... focus on small steps.
>>
>>17779718
Then forget I mentioned the "I'm smart" bit and please give me advice.
>>17779728
I made this thread because I realized my lifestyle isn't at all worth it, so I've already realized it. What are the small steps?
>>
File: mVtXKZG.jpg (241KB, 500x4014px) Image search: [Google]
mVtXKZG.jpg
241KB, 500x4014px
>>17779657
>>
Sounds like you need self control
>>
>>17779741
You have to look deeper.
First of all are you currently in school? If you're not motivated to study then try getting a a part-time job to pay off your fees instead of your parents doing it for you. Getting a job and paying for your schooling on your own will make you put more effort into your studies and procrastinate less as you're paying from your own pocket. It will also help you manage your time wisely and develop social skills that might help with your social anxiety.

What courses are you taking?
Do you find a particular subject boring that makes you put those things aside until the last minute? If so, study or do assignments on that subject for at least one hour every day. If you can't handle doing that cut it down to 30 mins exactly. And build from there.
If you find a subject interesting but still struggle to do the work, then all it takes is a little willpower. Click that "X" sign in your browser. Just DO IT! Telling yourself that it's literally as easy as pushing a button to end your procrastination will make you more likely to do it. If you find yourself coming back to the internet try getting a site blocker add on for your browser, block the site, and when you're finished doing the work, award yourself with free time but only with a fixed amount of time (negative reinforcement).

If you're not in school, spend all your internet time watching intelligent documentaries about topics you're interested about. Being smart isn't all about just learning things easily but having the thirst to learn. And make this an enjoyable experience. Watch in your bed while drinking a warm beverage or something.

Don't worry OP I used to be like you. What solved my problem mostly is getting a job and cutting down my 4chan time. It gave structure to my life and helped me define a goal to work towards.
>>
>>17779657
You are smart in the sense that you aren't a poor black kid in the ghetto born out of a crackhead
When people tell you you are smart they mean average and average people achieve average things, everyone around you is smart
As in actual smart as in overachiever or gifted, no you are not
In all honesty you are a bit under average told else this shouldn't be a problem but that's ok too
>>
>>17779657
that guy looks like a chad
does he legit get no matches?
>>
>>17779792
He matched two girls in heaven
>>
>>17779778
Thank you for this post!
>If you find yourself coming back to the internet try getting a site blocker add on for your browser, block the site, and when you're finished doing the work, award yourself with free time but only with a fixed amount of time (negative reinforcement).
This piece helped a lot.
>>17779792
That chad is dead, anon
>>
>>17779798
No problemo anono

Also try checking out youtube videos for procrastination and such, helped me a lot too.
>>
>>17779657
This might help your issue, but I guarantee nothing. It could be perhaps too meta.

From my experience the only way intelligent people estimate other people's intelligence is by looking at what their mind produces after a long period of working hard on a problem.
There are two things you may not be accustomed to and can improved upon, in loose terms, one is to motivate and the other is to avoid being demotivated
1) Time scale (in seconds)
level 1: 10^1 (minute) - level 3: 10^3 (hour) - level 5: 10^5 (day) - level 6: 10^6(week) - level 7: 10^7(year) - level 9: 10^9 (lifetime)
Many people are not used to thinking hard for more than a few minutes or even a few seconds (depressing) or so. But it's actually crucial, I don't know of any intelligent person who isn't at least at level 6, and it has nothing to do with being in academia and the likes. I chatted with a carpenter who spent that much time to produce a brilliant solution to a mixed integer optimization problem using layman concepts. On the other hand, there are many young students who perform very well on level 1 exercises (IQ puzzles) but with proper motivation their capacity reached average when encountered level 3 problems, and less than average when not motivated. Believe it or not vast majority of underachievers in academia fall into this category. Some dropouts like Steve Jobs or Zuckerberg are all at level 7 to 9. And they did not do badly in school. That guy at the top of your (college) class is likely level 5. All famous scientists or university professors are at level 8 - 9. Assigning a level to yourself and see what you produce when you move up the scale could be fun and motivating.
So I don't think doing multiple 5 minutes exercises could qualify someone for being intelligent, but that or some criteria similar to that in effect, is actually what many people used to judge someone's intelligence. Thus it leads to the 'smart but lazy' misnomer.
(cont)
>>
>>17779815
2) Failure
Try to cultivate the attitude that investigation of a problem is always worthwhile even when it does not give you the immediate satisfaction of solving the problem. Say you apply to some university and got rejected, or you failed to do some assignments, well, get comfortable with the idea that you haven't solve the problem but what you had is something fun, something to ponder about when you are in a boring meeting for example, and you did something positive towards solving it. If you are used to failure you will less likely be demotivated.
>>
>>17779815
Is this copy pasta?
Probably the most autistic thing I read all week
You realize the futility of trying to measure a concept that's completely abstract and only exists in the human language right?
>>
>>17779815
>level 1: 10^1 (minute) - level 3: 10^3 (hour) - level 5: 10^5 (day) - level 6: 10^6(week) - level 7: 10^7(year) - level 9: 10^9 (lifetime)

you know I had always wondered what was meant when some things I've read had people describing themselves as an "Nth level intellect"

I'd rate myself at level 3 normally

level 5-6 at the possibility of getting payed for custom work
>>
>>17779815
>>17779818
I really appreciate these posts. Thanks.
It's almost 1 am here, so I'm heading off to bed. I'll be sure to not hop right on the computer after waking up.
>>
>>17779863
Because they are telling you what you want to hear and not what you need to hear right?
>>
>>17779833
>>17779868
stop being so upset, anon. Your autism is showing, which is very ironical.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.